Next Year's OL?? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Year's OL??

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Franchise tag for OTs in 2003 was $5.734 million and isn't likely to change by much

Clump,

Is it the top pay from the previous year ? For instance, if franchise tagged in 2004, the salary is based upon 5 top salaries in 2003 ?

If this is the case, I think some of the new contracts will put a whoopin' on that 5.734 million.

Let's see here....Here are the top five salaries for offensive linemen not including the bonuses...

Allen, Larry 4000000.00
Ogden, Jonathan 3680000.00
Verba, Ross 3600000.00
Runyan, Jon 3500000.00
Lepsis, Matt 3400000.00

Larry Allen got a 12 million signing bonus and if Pace gets anything near the 25 million bonus his agent is asking for that's going to catapult that tag to astronomical levels...I don't know how those bonuses are prorated but I'd be interested to know..

Anyway, I guess my point is that due to the contracts signed this year I think the franchise tag next year is going cost way too much for the average club to use it on the average player...

Boselli's cap number for 2003 is 5.7 million after a restructure this year if that helps any...

The one that got away....

"Turley's contract is cap-friendly for the first two years. He counts $2.358 million against the salary cap in '03 and $2.363 million against the cap in '04. His cap number jumps to $5.572 million in '05, and exceeds $6 million in '06, '07, and '08."

Last edited by a moderator:
New contracts won't affect it as new contracts are always lowest in the first couple years. It's the tackle contracts on their final years that you are looking for.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
New contracts won't affect it as new contracts are always lowest in the first couple years. It's the tackle contracts on their final years that you are looking for.

You forgot the signing bonus the first year, depending on how much they get up front is a part of the cap for that year, plus 1st year salary..and an agent would be foolish not to try and get as big a bonus as possible, since this is the only quranteed money in the contract. The rest of a big bonus is prorated over a number of years...Bottom line, what value does the Dolphins place on Wade....Next year we have Surtain, Madison, JT, Fielder, Greise, Bowens, and Marion with big salaries....

Then we have Nails UFA, Freeman, UFA, Ogun RFA, IF this team is a championship team, then who do you let go and who do you keep. I said Wade will be let go in this situation, or even if they don't win a championship, you still place more value on a LT with our QB's that a RT. Wade's value would go up if we had a left handed QB.

Originally posted by 1972dolphins

I will not reply to this because I know it was sarcasm...

On September 7, 2003 Jamie Nails will start at guard for the Miami Dolphins...

Bank on it......

Does Nails play tackle???

Go back and read what I wrote.....It says the "T market"...."T" stands for tackle.

If you're going to correct me at least know what i was talking about.

Franchising Wade would be absolutely stupid...

So why are you guys talking about it ?

It's real simple.....remember last year when Buffalo put the tag on Price w/out ever intending to keep him and they got a first round pick because somebody signed him anyway.....well, if the tackle market is weak next year and Wade is high up on teams' shopping list then we may be able to get a 1st-3rd round pick out of losing him.

But, hey, if you think it's stupid maybe we should just forget it and let him go on his merry way w/out getting anything for him.

Originally posted by inFINSible

It's real simple.....remember last year when Buffalo put the tag on Price w/out ever intending to keep him and they got a first round pick because somebody signed him anyway.....well, if the tackle market is weak next year and Wade is high up on teams' shopping list then we may be able to get a 1st-3rd round pick out of losing him.

But, hey, if you think it's stupid maybe we should just forget it and let him go on his merry way w/out getting anything for him.

You're kind of mixing apples and oranges here, Price is a WR who can get 3-5 mil a year, typical a RT does not get that kind of money, so if we franchise him, no team would do what Atl. did, not for a RT. A 5mil $ price tag for a RT won't go very far in the NFL.

MD, thank you for taking the time to explain that rather than just saying I'm stupid for talking about it....

Now, could the transition tag work on Wade?

Transition tag wouldn't work because...

#1...We would have to pay him at least the average of the 10 highest paid OTs.

#2...It only gives us the right to match. We receive no compensation if he ends up somewhere else.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

You forgot the signing bonus the first year, depending on how much they get up front is a part of the cap for that year

I'm not forgetting that. When was the last time you saw an upfront heavy contract? Signing bonuses are prorated so there's no difference between the first and last year. It's those balloning base salaries that a team tacks on the end that screw things up.

Like in the Turley deal his signing bonus was what......$10 million on a 6 year deal? So getting really basic it's about $1.67 million a year. However his base salary is only $530k this year. However by 2008 his base salary ballons to $4.9 million. That final year is what they would calculate for that following years number.

There was a chart on here showing last year showing the top 10 tackles salaries and 8 of the 10 were in the final year of their contracts.

Clump,

Is it the top pay from the previous year ? For instance, if franchise tagged in 2004, the salary is based upon 5 top salaries in 2003 ?

If this is the case, I think some of the new contracts will put a whoopin' on that 5.734 million.

Let's see here....Here are the top five salaries for offensive linemen not including the bonuses...

Allen, Larry 4000000.00
Ogden, Jonathan 3680000.00
Verba, Ross 3600000.00
Runyan, Jon 3500000.00
Lepsis, Matt 3400000.00

Larry Allen got a 12 million signing bonus and if Pace gets anything near the 25 million bonus his agent is asking for that's going to catapult that tag to astronomical levels...I don't know how those bonuses are prorated but I'd be interested to know..

Anyway, I guess my point is that due to the contracts signed this year I think the franchise tag next year is going cost way too much for the average club to use it on the average player...

Boselli's cap number for 2003 is 5.7 million after a restructure this year if that helps any...

The one that got away....

"Turley's contract is cap-friendly for the first two years. He counts $2.358 million against the salary cap in '03 and $2.363 million against the cap in '04. His cap number jumps to $5.572 million in '05, and exceeds $6 million in '06, '07, and '08."

Top 5 from 2003 for franchise and top 10 for transition. It's possible that Pace will play for the tender of $5.734 million, so that would most likely be in the top 10 cap numbers even though it's only salary.

Infinsible,

Let me explain....

The sarcasm line was addressing your original post about the franchise tag..

The Nails line was addressing another post. It was two different replies...

My apologies...

Sorry if I offended you. It's just with his history of injuries and the ability of his play the franchise tag on Wade is not a real good idea as was explained later. I actually thought your original post about the tag was sarcasm to clumpy, a Bills fan.

As the thread continued, more than just you were discussing the idea, so the "stupid" remark was not directed at just one person (except for maybe Spielman if he did it).

Sorry if I offended..

Provost and Jerman are solid players who could add depth if called upon. (At least they've been solid in practice whixh is not the same as games)

I think they both could end up being with this team and we draft a solid RT next year along with a DT and WR with our first day picks if we can find a way to steal a 3rd from somewhere. (please don't give up a future pick to do it though.)

Provost was a 6th rd pick this year. Jerman was a rookie FA a couple of years ago. Neither one has any NFL playing experience. How do you know that they are solid players? Why is it that only the players that Miami drafts are studs and Bills draft picks are just projects.

Back
Top Bottom