NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s

Justin Herbert must be absolutely amazing in the games I don't watch because I haven't been "Tier 1" impressed so far.
Aside from the first KC game, I haven’t seen him carry his team to victory. I’ve seen him lose games in the second half though.

Having said that, the list is a joke.

What you’re really saying is that the professionals in the NFL are a joke.

Because these are from head coaches, offensive coordinators, general managers, etc.

Justin Herbert must be absolutely amazing in the games I don't watch because I haven't been "Tier 1" impressed so far.
One problem with this sort of thing is that everyone's definition of "tier one" is not the same. For example, I would only put 4 guys in tier one to begin with. Neither JH, nor JB are there yet IMO.

Because these are from head coaches, offensive coordinators, general managers, etc.

No, not a joke, but where’s the breakdown of who voted where. That would be beneficial fir the sake of validity.

And you don't believe they are subject to bias? Don't know much about human nature or even polling do you.

If you take a political poll in CA or NY, the ouitcome will be far different than if you took it in FL, TX, AL, etc.

If the poll was not done completely at random, and done scientifically it is meaningless.

And yes, there are NFL ppl who are a joke. Plenty of them.

Thought this was cool since it’s actual NFL coaches and executives doing it and not just a random twitter guy or writer.

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled starting jobs.

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers?source=user-shared-article

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Tom Brady
4. Josh Allen
5. Justin Herbert
6. Joe Burrow

TIER 2

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

7. Matt Stafford
8. Russell Wilson
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Lamar Jackson
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Kyler Murray
14. Matt Ryan

TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

15. Kirk Cousins
16. Jimmy Garoppolo
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Mac Jones
19. Baker Mayfield
20 (T). Jalen Hurts
20 (T). Carson Wentz
22. Jared Goff
23. Trevor Lawrence
24. Jameis Winston

TIER 4

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

25. Justin Fields
26. Tua Tagovailoa
27. David Mills
28. Zach Wilson
29. Trey Lance
30. Daniel Jones
31. Marcus Mariota
32. Sam Darnold
33. Mitch Trubisky
34. Drew Lock
35. Geno Smith

Can’t be right JOsh Allen isn’t even top 3 let alone no.1

Complete sewer trash I am sure you will agree

Stephen King Clown GIF by Maudit

Ya I figured Beatles would post this year. I know hatred towards one’s rival Is universally accepted, but his fixation on us, particularly Tua, has entered the clinically unhealthy realm.

if Tua succeeds, Ill bet we get a feverish barrage of negative Tua articles. It’s pretty sad really.

This is mr beat it last dance make it count

Amy Poehler Dancing GIF by Saturday Night Live

LOL..... IDK about disgusting, but for sure dishonest and/or petty.

I really don't think it is a case of pretending with most. They actually believe (often irrationally) that their particular possession, brand, etc. is better.

Having said that, the list is a joke.

I agree that was a poorly chosen word lol I should have said something like a "disappointing" trait.

Also agree it's usually not intentional, we are all prone to it whether we know or not. I think the Miami Heat are the best NBA team every year....we get attached.

Just saying though, to try and be realistic isnt to hate.

And you don't believe they are subject to bias? Don't know much about human nature or even polling do you.

In data analytics, bias tends to reduce or be removed as the sample size is increased

50 NFL personnel across dozens of teams is a large sample size and it is very unlikely that bias had anything to do with the rankings.

This thing that Dolphin fans do where they think there is a league wide movement against their QB is so weird.

The Athletic went into a bit more detail for each QB. This is what it said about Tua.

26. Tua Tagovailoa

Skepticism continues to engulf Tagovailoa. Last offseason, voters placed him in Tier 4 partly because they didn’t have enough information to place him elsewhere. This offseason, voters placed him there because they’ve seen enough to say he does not belong higher.

“He is being set up for success with a running game, defense, offensive line and then obviously the impact players at the skill positions,” an offensive coach said. “If there is ever a time for him to be successful, it is this season. What is success? Staying healthy all year and leading his team to the playoffs.”

Voters worry about Tagovailoa’s ability to process quickly enough to protect himself. They questioned how well he identified protections, coverages and mike points, while blaming him for getting hurt against Buffalo when he failed to account for a pass-rusher.

“He’s a guy that I’m still holding on to the edge of my chair when I’m watching him play,” a quarterbacks coach said. “I am still cheering for him and I’m just hoping it doesn’t implode. Having Tyreek Hill and Terron Armstead and all the talent they have, there’s no excuses any more. He’s got to get it done.”

An evaluator called Tagovailoa the most accurate of the recent Alabama quarterbacks, but he called Jalen Hurts and Mac Jones much fiercer competitors, which could help them grind through struggles.

It’s not all negative for Tua, however.

“I’m excited to see what he does with this supporting cast,” an offensive coordinator said. “I’m a big fan of the offense they are installing, getting the quarterback to make quick and easy decisions. I don’t think Tua is moving into a consistent 2, but I could see some people next year saying when he has a good year, that he has some 2 attributes. I like what they’re building around him down there.”

Can’t be right JOsh Allen isn’t even top 3 let alone no.1

Complete sewer trash I am sure you will agree

I would personally rank Allen higher but I can appreciate that the professionals apparently view him as #4 right now. And they know a lot more about football than I do.

No, not a joke, but where’s the breakdown of who voted where. That would be beneficial fir the sake of validity.

First, the list contains names/tiers most fans would pick on their own. As a few have said, there are a few names subject to debate.
That said, I agree. Give me the rankings of HCs and QB coaches separately. GMs? I put less value in their opinions. "Experts" in cap management? Even less.
Doesn't specifically say DCs, but I'd love to see their rankings.

First, the list contains names/tiers most fans would pick on their own. As a few have said, there are a few names subject to debate.
That said, I agree. Give me the rankings of HCs and QB coaches separately. GMs? I put less value in their opinions. "Experts" in cap management? Even less.
Doesn't specifically say DCs, but I'd love to see their rankings.

You put less value in GM’s? How come?

Back
Top Bottom