NFL Coaching Database | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Coaching Database

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
I did not know if we could put names together of possible coaching candidates. We have debated many along the way. I divided them into certain groups. It seems like there could a ton of openings. The team might have to be creative and or compete for the proper coach. Please add names that I have omitted.

The “Big Names”-
the coach has pedigree and a history of winning in the past. Would supposedly put interest back in the team.
  • Bill Cowher
  • Tony Dungy
  • Jeff Fisher
  • Jon Gruden
  • Andy Reid
The “Recylcled Coach”- Previously a coach (or presumed to be fired). Do they deserve a second shot?
  • Brian Billick
  • Tom Cable
  • Dom Capers
  • Romeo Crennel
  • Jack Del Rio
  • Herm Edwards
  • Jim Haslett
  • Eric Mangini
  • Mike Martz
  • Marty Morningweg
  • Jim Mora Jr.
  • Mike Mularkey
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Mike Nolan
  • Steve Spagnuolo
  • Marty Schottenheimer
  • Mike Sherman
  • Norv Turner
  • Gregg Williams
Offensive Coordinators or QB/O-Line Coaches- could these guys be a new innovative offensive mind?
  • Pete Carmichael
  • Rob Chudzinski
  • Tom Clements
  • Russ Grimm
  • Jay Gruden
  • Dirk Koetter
  • Bill Musgrave
  • Joe Philbin
  • Brian Schottenheimer
  • Marc Trestman
  • John Ramsdell
Defensive Coordinators or DB Coaches- many feel there are solid coaches in waiting amongst this group.
  • Todd Bowles
  • Perry Fewell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Mike Pettine
  • Rob Ryan
  • Mike Zimmer
  • Winston Moss
Special Teams Coaches
  • Bobby April
  • Dave Toub
NCAA Coaches- does Ross go for the “wow” factor by digging from the college ranks?
  • Kirk Ferentz
  • Les Miles
  • Bob Stoops
  • Jim Tressel
  • Charlie Weiss
  • Chip Kelly

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post! I have faith Ross will find the right coach for this team. What Harbaugh has the 49ers doing this season is special. Kudos to Ross for seeing the talent, shame on him for striking out.

Now if only we could foresee what is in store for this team in the future. Its hard to concentrate on every day life.

Edit: Winston Moss is the assistant HC / LBs coach.

I did not know if we could put names together of possible coaching candidates. We have debated many along the way. I divided them into certain groups. It seems like there could a ton of openings. The team might have to be creative and or compete for the proper coach. Please add names that I have omitted.

The “Big Names”-
the coach has pedigree and a history of winning in the past. Would supposedly put interest back in the team.
  • Bill Cowher
  • Tony Dungy
  • Jeff Fisher
  • Jon Gruden
  • Andy Reid
The “Recylcled Coach”- Previously a coach (or presumed to be fired). Do they deserve a second shot?
  • Brian Billick
  • Tom Cable
  • Dom Capers
  • Romeo Crennel
  • Jack Del Rio
  • Herm Edwards
  • Jim Haslett
  • Eric Mangini
  • Mike Martz
  • Marty Morningweg
  • Jim Mora Jr.
  • Mike Mularkey
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Mike Nolan
  • Steve Spagnuolo
  • Marty Schottenheimer
  • Mike Sherman
  • Norv Turner
  • Gregg Williams
Offensive Coordinators or QB/O-Line Coaches- could these guys be a new innovative offensive mind?
  • Pete Carmichael
  • Rob Chudzinski
  • Tom Clements
  • Russ Grimm
  • Jay Gruden
  • Dirk Koetter
  • Bill Musgrave
  • Joe Philbin
  • Brian Schottenheimer
Defensive Coordinators or DB Coaches- many feel there are solid coaches in waiting amongst this group.
  • Todd Bowles
  • Perry Fewell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Mike Pettine
  • Rob Ryan
  • Mike Zimmer
  • Dennis Allen
  • Winston Moss
Special Teams Coaches
  • Bobby April
  • Dave Toub
NCAA Coaches- does Ross go for the “wow” factor by digging from the college ranks?
  • Kirk Ferentz
  • Les Miles
  • Bob Stoops
  • Jim Tressel
  • Charlie Weiss

updated

Anyone want to pretend you are GM and have to pick five to half a dozen to interview? Keep in mind the Rooney Rule.

i don't mind any of the big name coaches, i prefer fisher, but i would love an up and coming coach a lot of the teams out there have young coaches and it seems to be working for them, i would love chudzinski, and bring in jimmy johnson as a consultant, and bring in assistant gm to be the gm of this prefer ted thompsons assistant or ozzie newsome assistant

fisher is my BIG NAME guy. people need to completely forget cowher as he does not like boss ross and said he would never work for an organization that would do what was done to tony sparano during the harbaugh fiasco. but people still keep going on and on about him.

my RETREAD name is GREGG WILLIAMS. there are not to many coaches around who didnt have one "bad" stop on there way up and williams was buffalo. and that team is still in major transition. i think williams is one of the top 3 defensive minds in the game today, and even though i prefer an offensive minded coach, gw brings a lot to the table and i think will have better success in his next hc stop.

O-COORDINATORS: look out for BRIAN SHOTTENHEIMER! not my choice, but his dad is a CLOSE friend of both carl peterson and boss ross and he could very well be the h/c in miami next year. unless some deal is already done behind he scenes, bs will be in the final 3 for the gig. CHUDZ is a good prospect for h/c as well as bill musgrave [he will interview strong] and pete carmichael.

D-COORDINATORS: i think PERRY FEWEL will be the strong candidate in that bunch with the best interview. i know many are clamoring for rob ryan but his drunken biker look has been keeping him out of interviews for years now. the head coach is the FACE of your franchise. is this the face you want to see representing your uber billion dollar franchise? nuff said. a hair cut and an occasional bath and shave will go along ways for him. kinda wierd at his age, is he a MICHAEL MOORE deciple or something?

as far as NCAA coaches goes, its almost a moot point as ross has to fillseats in the stadium right off the bat and a college coach isnt going to do that at htis point in dolphins history. KIRK FERENTZ would be an exellent coach. i think he can transision to the nfl game the same way JJ did and i wouldnt cry one bit if he were the choice. but, it wont happen. ross will be bringing in a NAME coach because no one is going to the stadium now. we are not in a position to be scrounging through the up and comers box to find our guy. WINNING will change all this, but bringing in some college coach or fresh coordinator isnt going to fill seats in droves right off the bat like boss ross wants. i am not so sure even a big name is going to accomplish sold out shows at this point, but, a john gruden will bring in more ticket holders than a todd bowles or bob stoops.

I would interview the following...
1. Rob Chudzinski
2. Perry Fewell
3. Mike Martz
4. Mike Zimmer
5. Brian Billick
6. Jon Gruden (I would interview the five and make a last ditch effort for Gruden). He can coach QB's. Still young man and would stimulate the fan base.)

I have a mix of offensive minds...some with experience and others yearning for a shot. I also have a pair of defensive guys as well.

Brian Billick really interests me at this point.

I'm intrigued by both billick and jon gruden.

I'd like to see an interview from both of them along with

chudzinksi, carmichael jr, fewell, and I actually have thought about a marty/brian schottenheimer combo.

great thread man.

I feel like Andy Reid is a great coach but I dont think the Eagles will let him go.

The guys I would interview are the following:

1) Jeff Fisher
2) Eric Mangini
3) Rob Chudzinski
4) Romero Crenel
5) Rob Ryan
6) Kirk Ferentz

We have a defensive brain at DC. Why go defense with any head coah?

I don't like the guy's demeanor but I honestly believe that the shake-up our antiquated aura desperately deserves is Mike Martz. Reggie Bush- oh, what dreams may come.

Back
Top Bottom