Next Year's OL?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Year's OL??

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Next season, I think that we'll see a minimum of two new starters. And it is possible (though not likely) that we could have 5 new starters on that OL. So what do you think it will look like??

2003 (tentative): Dixon/Nails/Ruddy/Perry/Wade

2004: Smith/Dixon/McKinney/Nails/Wade
........Smith/Nails/McKinney/Whitley/Wade

Obviously the first one is our choice. The guard lineup is actually what we're hoping for this year. The second choice is also very nice. But it leaves us scrambling for depth, as we'll have lost three veterans.

I think Perry is surely a gonner. And Ruddy will not sit on the bench. So he's probably gone too. As you can see, I'm banking on Wade being re-signed (it will happen), Smith stepping in at LT, and Nails coming back strong.

Give me.....

Pace,Dixon,Mckinney,Nails,Smith and I'll be happy :lol:

I think that Smith,Nails,Seth,Whitley and Wade is posible too.

Ozzy rules!!

I will project your OL for 2003 to be:

Starters(L to R): Dixon, McKinney, Ruddy, Perry, Wade
Reserves: W. Smith, Whitley, Jerman, Andrew
PUP: Nails(if he's able to play, then Andrew is gone)
PS: Provost

When you project the future, the cap is always part of the equation, thus it's necessary to look at it from a team perspective. No question, Miami faces another tight cap, tighter than this past offseason.

2004:

Wade & Nails are UFA

Ruddy has 1 yr left at $2.2 million salary and $800,000 amortized bonus plus any incentives from 2003(he accepted a pay cut with the chance to earn the paycut back as incentives)

McKinney with 2 yrs under his belt, playing time in 2003 depends on Nails' status and other injuries that may occur

Dixon still out of position at LT, needs to be moved back inside to G

Perry will be 33 and would have 2 yrs at $1.2 million and $1.35 million and $300,000 amortization each year.

Jerman who, at this point, has played how many games?

3 second year players in W. Smith, Whitley, and Provost

No doubt that Ruddy is likely a goner because he would save over $2 million and only count $800,000 "dead cap". Perry is relatively inexpensive for a starter and will probably be asked to take a pay cut. At this point, who knows whether Todd Wade or Jaime Nails will re-sign. No one can "guarantee" a thing. I suspect that Nails is more likely to re-sign than Wade. The FA market for OTs in 2004 is average and so he could stand to make a killing as a UFA, whether it be with Miami or another team.

So, at the start of the FA period in 2004, you could have the following:

LT Dixon, LG Perry, C McKinney, RG Whitley, RT Jerman with OT W. Smith and OT Provost as the depth. Nails and Wade as UFAs. Of course, it's likely that Miami will sign a few training camp fodder types but the OL is likely to be the most important off-season priority for Miami in 2004

I didn't "guarantee" anything. But I believe it will happen. Likely happen during the season. I don't believe they'll let him get away.

Not if he gets hurt....or continues to play below the level of his rookie year.

If the T market is so-so next year, we'll just franchise/transition tag him and get some picks for him right? Sorta like what bufalo did with Price this year.

I dont see why clumped puts Nails on the PUP list. They've been saying for a while now that he is proceeding on schedule with his rehab to be able to take full part in all snaps by the first day of training camp, let alone preseason games and then season games. Heck even if they take it easy on the big fella during the first days of training camp that doesn't mean he's anywhere even CLOSE to being put on the PUP list, unless he suffers another injury. Thats just his bills homerism showing through, as if he's fulfilling some great duty by deflating phin fans' optimism when its not even really optimism, its plain fact.

Originally posted by inFINSible
If the T market is so-so next year, we'll just franchise/transition tag him and get some picks for him right? Sorta like what bufalo did with Price this year.

I will not reply to this because I know it was sarcasm...

On September 7, 2003 Jamie Nails will start at guard for the Miami Dolphins...

Bank on it......

I'm not banking on Nails being ready by the opener. I'm hoping he'll be ready but is not a sure thing imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I think there is a very good chance that Todd Wade leaves because he may demand big bucks, and we don't really have them. I think Wade Smith will be a starter by next year, and that McKinney will compete with both Perry and Ruddy for a spot this year. If you guys remember, McKinney played pretty well in the place of Nails. Whitley should be able to challenge for a starting spot next season as well.

It's funny, in the USA Today weeky sporting news, Ruddy is the only OL on our team in the Top 30. Yet he relegated to an after thought by us most of the time..Nails is on the rebound and probably won't have his 2002 form, so I see him resigning with us, Wade is the wild card here. So if he doesn't come back, I see the following:

Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, McKinney, Smith...I think if Miami finds a LT..then they let Wade go..Then the line can look like:
New guy, Dixon, McKinney, Nails, Smith.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If you guys remember, McKinney played pretty well in the place of Nails. Whitley should be able to challenge for a starting spot next season as well.

WHAT ?!?!?

Two words....

Chris Hovan !!!!

What I remember is missing Nails dearly....

Originally posted by 1972dolphins

WHAT ?!?!?

Two words....

Chris Hovan !!!!

What I remember is missing Nails dearly....

Hovan was jumping offsides all game or got up before every single member of our OLine did. I remember McKinley making some very good blocks and being very athletic. He wasn't as good as Nails. but overall didn't play badly at all.

Back
Top Bottom