NFL 2023 Draft TEs- A closer Look | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL 2023 Draft TEs- A closer Look

I thought Smythe struggled mightily as a run blocker. My take from re-watching the OL blocking is that the TE in general and most often Smythe at the point of attack, was the biggest failure on our outside zone run attempts. It was a bigger issue than any of the Ts. I thought that was why we brought in Saubrett, to replace/upgrade the TE run blocking on our outside zone run.
Its possible, I havent analyzed any of that, so Ill take your word for it.

He's expected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th round. PFF has him rated as the 57th best player on their board.
Zierlein has a completely different view.. check this out.

A physical safety who is limited by a lack of fluidity in space. Brown has straight-line speed and is very effective mapping his transit to the ball-carrier near the line of scrimmage. However, his missed tackles are concerning considering the position he plays. He competes hard in man coverage, using everything at his disposal to prevent tight ends from making plays, but above average pass-catchers could be too much for him to handle as a pro. Brown will need to prove he can win in the box and shine on special teams to stick around in the league.

I think it will be player dependent.

If either Washington or Gibbs is on the board at 51, I hope they will be the pick. We’d probably go Washington over Gibbs if both are still there, but I can’t imagine that happening.

But we really could do a lot of different things. One of our first two picks will almost definitely be a tight end, but the other could be anything — none of RB, DT, OT, OG, or S would shock me.
I know alot of people are excited about the explosiveness of Gibbs, but I actually prefer the physicality of Charbonnet.

Gibbs is so elusive, most of the clips Ive seen of him, he is untouched and had massive holes to run through. I feel like we already have guys with similar skillsets.

Charbonnet on the other hand, runs with toughness and is difficult to bring down. Also has excellent hands out of the backfield. I want this.

Maybe someone could start a RB thread, I dont want to derail this one too much.

I just don’t get how anybody can look at the TE room and feel we're good the way we are. Smythe is average as a blocker, specially on the move......Conner was a WR trying to play TE who will be on his 2nd year as a TE. I like Saubert but we need one more TE that can block and give us something in the passing game but specially a TE that won’t tip our hands as to what we're going to do like last year........when Gesicki was out there the defense was playing the pass and when he wasn’t out there they'd play the run more.

I'm not a fan of LaPorta's fit for Miami. IMO he is a poor run blocker. He's a little too much like Gesicki in that respect to me. He just looks like a lanky WR that gets run through too often. I don't think he'll develop the strength in that area to ever be a +blocker.

Kraft shows much more power as a blocker. He has his struggles their too, but his issues seem more technique based than physical limitation based.

I do think LaPorta is a more dynamic receiver. He'll be better at getting separation. But I think Kraft will be more effective at the type of receptions he'll get in Miami. I envision that the ideal Miami TE will be a very strong run blocker that can be reliable at leaking into the flat or across the shallow middle, present a good target and then break a tackle to get that needed first down. (Basically Darnell Washington). Kraft isn't dynamic, but he has that bowling ball type of running style that's just hard to bring down. I don't imagine many 60 yard TDs, but I do imagine a ton 15 yard plays at the next level.
I think you are spot on, Rafael. I see it the same way. Washington would be perfect, but I really think he goes top 40.

I do like Kraft a little more than LaPorta for the reasons you highlighted.

I haven't delved into Strange yet, but I know Miami was at his pro day.

Last edited:
Safety would shock me... with Holland, Jones, and Elliot. I think we already have three young, talented safeties... and Campbell and Williams give us depth.
I'd cry real tears if we draft a Safety. I'd place it as the single lowest draft need on our board.
I think you’re giving Elliott too much credit. We got him for 1 year, $1.7 million on the back of him signing with Detroit for 1 year, $1.1 million. In other words, that’s two teams who’ve given up on him rather than bringing him back on marginal, one-year deals. He’s decent depth for 2023, but I wouldn’t factor him into our team building decisions.

I’m also still not sure we know what Brandon Jones is going to be doing in Fangio’s scheme. If the answer is playing as a two-deep safety, we really don’t know how well he’ll perform in that role. He’s not done much of it at the NFL level. There’s also the variable of him returning from a torn ACL.

If he doesn’t excel as a two deep safety, or if Fangio uses him mostly in the box, then we have a pretty significant need for a second deep safety next to Holland.

This...

I think a lot of posters begin by saying, "Gesicki was never a proper fit in this offense because he didn't block well', then immediately pivoting to draftable TEs based solely on their receiving skills and ability to get yards after the catch... forgetting about the reason that Gesicki didn't work for us in the first place.

It's an inconsistency... and a big one.
Exactly. Which is why Kuntz shouldn't be a Miami target.

I think you’re giving Elliott too much credit. We got him for 1 year, $1.7 million on the back of him signing with Detroit for 1 year, $1.1 million. In other words, that’s two teams who’ve given up on him rather than bringing him back on marginal, one-year deals. He’s decent depth for 2023, but I wouldn’t factor him into our team building decisions.

I’m also still not sure we know what Brandon Jones is going to be doing in Fangio’s scheme. If the answer is playing as a two-deep safety, we really don’t know how well he’ll perform in that role. He’s not done much of it at the NFL level. There’s also the variable of him returning from a torn ACL.

If he doesn’t excel as a two deep safety, or if Fangio uses him mostly in the box, then we have a pretty significant need for a second deep safety next to Holland.
Safety is SUCH a cheap position though... I wouldn't take one until I knew that I needed a starter... and we are not anywhere near that point right now.
I'd be BENT if we take one early.

I suppose we will see.

...and THIS.
Depends how fast they start coming off the board, IMO. Plus, how many fit what Miami is looking for? Washington, Kraft, Strange, Whyle seem like good fits.

Washington likely goes early 2nd round. Kraft should be there at 51 and maybe early 3rd. Strange I'm guessing 4th or 5th. Maybe the same for Whyle.

Am I missing any other fits? Other than the TE'S who should be long gone when the Dolphins pick?

Safety is SUCH a cheap position though... I wouldn't take one until I knew that I needed a starter... and we are not anywhere near that point right now.
I'd be BENT if we take one early.

I suppose we will see.
Understand the reasoning, but if we were to take a safety at 51 or 84, I’d just interpret it as Fangio deciding Jones isn’t playing deep safety in his defense. Meaning we do have a need for a starter next to Holland—either someone who can start immediately or someone who can take the job from Elliott ideally in the near future.

Zierlein has a completely different view.. check this out.

A physical safety who is limited by a lack of fluidity in space. Brown has straight-line speed and is very effective mapping his transit to the ball-carrier near the line of scrimmage. However, his missed tackles are concerning considering the position he plays. He competes hard in man coverage, using everything at his disposal to prevent tight ends from making plays, but above average pass-catchers could be too much for him to handle as a pro. Brown will need to prove he can win in the box and shine on special teams to stick around in the league.
I like Zierlein, but I also find he has some opinions that are way out of line with the consensus.

Understand the reasoning, but if we were to take a safety at 51 or 84, I’d just interpret it as Fangio deciding Jones isn’t playing deep safety in his defense. Meaning we do have a need for a starter next to Holland—either someone who can start immediately or someone who can take the job from Elliott ideally in the near future.
I hear you... but I would see taking a safety as a Hunter Long level blunder. Long, by the way, is my choice for the worst draft pick of the last 5 years.

I just don’t get how anybody can look at the TE room and feel we're good the way we are. Smythe is average as a blocker, specially on the move......Conner was a WR trying to play TE who will be on his 2nd year as a TE. I like Saubert but we need one more TE that can block and give us something in the passing game but specially a TE that won’t tip our hands as to what we're going to do like last year........when Gesicki was out there the defense was playing the pass and when he wasn’t out there they'd play the run more.
I dont think anyone is saying TE doesnt need to be upgraded, just that we shouldnt invest that much into the position at the expense of other needs.

There are alot of good TE candidates in this year's draft, spending a high pick to get one of the top 3 defeats the idea of taking advantage of a deep draft.

Nothing against Gesicki, (I actually wanted Andrews to pair with Mayfield that year) I was hoping he could improve his blocking, that ship has sailed...

And Penn State usually does a good job with TEs, but nothing compares to a ND TE, imo, lol.

I also dont get the people that want a guy like LaPorta, but trashed Gesicki....

Ive always been a big fan of TE play, hell, I still have my Crash Jensen and Anthony Fasano Jerseys (Had to have Fasano custom made.) I just feel like our offense doesnt feature them enough to warrant a big investment in the position right now. That being said, maybe McDaniel unleashes some new wrinkles this year to make me change my mind.

Im good with a kid like Josh Whyle on day 3 for now.
That's a great question that isn't being asked enough. What is McDaniel's vision for the tight end position?

Seems to me that McDaniel will have to get more balanced on offense and rely a little less on Hill and Waddle.

Back
Top Bottom