New FB onboard? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New FB onboard?

Originally posted by Ozzy

AMEN GROOVES!!!!

I've yet to see Konrad prove anything! He may not have been given many opportunities, but he really sqaundered those opportunties when they came about.

But I really think that this move has a hidden agenda, like trading him for a good draft pick next year. They might already have a deal in the works, plus signing this new guy now would not cost the team anything towards the cap if he were to be cut later on.............

He had just a handful of opportunities in all the years under Chan's offense. FB was used as much as TE in Gailey's offense.

Grooves, EXCELLENT point on the thought of moving Konrad to TE! I had thought about that whenever it was that Mayes sprained her ankle ;) but hadn't really thought about it since.

It makes total sense. The only point that I will debate you on is having three FB's on the active roster come Sept. Thus your idea of putting Konrad at TE and cutting Mayes would fit like a glove.

Konrad down the middle of the field...I can see it. :D

Originally posted by booyeah_

He had just a handful of opportunities in all the years under Chan's offense. FB was used as much as TE in Gailey's offense.

True, he was not given a LOT of oppurtunities... but when he was he seemed confused and didn't make much of them.

Jed Weaver was also not given many oppurtunities, but just about every time he was, he MADE something of them. It was always a big gain, or a first down, or a TD. That in my opinion warrants some optimism.

Konrad's tentative running and tendency to stutter-step to avoid contact, on the other hand, does not get me excited about the possibilities. He reminds me of a bigger slower JJJ. He is constantly talked about how he will "develop" into a playmaker... but shows no signs of it on the field to warrant that talk, and we all know what happened to JJJ. :)

Originally posted by grooves12

He is constantly talked about how he will "develop" into a playmaker... but shows no signs of it on the field to warrant that talk, and we all know what happened to JJJ. :)

Yea he was shipped off to the Browns, and was converted to FB...lol

Konrad went down the middle of the field before...not very successfully...but the wind took the ball a little to the right making him turn awkwardly for it but still it hit his hands.

An interesting notion but considering Konrad's been a FB/RB throughout his career he probably doesn't have the first clue where route-running is concerned especially with the routes that Norv likes to run the TE with. We'll see.

Interesting point to bring up though...Ayanbadejo and Dyer as FBs, and Konrad as TE.

Ozzy

"I've yet to see Konrad prove anything! He may not have been given many opportunities, but he really sqaundered those opportunties when they came about."

Pretty harsh and subjective! Care to elaborate?

Fact is that he is the starting FB, and has been for the past two years, ahead of a well respected Deon Dyer, who was a better fit for Gailey's FB blocking scheme. Rob must be doing something right.

It is amazing the difference of opinions on this move by Wanny. Some have Rob being cut in camp, some have Dyer being let go, and some take the press reports at face value that OA is a back-up and STer. Those that see all sorts of secretive strategies by Wanny, regardless of the fact that he never indicated the FB position as one to be worked on, are reading all kinds of things into this move. Great fodder for speculation.

I look forward to your Objective reports from TC. You may be the first among us to see what is going on at the FB position, not to mention other areas of interest (TE, OL, etc.).

I give up.

As I alluded to in the infamous "Denny" thread, I have been attempting for five years to participate on MB's, the past three on Dolphins MBs. I have struggled with the issue of having a genuine interest in discussing the fortune of the Dolphins on one hand, and having a son play for the team, on the other.

I have "inside" info. gleaned from such occasions as recent fishing trips with players, visits by Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, and a lunch conversation with Norv Turner. Much of what I learned unfortunately can't be shared on a MB, as much as I would like to (I got into trouble doing that during my son's college days).

Everyone on a MB has different sources of information and forms opinions based on perceptions and biases. Significant cognitive differences result in quite diverse ideas being developed and expressed, as is illustrated in this thread. Despite the press reports on the OA signing stating that his role is as back-up and ST, we see posters like Ozzy, ckparrothead, and grooves12 lambasting Rob Konrad's performance and abilities, and purporting the rise of OA to the starting FB position. This is fine given the absence of Rob's ability to illustrate his capabilities in Gailey's system plus the fact that the OA signing came out of the blue with little explaination. Very fertile ground for speculation.

I have no problem with anyone's opinion, especially if supported with pertinent facts. When it comes to issues about my son, I am well aware that I look through rose colored glasses. I try, probably not very successfully, to respond to comments I disagree with on a non-emotional basis prefering to address the reasoning behind such statements.

There are those posters that I deem quite knowledgeable, and there are those that shoot from the hip. This MB is the best I've seen at keeping the trash out, and the posts from opposing fans are kept in check with some good dialog and a minimum of smack.

Congratulations - its not easy to accomplish the quality that exists here.

But, as I did last season, I will delete the Dolphins MBs from my Favorites list from the beginning of TC to the end of the season. I have still not figured out how to participate so that I can enjoy the experience and at the same time add value to the MB, given my situation. It is extremely frustrating addressing comments that I know are false based on my knowledge from the "horse's mouth" that I can't divulge.

This whole FB thing will work itself out shortly, and I have no knowledge at this point as to what it is all about. By tonight I will. I just don't enjoy hearing about Rob's lack of ability from a fan who knows less than 10% about him than I do and "rose colored glasses" aside, I don't enjoy having to be so thick skinned and having to refrain from lashing out at misinformed or unjustified comments.

Let me emphatically state that this is NOT a negative commentary on this MB or its participants. It is just a statement of my frustration about my own lack of ability to figure out how to participate.

I will end with: "GO PHINS - SB BOUND"

lloyd. sorry to see you go. Having inside info as you stated could be a problem for you, I understand that. We here do the best we can with what were given.

I won't ask who your son is, but if it is Rob, please don't take what we say here personally. We are all in the dark, and (especially in my point of view) we are throwing out guesses based on what we know, or don't know for that matter.

I hope you stay, simply add what you can, when you can, and get a good chuckle out of our ramblings in the meanwhile.

Whoever your son is, I wish you and him a healthy and productive season!! Thanks for your contributions thus far.

P.S. I just re-read your last post, and I am assuming that Rob is your son. If that is the case, I need to clarify something for you. I like Rob as a player, and really don't want him to be traded.

It was mere specualtion based on tha fact that we probably won't carry three FB's into the season, and why sign a guy of A.O. talent level if your only going to cut him by the end of T.C? It is just confusing

So off went my thoughts! lol

Sorry if I offended you, but it was just me point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd - if you are Rob's Dad:
#1 congrats and a great job ! :jumper:
#2 I agree that 2002 will be a make or break year for him and that he has not had his # called consistently enough to judge whether he is a PB level FB or not. I am hoping he gets 40 rec's this year and gets to the Hawaii; but I am a huge FB fan, i.e. Czonk and Bulaich as is Norv ;)

#2 if you find it hard to talk about the Fins O because of your knowledge, talk about our D or the other team's O and D, but if you enjoy it, just talk :cool:

No offense Lloyd but when the heck did I start "lambasting" Konrad?

I pointed out that to my knowledge Ayanbadejo was a pretty talented FB and that he's really done the things already that we'll be asking Konrad to do basically for the first time, so perhaps Ayanbadejo is insurance in case Konrad can't handle it. I also pointed out that its unfair to criticize KONRAD for our lack of getting him the ball because bottom line is Gailey didn't have the plays in the playbook and every year our talk of getting Konrad the ball was just lipservice to his talent not going to waste which is what it was gonna do anyway under Gailey no matter what they said to reporters. In that way I've been DEFENDING him, and yet I get branded a "lambaster"??? Just cuz I made a comment about the likelihood (or rather non-likelihood) of Konrad moving to TE because he's never played there before in his college or pro career?

I hope you included my name accidentally. If not, take a deep breath, scroll up to the top of the page, and actually READ my posts.

Dude, whats that on your nose!

Anyway, simply put, Konrad will have to step up his game if he is to remain the Dolphins starter! He has done a commendable job, but far from spectacular! Ayanb?????((the new guy) will light a fire of competition under Rob, and we may see the Konrad that was drafted here outta Syracuse! Good luck and may the best FB win!

I really would not mind seeing Konrad carry the ball more. Thats more his specialty and he's I believe the 2nd fastest RB on the roster.

i guess the ravens refer to him as...

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
Dude, whats that on your nose!

Anyway, simply put, Konrad will have to step up his game if he is to remain the Dolphins starter! He has done a commendable job, but far from spectacular! Ayanb?????((the new guy) will light a fire of competition under Rob, and we may see the Konrad that was drafted here outta Syracuse! Good luck and may the best FB win!

FEMI! a little easier for us to say...

FEMI, looks a little FEMME to me, so I'll stick with Ayanb????? Thanks though! I live with too many raider fans for me to be callin our FB Femi!

Back
Top Bottom