New News on FRED TAYLOR... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New News on FRED TAYLOR...

Originally posted by inFINSible
Seriously,I remember reading in TSN a few months ago that Shawn Draper was already being considered as our starting tight end for 2002. Must be showing something good.
I guess Hunter is gone, tough to be that player rep. that's 2 years in a row. Since Hunter was just a blocker, why not start another converted OT like Draper ? Other than I thought Norv would throw more to the TE and Weaver is a far better receiver.

Trading doesn't begin until March 1st

So there will be no deals until then.

My take?? I'd LOVE to have Taylor. We faced that guy every year in in high school (he's from my hometown). They are our arch rivals in every sport.

And let me tell you something.....most people have no idea how talented Fred Taylor is. He catches the ball very well. He picks up blitzes. He can block. He has a devastating combination of size, speed, and power. He's always brought down moving forward.

At Glades Central, Fred averaged over 10 ypc as a senior. He was also the state runner-up in the 100m dash. In regular season track meets, he would dominate every event he participated in. It was almost laughable watching my buddies, or anyone, try and compete against him.

We faced Fred Taylor and Edgerrin James every year in high school (imagine that!!). And I can tell you that Fred Taylor is at James' level. He's that good.

What's funny is that James was constantly injured in high school and in college. And he turned out to be pretty durable on that Indy turf once he started training right (James didn't lift a weight until college!!). I think Fred has to start doing the same.

Either way, he'd be great for Miami. But he won't come as cheap as what's reported.

Their chances of striking a deal could be hurt by the fact the Jaguars are shopping running back Fred Taylor. A source said the Dolphins and Jaguars have already discussed a trade but that the Jaguars' asking price -- two first-round picks -- was too high.
Um, yea, I'd say that's a bit high.:eek: Sounds like the Jags' brass are a bit high also. This is off CBSsportsline. Go find the story if you want. They are talking about the Dolphins chances of striking a deal with RW.

If the Phins can strike a deal for either Taylor, or Williams, it would give the Dolphins O a gigantic threat in the running game. Both players bring alot to the table,, each has soft hands, (speed)although Taylor is unbelievably faster with power,, Williams has fullback power with extreme quickness and speed. I think of the two, Taylor has a better chance of suiting up in a Dolphins uniform this season than Williams based on what the Saints want and what Miami can afford to give up in compensation to get either one ! The Phins need a definite upgrade in the running game and Williams or Taylor would fit the bill ... Marino1983

Yes I read the post before mine,, what is your point ? There are a millions of rumors being posted on all 32 teams, on 50 to a hundred different team web sites And maybe 2 or 3 of those rumors circulating of each team are true and have a snowballs chance in hell to happen! That is ONE reason why message boards are in existence, for fans to discuss and offer their opinion on different aspects of what, where, and how a team is going to improve the approaching season! I really do not think that either Williams or Taylor will be in the Dolphins backfield in 02,, the Dolphins will not over pay for either player. But IMOP, if a deal could be made, F-Taylor would be a more logical choice. Marino1983

The point is that, that is the first"official" word i.e. NOT on a MB, that i have been able to find as to what the Jags are wanting for Fred Taylor.
Assuming that it is true, or MORE true than any other rumor,it would render any discussion of obtaining FT quite illogical.

Fred Taylor asking price, 2 1st Rounders?

Here's the latest from the Fred Taylor front, I dunno if it has been posted on the board yet or not:

Feb. 15, 2002
By Pete Prisco
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

The Miami Dolphins are interested. So are the Cleveland Browns. But they are not the only two teams who have an interest in trading for New Orleans Saints running back Ricky Williams.

There is a third unidentified team that has already talked with the Saints about acquiring Williams, according to a league source.

Add it all up, and it's almost a certainty that Williams will be moved when the trading period begins March 1.

There was a report during Super Bowl week that the Dolphins and Saints had talked, but it said the Saints asked the Dolphins if they would be interested. But according to a source, it was the Dolphins who brought up Williams' name.

Williams has five years left on an eight-year contract, and if he is traded, it would cost the Saints about $2.2 million against the cap. But the Saints feel they have a capable replacement in second-year player Deuce McAllister, the 2001 first-round pick who spotted Williams as a rookie last season. McAllister has the big-play ability -- something the Saints need playing on the fast carpet of the Superdome and that Williams doesn't bring to the offense.

The Saints are likely seeking a first- and third-round pick in exchange for Williams.

Their chances of striking a deal could be hurt by the fact the Jaguars are shopping running back Fred Taylor. A source said the Dolphins and Jaguars have already discussed a trade but that the Jaguars' asking price -- two first-round picks -- was too high.

Taylor played in two games before suffering a serious groin injury that forced him to miss the remainder of last season. When healthy, he is one of the league's best pure runners.

Late in 2002, Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin felt Taylor was healthy enough to play -- even taking him on the road for trips, which he never does for injured players - but Taylor said he wasn't healthy enough to go. That, according to some Jaguars players, angered Coughlin.

That, and not cap reasons, is why the Jaguars hope to move Taylor.

Both Williams and Taylor are the type of back who can be among the best in the league when healthy. It's rare that two players of this caliber are on the market at the same time, which should make for an interesting trading period.

I'm afraid that we won't land a big name Running Back this offseason and will have to get one in the draft.

Everytime we get out hopes up of signing a big name player it never happens. :mad:

We really need a proven player at this time. The defense is getting older and I don't know how much longer they can play at a high level together.

It seems when we have a good offense the defense is bad and visa versa.

Originally posted by JimmyNock
I'm afraid that we won't land a big name Running Back this offseason and will have to get one in the draft.

"We really need a proven player at this time."

Although a proven player would be nice I also do not believe it will happen. The cost and baggage they carry usually is to heavy.
I'm really looking forward to drafting a solid RB.

BB

Along with a solid O-lineman,LB,TE...etc...It'll be a tough decision year for the coaches on this draft.

just throwing this in here...

apparently, the Browns have the inside track on Ricky Williams since they are willing to give up more:

from http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1334936.html
League sources contend that, if Ricky Williams is traded, the Cleveland Browns are far more likely to strike a deal with the New Orleans Saints than are the Miami Dolphins. The feeling is that Miami will not meet the Saints' asking price, not as long as it continues to include a first-round draft choice, but that Browns coach Butch Davis might ante up. Davis desperately wants to surround quarterback Tim Couch with upgraded personnel, especially now that Cleveland brass has committed to him for the long-term, and the first step is improving the anemic rushing game the team had in 2001.

If Williams has a no-trade clause (which I think he does), he would reject a deal sending him to Cleveland. Why would anyone want to move there anyway? And did anyone else here see Ricky on Cribs, his house was mad nice.

Back
Top Bottom