NFL Tidbits and Dolphin Stuff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Tidbits and Dolphin Stuff

All the Quarterback Talk
I woke up thinking about conspiracy theories. Maybe that was because I spent too much time listening to the Senate's impeachment proceedings. Anyway, got to thinking about how Miami's decision makers have never disputed that they are looking for a quarterback. To the point, where we hear Miami wants to trade up for Burrow. They are "all in" on Tua, spent the most time on Herbert etc. The fact that Grier and company aren't denying this is interesting. Maybe the need is so apparent that it just makes sense to acknowledge it. But could it be the Dolphins are open to other possibilities at #5 and want to give the impression its got to be a quarterback. Get teams to trade up and get the player you want?

Love the fact that the press are throwing out every name QB as saying the Dolphins are interested in them, just makes it easier for Grier and co to lock on the what ever becomes their main target.

So with the NFL testing the proposed onside kick change in the Pro Bowl I figure at least once a team will attempt to maintain possesion of the ball in the game this weekend, regardless of the situation, just so the league can have something on tape showing what the rule change would look like.

The incidence of concussion and the permanent brain injuries that they cause may eventually lead to the death of the game of football... at least as we've known it.

Things have got to change if we are to stop seeing guys like Junior Seau killing themselves.

Sure, the new rules are not as exciting, but we've got to give these poor bastards a chance to have a life after football.
I agree and I do understand that. Perhaps there's an alternative kickoff rule that would be exciting with less chance of injuries?

All the Quarterback Talk
I woke up thinking about conspiracy theories. Maybe that was because I spent too much time listening to the Senate's impeachment proceedings. Anyway, got to thinking about how Miami's decision makers have never disputed that they are looking for a quarterback. To the point, where we hear Miami wants to trade up for Burrow. They are "all in" on Tua, spent the most time on Herbert etc. The fact that Grier and company aren't denying this is interesting. Maybe the need is so apparent that it just makes sense to acknowledge it. But could it be the Dolphins are open to other possibilities at #5 and want to give the impression its got to be a quarterback. Get teams to trade up and get the player you want?

Love the fact that the press are throwing out every name QB as saying the Dolphins are interested in them, just makes it easier for Grier and co to lock on the what ever becomes their main target.
In a sense if Miami wants a quarterback wouldn't they be talking up Josh Rosen? Instead they aren't denying it. Odd strategy, but again maybe they realize the need is so big that they simply can't hide it.

Patriots Penalty?
Already in MLB, three managers and one general manager have been fired over the cheating scandal. I'm not sure what other penalties will be enforced and haven't paid to much attention to it. There was a caller on sports radio here that suggested the NFL should closely follow the NCAA in how they handle violations. NCAA sanctions often place penalties on recruitment and postseason (bowl) berths. Can you imagine, New England being barred from the playoffs for a year? We know that won't happen, but apparently there needs to be stricter penalties. This is three strikes now for the Patriots, although I'm still unclear how deflate gate gave the team a competitive advantage.

Regards recruitment in the Pats case strip them of their next two 1st round draft picks and may be another high pick the third year. Another way is to be limit them to signing FA's for only a couple of mill per year, that would down grade the quality they could bring in.
That's a great start. Since this is the third time now for New England I'd go a little further.

How about no home field advantage for three years. If they are the first or second seed they still have to play on the road. Just an idea.

In a sense if Miami wants a quarterback wouldn't they be talking up Josh Rosen? Instead they aren't denying it. Odd strategy, but again maybe they realize the need is so big that they simply can't hide it.
You could easily say the opposite. May be they are happy with Rosen or happy enough to give him another shot next year and if he fails then chase Lawerence or whoever emerges next season. If they like Rosen then it is better that other teams still think they will draft a QB in the 1st round so the Fins still have a element of surprise and could pull off an unexpected move ie trade for more picks. A team on the cusp of playoffs/SB may spend a large chunk of their draft capital so weaken their future prospects as the Dolphins strengthen theirs if a team thinks Miami will take or potentially take the player they want. Tua as an example comes to mind.

That's a great start. Since this is the third time now for New England I'd go a little further.

How about no home field advantage for three years. If they are the first or second seed they still have to play on the road. Just an idea.
Would change that to having to play on the road regardless of playoff seeding and say it for the next 2/3 times they make the playoffs, then there is no time frame in case they don't make the playoffs for a couple of years

You could easily say the opposite. May be they are happy with Rosen or happy enough to give him another shot next year and if he fails then chase Lawerence or whoever emerges next season. If they like Rosen then it is better that other teams still think they will draft a QB in the 1st round so the Fins still have a element of surprise and could pull off an unexpected move ie trade for more picks. A team on the cusp of playoffs/SB may spend a large chunk of their draft capital so weaken their future prospects as the Dolphins strengthen theirs if a team thinks Miami will take or potentially take the player they want. Tua as an example comes to mind.
I think that's very possible.

This is three strikes now for the Patriots, although I'm still unclear how deflate gate gave the team a competitive advantage.

I know others have said the same, but ball security has always been my main argument regarding deflate gate when others question how much it helped them.

Of course we can never quantify how much it benefitted them, but I believe it’s easy to conclude that it did. Not only for ball security, but it also made Brady more comfortable slinging it and his smallish receivers with smaller hands more comfortable catching it. If it didn’t, they never would have done it.

Leave the on-side kick the way it is.

Why do we need to make the game easier for a trailing team to come back and win a game they likely shouldn't?

On-side kicks are supposed to be hard to attain, by nature of the concept.

HAVE TO change the OT possession policy. Both teams need a crack at making a TD.

Just thinking, how much more exciting would NFL be if we switched to one foot in possession?
That seems like such an arbitrary rule. You get a chance if the opponent scores a field goal in OT, but not a touchdown. Crazy rule.

Leave the on-side kick the way it is.

Why do we need to make the game easier for a trailing team to come back and win a game they likely shouldn't?

On-side kicks are supposed to be hard to attain, by nature of the concept.
My guess is it has something to do with injuries, but I don't know for sure.

When my son was younger, I coached flag football and the rules were setup so that the kids weren't on the ground. Fumbles were dead balls etc. It was to prevent pile ups and potential injuries.

I only point that out because that's the next thing I think could happen in the NFL. I think we could see rule changes on fumbles.

My guess is it has something to do with injuries, but I don't know for sure.

When my son was younger, I coached flag football and the rules were setup so that the kids weren't on the ground. Fumbles were dead balls etc. It was to prevent pile ups and potential injuries.

I only point that out because that's the next thing I think could happen in the NFL. I think we could see rule changes on fumbles.

The game is safe enough.

Let's just worry about the planet at this point.

That seems like such an arbitrary rule. You get a chance if the opponent scores a field goal in OT, but not a touchdown. Crazy rule.

Yes. Very arbitrary. And ridiculous.

Better than the game ending with an opening drive FG. But only marginally.

HATE that they decreased OT from 15 min to 10 min. Often after only one possession time becomes a factor. It makes a TIE (which nobody wants) a lot more possible.

I say they make OT untimed and play a condensed game wherein offenses begin at midfield. No kickoffs. No first downs. The offense gets 4 plays to score a TD or set up for a FG. Rinse, repeat until one team scores more than the other.

Since scoring a TD from midfield in 4 plays isn't super likely, possessions are likely to boil down to a FG try. And since FG kickers miss all the damn time, the number of possessions isn't likely to climb real high. But scoring a TD is still possible and doesn't make the outcome boil down solely to a FG try.

Not allowing first downs forces teams to play aggressively to move the ball close enough for their FG kicker or to score a TD. It also helps reduces the number of plays since they can't sustain a drive. Starting at the 50 places them close enough to scoring range while also making them have to move the ball 10-15 yards for a legitimate scoring opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom