Next Year's OL?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Year's OL??

Chris Hovan is one of the best DTs in the league. But he was absolutely schooling McKinney. Hovan was jumping offsides some, though.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
It's funny, in the USA Today weeky sporting news, Ruddy is the only OL on our team in the Top 30. Yet he relegated to an after thought by us most of the time..Nails is on the rebound and probably won't have his 2002 form, so I see him resigning with us, Wade is the wild card here. So if he doesn't come back, I see the following:

Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, McKinney, Smith...I think if Miami finds a LT..then they let Wade go..Then the line can look like:
New guy, Dixon, McKinney, Nails, Smith.

But don't you think if Nails shows that he can come back even stronger in 2004 that we'd re-sign him?? Also, the possibility of Dixon retiring is very real. Remember, he was undecided for a while. Still, if he doesn't sustain a serious injury, I expect him to be back in 2004 (since he went ahead and got a divorce to continue playing).

Originally posted by Muck

But don't you think if Nails shows that he can come back even stronger in 2004 that we'd re-sign him?? Also, the possibility of Dixon retiring is very real. Remember, he was undecided for a while. Still, if he doesn't sustain a serious injury, I expect him to be back in 2004 (since he went ahead and got a divorce to continue playing).

I defintely see us signing him in either situation, I just think it'll be easier to sign him this year, while he's rehabbng. Wades the unpredictable, I just his agent will try to rob for us for him, I think Speilman will probably go for a true LT and put the money there, before signing Wade to an amount out the solar sphere. Todd's gone either way, if we're lucky enough to keep Ruddy, Seth can take Todds place, If Dixon retires, then Smith will have to step up.

Seth can take Wade's place? I think he can take Ruddy's place and there's no way he'll ever play tackle.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by inFINSible
If the T market is so-so next year, we'll just franchise/transition tag him and get some picks for him right? Sorta like what bufalo did with Price this year.

Miami will NOT have the cap space to put either tag on Wade

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I dont see why clumped puts Nails on the PUP list. They've been saying for a while now that he is proceeding on schedule with his rehab to be able to take full part in all snaps by the first day of training camp, let alone preseason games and then season games. Heck even if they take it easy on the big fella during the first days of training camp that doesn't mean he's anywhere even CLOSE to being put on the PUP list, unless he suffers another injury. Thats just his bills homerism showing through, as if he's fulfilling some great duty by deflating phin fans' optimism when its not even really optimism, its plain fact.

It's not homerism. I've worked in the health care field for 20 yrs. Cowart sustained the same injury and it took more than a year before he started playing like the Pro-Bowl caliber LB he was before the injury. Nails is definitely not in the same shape as Cowart. Injury occured in December and he has 50-75 more lbs on that injujry. I think it's homerism to say categorically that Nails will be starting come week 1.

Next years draft looks to be a fine one for our needs if they produce in 2003 and remain on the board as we pick at number 32 :lol:

LINK

Muck,

Bust out some of that game film and display how good Nails was and Mckinney wasn't in 2002...

Clumpy,

What in the hell were you trying to say ?

Cowart sustained the injury September of 2001. It took a year before he played another regular season game. So of course it took a year to regain Pro Bowl form. If your not playing games, it's hard to play at Pro Bowl caliber.

Jamie Nails suffered the injury on December 15, 2002 and had surgery on December 18, 2002.

I won't ask the obvious question of "how long do you think it will take a guy who has nothing other to do than rehab an injury to do so?"

What I will ask ? If you believe Jamie Nails will not come back to his 2002 form...

What do you think about the Willis Mcgahee pick in the first round :lol: ?

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Miami will NOT have the cap space to put either tag on Wade

Len P has ya at $93.94 million. That's presently $13.34 million OVEr the projected $80 million cap.

1) Miami is likely to have a NLTBE debit because at least 10 players(including D. Bowens) have incentives built in that will pay out as NLTBE in 2004. If Griese never plays, RW has < 1000 yds, D. Bowens already likely not to play, then maybe you would have a small debit or even credit like 2003. But likely to need to substract the debit from the $80 million

2) Need to clear approx. $12-15 million to become cap compliant

3) Need $4-5 million to tender RFAs and EFAs

4) Then need another $6 million to franchise Wade

This would leave ZERO cap space to re-sign your own and other team UFAs.

Calculus doesn't lie :D

Interesting discussion. I think Nails will bounce back just fine. He doesnt need the lateral movement and quickness that Cowart needs to play LB.

As for Wade, I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that we will resign him; not because hes not a good player, but because it may not be ecomincally viable to do so. Wade will be looking at a 5 yr, $25 million contract next season, and its possible that the FO doesnt want to pony up big bucks for a RT when we still dont have a long term solution at LT.

Though, having said that, the right side of our line (Wade and Perry) were outstanding last year. They held their blocks long enough for Ricky to cut back and didnt get beat too often by pas rushers. It will be interesting.

Originally posted by 1972dolphins
Clumpy,

What in the hell were you trying to say ?

Cowart sustained the injury September of 2001. It took a year before he played another regular season game. So of course it took a year to regain Pro Bowl form. If your not playing games, it's hard to play at Pro Bowl caliber.

Jamie Nails suffered the injury on December 15, 2002 and had surgery on December 18, 2002.

I won't ask the obvious question of &quot;how long do you think it will take a guy who has nothing other to do than rehab an injury to do so?&quot;

What I will ask ? If you believe Jamie Nails will not come back to his 2002 form...

What do you think about the Willis Mcgahee pick in the first round :lol: ?

McGahee will be placed on PUP and be eligible for activation come week 10 of the regular season. Bills will then have a few weeks to place him on the active roster or place him on IR. I doubt McGahee sees the field in 2003

Cowart was playing at a Pro-Bowl level prior to his injury late in the 2000 season in Tampa when RG Frank Middleton deliberately clipped him from behind.

Franchising Wade would be absolutely stupid...

So why are you guys talking about it ?

If Orlando Pace gets the deal even close to what his agent has been talking about it looks to be over 6 or 7 million to franchise a tackle...

If Spielman agrees to pay Wade 6 million next year, I personally am taking my copy of "Catcher in the Rye" down to Miami...

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Cowart was playing at a Pro-Bowl level prior to his injury late in the 2000 season in Tampa when RG Frank Middleton deliberately clipped him from behind.

Sam Cowart was arguably the best LB in the league when he went down in TB. He was everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom