New England Patriots @ Dolphins Post game thread | Page 57 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New England Patriots @ Dolphins Post game thread

My thoughts on the game:

1) Coming into this year I wanted our new offense to control the ball much better than we did last year (avoid constant 3 and outs) and to raise our scoring average from 20 to 27-28 range. On the positive side we were able to control the ball better and sustain some drives even when not scoring, we were deep in our territory several times but managed a few first downs and enough yards to flip the field on NE. This helped keep our defense fresh which was key as their strong effort was needed to secure the win with several turnovers and the score.

On the negative side we were right on our same old 20 point a game average and that with the defensive score. This simply needs to change if we want to compete with the upper echelon. Scoring points is pretty obvious but it was disappointing to seemingly be able to move the ball but come out with just 2 FG's on top of the great 4th and 7 call to Waddle for our lone TD.

2) Speaking of 4th and 7, what a call and how refreshing this coach is. This play was a microcosm of his overall aggressive mentality with other 4th down decisions and also his penchant to throw deep in our territory or late in the game when in the past we would almost always clench up and just run 3 straight for 2 yards and then punt. I thought the overall coaching demeanor was great, play calls had motion and some innovation, setting up other plays off those concepts in the future.

3) Running the ball was a struggle most of the game but they came through late with some nice plays by both Edmonds and Mostert. I was surprised NE played 8 in the box most of the game, I had thought with our speed at WR that would be hard for teams to do to us now but I guess not, or at least not yesterday.

4) NE was able to pressure Tua consistently so we never could really make them pay for the crowded box although there were some opportunities we just didn't hit yesterday. Hopefully coaching and film work will clean that up in coming weeks. The naked boot leg action almost always left Tua with an immediate defender in his face which is really a problem as Tua is at his worst in those situations, throwing off balance or out of position with little power on the ball, and/or he get's sacked and often fumbles. Coach needs to look hard at those naked boot concepts and dial them down so more of a surprise when called or have a TE/FB over there to provide additional protection.

5) X is great but he was clearly holding on the non-call early in the game where we got the tipped ball INT in the endzone. If he is called for that which he will be 90% of the time they are up 7-0 and it could have been a completely different ballgame. When he was called later in the game on NE's scoring drive he was doing it again although not nearly as conspicuous and I thought that was a ticky tack call on a big 4th down play. He'll need to clean that up.

6) Our pass rush was disappointing. Many have called out Phillips and I agree, he just had nothing for that O-line. I thought we would dial back the blitzing with B. Jones out and we seemed to do that, showed blitz but dropped most in coverage often. Of course we got the score off a very well timed blitz but overall without blitzing Mac had all day to throw.

7) Our run D was also pretty rough although they tightened up and the overall stats aren't bad. A couple of those drives though felt like NE could just get 7 or 8 yards a play consistently. Hopefully better tackling and edge support and we'll do better here.

8) This game seemed very much like many of our games last year. The defense controlled an outmatched offense most of the game, they bended at times but didn't break as they got a couple 4th down stops and the 3 turnovers. Love that they were able to score. Unfortunately with that said the offense even with our WR speed and new concepts and the feeling that they were close to breaking out, just didn't and we are right back on 20 points for the game when one more score in the 2nd half there would have really broken the game open. Look at KC, they have no mercy on you and just keep scoring until you go belly up. Our offense left NE in the game almost until the very end which I thought was disappointing as we had our opportunities.

9) Tua did not turn the ball over but not for lack of trying it seemed at some points. He throws a great slant and is pretty spot on with the quick read throws on short-breaking routes. However, some call it hero ball but whatever it is, there were a half dozen plays that just made me cringe and we were fortunate fumbles or floaters were not turned over. He needs to really tighten up there or those plays will turn into turnovers and if we are still only scoring moderately then that will cost us games down the line. You can play aggressive and turn the ball over once or twice if you're hitting big plays to counter and putting up serious points. Until we show we can actually do that we need to take care of that ball so hopefully he improves.

10) I thought this was a must-win game coming in and we got the W and how sweet it is to be on a winning streak over those patsies that beat the snot out of us for so many years. So glad Brady is in Tampa. Big W and think we can get another one at the Ravens this week. We do though have to get a lot better offensively if we hope to compete with Buffalo or KC if not a few others which is the big picture ultimately but a great start and I'm stoked!

My thoughts on the game:

1) Coming into this year I wanted our new offense to control the ball much better than we did last year (avoid constant 3 and outs) and to raise our scoring average from 20 to 27-28 range. On the positive side we were able to control the ball better and sustain some drives even when not scoring, we were deep in our territory several times but managed a few first downs and enough yards to flip the field on NE. This helped keep our defense fresh which was key as their strong effort was needed to secure the win with several turnovers and the score.

On the negative side we were right on our same old 20 point a game average and that with the defensive score. This simply needs to change if we want to compete with the upper echelon. Scoring points is pretty obvious but it was disappointing to seemingly be able to move the ball but come out with just 2 FG's on top of the great 4th and 7 call to Waddle for our lone TD.

2) Speaking of 4th and 7, what a call and how refreshing this coach is. This play was a microcosm of his overall aggressive mentality with other 4th down decisions and also his penchant to throw deep in our territory or late in the game when in the past we would almost always clench up and just run 3 straight for 2 yards and then punt. I thought the overall coaching demeanor was great, play calls had motion and some innovation, setting up other plays off those concepts in the future.

3) Running the ball was a struggle most of the game but they came through late with some nice plays by both Edmonds and Mostert. I was surprised NE played 8 in the box most of the game, I had thought with our speed at WR that would be hard for teams to do to us now but I guess not, or at least not yesterday.

4) NE was able to pressure Tua consistently so we never could really make them pay for the crowded box although there were some opportunities we just didn't hit yesterday. Hopefully coaching and film work will clean that up in coming weeks. The naked boot leg action almost always left Tua with an immediate defender in his face which is really a problem as Tua is at his worst in those situations, throwing off balance or out of position with little power on the ball, and/or he get's sacked and often fumbles. Coach needs to look hard at those naked boot concepts and dial them down so more of a surprise when called or have a TE/FB over there to provide additional protection.

5) X is great but he was clearly holding on the non-call early in the game where we got the tipped ball INT in the endzone. If he is called for that which he will be 90% of the time they are up 7-0 and it could have been a completely different ballgame. When he was called later in the game on NE's scoring drive he was doing it again although not nearly as conspicuous and I thought that was a ticky tack call on a big 4th down play. He'll need to clean that up.

6) Our pass rush was disappointing. Many have called out Phillips and I agree, he just had nothing for that O-line. I thought we would dial back the blitzing with B. Jones out and we seemed to do that, showed blitz but dropped most in coverage often. Of course we got the score off a very well timed blitz but overall without blitzing Mac had all day to throw.

7) Our run D was also pretty rough although they tightened up and the overall stats aren't bad. A couple of those drives though felt like NE could just get 7 or 8 yards a play consistently. Hopefully better tackling and edge support and we'll do better here.

8) This game seemed very much like many of our games last year. The defense controlled an outmatched offense most of the game, they bended at times but didn't break as they got a couple 4th down stops and the 3 turnovers. Love that they were able to score. Unfortunately with that said the offense even with our WR speed and new concepts and the feeling that they were close to breaking out, just didn't and we are right back on 20 points for the game when one more score in the 2nd half there would have really broken the game open. Look at KC, they have no mercy on you and just keep scoring until you go belly up. Our offense left NE in the game almost until the very end which I thought was disappointing as we had our opportunities.

9) Tua did not turn the ball over but not for lack of trying it seemed at some points. He throws a great slant and is pretty spot on with the quick read throws on short-breaking routes. However, some call it hero ball but whatever it is, there were a half dozen plays that just made me cringe and we were fortunate fumbles or floaters were not turned over. He needs to really tighten up there or those plays will turn into turnovers and if we are still only scoring moderately then that will cost us games down the line. You can play aggressive and turn the ball over once or twice if you're hitting big plays to counter and putting up serious points. Until we show we can actually do that we need to take care of that ball so hopefully he improves.

10) I thought this was a must-win game coming in and we got the W and how sweet it is to be on a winning streak over those patsies that beat the snot out of us for so many years. So glad Brady is in Tampa. Big W and think we can get another one at the Ravens this week. We do though have to get a lot better offensively if we hope to compete with Buffalo or KC if not a few others which is the big picture ultimately but a great start and I'm stoked!
I believe they played 8 in the box because Belichick knew his defense could stop the run and prevent the Dolphins from completing deep passes to Hill and Waddle by getting pressure on Tua immediately. He was very aware that the OL is the Dolphins weakness on offense and the OL continued to struggle opening holes in the running game and seemed confused as to who to block when the the Dolphins were in a passing situation.

There were far too many defensive rushers untouched when Tua was setting up to pass the ball.

LOL... IDK about "any time". I doubt, very seriously, if he makes that call with 2:45 left on the clock. He has guts, but isn't a moron.
I believe they had another 4th down conversion with the Tua hard count and that was early in the game.

Highest graded Dolphins against New England (min. 25% snaps)

1️⃣ Kader Kohou: 91.2
2️⃣ Connor Williams: 82.3
3️⃣ Melvin Ingram: 76.8
4️⃣ Emmanuel Ogbah: 76.5
5️⃣ Jaylen Waddle: 75.4

I haven't done my rewatch yet, but my initial impression was that Tua held the ball too long, too many times. He needs give up on the play a little sooner, or run or just take the sack.

That's fair.

I felt the first sack was on him. He stepped up in the pocket and just stood there patting the ball until the hit came. Seems like he needs to make quicker decisions when the play goes off schedule.

Back
Top Bottom