NFL Tidbits and Dolphin Stuff | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Tidbits and Dolphin Stuff

Yes. Very arbitrary. And ridiculous.

Better than the game ending with an opening drive FG. But only marginally.

HATE that they decreased OT from 15 min to 10 min. Often after only one possession time becomes a factor. It makes a TIE (which nobody wants) a lot more possible.

I say they make OT untimed and play a condensed game wherein offenses begin at midfield. No kickoffs. No first downs. The offense gets 4 plays to score a TD or set up for a FG. Rinse, repeat until one team scores more than the other.

Since scoring a TD from midfield in 4 plays isn't super likely, possessions are likely to boil down to a FG try. And since FG kickers miss all the damn time, the number of possessions isn't likely to climb real high. But scoring a TD is still possible and doesn't make the outcome boil down solely to a FG try.

Not allowing first downs forces teams to play aggressively to move the ball close enough for their FG kicker or to score a TD. It also helps reduces the number of plays since they can't sustain a drive. Starting at the 50 places them close enough to scoring range while also making them have to move the ball 10-15 yards for a legitimate scoring opportunity.
That would be better. Of course, NE ends up winning a super bowl on the crazy overtime rule!

Since we are talking about rules, the one I think needs some tweaking is defensive holding. It's always 5 yards and an automatic first down. You can have a team backed up to third and 25 and end up with a first down on holding. I get the intent of the rule, but I've also seen it enforced when the hold was on the other side of the field away from the play. In those type cases, I think it should be 5 yards and a repeat of down. Those plays have swayed too many games IMHO.

In those type cases, I think it should be 5 yards and a repeat of down. Those plays have swayed too many games IMHO.

Agreed. To much control for refs to influence games.

Also think that when its a goal to go situation the penalty should NEVER result in 1st down and 4 more chances. That is an automatic TD.
Give them yardage and another repeat of down. That would be more fair IMO.

Back
Top Bottom