NFL 2023 Draft TEs- A closer Look | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL 2023 Draft TEs- A closer Look

I think you’re giving Elliott too much credit. We got him for 1 year, $1.7 million on the back of him signing with Detroit for 1 year, $1.1 million. In other words, that’s two teams who’ve given up on him rather than bringing him back on marginal, one-year deals. He’s decent depth for 2023, but I wouldn’t factor him into our team building decisions.

I’m also still not sure we know what Brandon Jones is going to be doing in Fangio’s scheme. If the answer is playing as a two-deep safety, we really don’t know how well he’ll perform in that role. He’s not done much of it at the NFL level. There’s also the variable of him returning from a torn ACL.

If he doesn’t excel as a two deep safety, or if Fangio uses him mostly in the box, then we have a pretty significant need for a second deep safety next to Holland.
That's why I wouldn't be shocked with a S pick. IMO the NFL way under-values the position. But Fangio seems to favor the position.

I like Zierlein, but I also find he has some opinions that are way out of line with the consensus.
Do a bit more reading on Brown. He was a fifth-year senior who was NOT good in his first four years... and he wasn't good because of the things that Zierlein noted. Did he finally take a jump, or was he just a beneficiary of being an older player in a system that he knew well? I think I agree with Zierlein on this one.
Then... to make matters worse in my mind... he was a combine darling, and those guys are known to bust so often. I've seen so many of them get drafted because of the underwear Olympics, then become dismal failures when the pads come on.
Just mark me down for a Brown unbeliever.

I dont think anyone is saying TE doesnt need to be upgraded, just that we shouldnt invest that much into the position at the expense of other needs.

There are alot of good TE candidates in this year's draft, spending a high pick to get one of the top 3 defeats the idea of taking advantage of a deep draft.
Well, it depends on how the team looks at it and we don’t know how many TE's will go in the first 50 picks......it could be 3 but it could be 5.......you need to see who's on the board.......yes it is a nice deep class but do you want the 10th best TE or the 4th best?

I dont think anyone is saying TE doesnt need to be upgraded, just that we shouldnt invest that much into the position at the expense of other needs.

There are alot of good TE candidates in this year's draft, spending a high pick to get one of the top 3 defeats the idea of taking advantage of a deep draft.
But you can make the case that Miami doesn’t have a bigger “need” than TE. I’m not saying they should reach for need (they should never do that) but there is a great chance that the best player available when Miami picks will be a TE which also aligns with their greatest need.

Well, it depends on how the team looks at it and we don’t know how many TE's will go in the first 50 picks......it could be 3 but it could be 5.......you need to see who's on the board.......yes it is a nice deep class but do you want the 10th best TE or the 4th best?
If there is a run on TEs in the first 2 rounds would you want to reach for a TE when BPA is at another position? I dont.

We need a TE that can block first and foremost. Blocking TEs dont usually go early. Washington will be an exception (Belichick will draft him in the fist round I bet.)

Seam splitters will be the first guys to go (outside of Washington) And we dont need one of those. So I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I could be completely wrong, happens more than Id like unfortunately, but I really dont think we are taking a TE until the 3rd round at the earliest, but more likely on day 3.

If there is a run on TEs in the first 2 rounds would you want to reach for a TE when BPA is at another position? I dont.

We need a TE that can block first and foremost. Blocking TEs dont usually go early. Washington will be an exception (Belichick will draft him in the fist round I bet.)

Seam splitters will be the first guys to go (outside of Washington) And we dont need one of those. So I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I could be completely wrong, happens more than Id like unfortunately, but I really dont think we are taking a TE until the 3rd round at the earliest, but more likely on day 3.
I said earlier I don’t want us to reach but at the same time I'd prefer not wait till the 6th round to take a TE and since we don’t have our 4th nor 5th round picks, we'd have to wait till the 6th round if you want to wait till day 3........yes, taking a TE with pick 84 is possible and if there's an OT worth taking at 51 then you consider taking OT at 51 and TE at 84

Completely agree... I firmly believe that the type of TE that we need is not the type of TE who is generally ranked highly.

We need a guy who a) blocks well, then b) catches a short pass as an outlet... and generally the higher drafted guys are guys who are thought to be 'weapons'. Guys who are described as seam-threats, or good at yards after the catch... and in an offense that lacks Hill and Waddle-level WRs, I'm going to agree that these guys are important... but that aint us, and the type of TE that we need is not the kind of TE who is well-drafted. They just aren't. If Washington wasn't such an amazing specimen, he'd fall right to us. If Spann-Ford would have come out... he would have been the guy.

And here is me throwing a wrench into the machine by saying we won't be picking at 51.

We will either move up big-time or down for more picks. I believe Grier will move up and sacrifice a 24 pick in the process.

No clue who we will be taking but OL and TE appear to glaring needs.

Last edited:
Nothing against Gesicki, (I actually wanted Andrews to pair with Mayfield that year) I was hoping he could improve his blocking, that ship has sailed...

And Penn State usually does a good job with TEs, but nothing compares to a ND TE, imo, lol.

I also dont get the people that want a guy like LaPorta, but trashed Gesicki....

Ive always been a big fan of TE play, hell, I still have my Crash Jensen and Anthony Fasano Jerseys (Had to have Fasano custom made.) I just feel like our offense doesnt feature them enough to warrant a big investment in the position right now. That being said, maybe McDaniel unleashes some new wrinkles this year to make me change my mind.

Im good with a kid like Josh Whyle on day 3 for now.
Makes two of us that lobbied for andrews that year

I’m not a guy who thinks just because most reps are gonna go to waddle and hill you don’t pay enough attention to the talent level at the position

I am swapping my 2024 first and pick 51 for a 2024 second and early second this year (and probably additional considerations) from one of the teams without a QB drafting high this year. Provided one of the guys I really cover are there.

Carolina, Houston, Indy, Atlanta.

Carolina can recoup a first next year.

Houston has pick 12 in addition to 2 and plethora of additional picks. They might have interest.

Indy and Atlanta might miss out on QBs this year altogether and want 2024 assets.

There are a lot of TEs I like in this draft but three I’m willing to go get.

Also I’d remind Houston that they should be doing anything possible to line up a shot at getting Marvin Harrison Jr (to play with CJ Stroud).

And at the last second I’ll force Cedrick Wilson into the deal.

If only Bruce Beal’s parent had never met.

I am swapping my 2024 first and pick 51 for a 2024 second and early second this year (and probably additional considerations) from one of the teams without a QB drafting high this year. Provided one of the guys I really cover are there.

Carolina, Houston, Indy, Atlanta.

Carolina can recoup a first next year.

Houston has pick 12 in addition to 2 and plethora of additional picks. They might have interest.

Indy and Atlanta might miss out on QBs this year altogether and want 2024 assets.

There are a lot of TEs I like in this draft but three I’m willing to go get.

Also I’d remind Houston that they should be doing anything possible to line up a shot at getting Marvin Harrison Jr (to play with CJ Stroud).

And at the last second I’ll force Cedrick Wilson into the deal.

If only Bruce Beal’s parent had never met.
Bro...

A move like that would put me on the fire Grier bandwagon.

TE should never be a "Go get" position, especially trading away a future 1st rounder for one.

Latest mock draft has 3 TE's going in first round. Just posting this for debate.Screenshot_20230401_193115_Bleacher Report.jpg

Bro...

A move like that would put me on the fire Grier bandwagon.

TE should never be a "Go get" position, especially trading away a future 1st rounder for one.

You didn’t think about it hard enough.

Bro we’ll be picking at the end of the first (32nd) and swapping with a bad team at the top of second, that’s why I’m looking to trade with a team that has no QB. Didn’t want to include Arizona in there for that reason.

And TE is the only “go get” position left and a position that’s plagued us longer than QB.

Back
Top Bottom