Ngakoue Still On Trading Block - Dolphins Should Snag Him | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ngakoue Still On Trading Block - Dolphins Should Snag Him

The University of Miami has probably the best DE in college football in Gregory Rousseau. I would much rather the Dolphins draft him in the 2021 draft than trade for a player who will want a huge contract right away.
Unless Rousseau has a Chase Young type year this season, he should be available when the Dolphins draft because it is likely the Dolphins will probably be drafting in the first 8 picks of the 2021 draft.
Do you rank Rousseau as the top DE? I have him as #1 on my board and gone before pick 5. I don't see us being able to land a top tier DE with our 2 1sts. But if in a perfect world, obviously just wait and grab him.

I don't agree that the cap will be lower. At worst I think it will be the same with the deficit spread over a number of years to balance out. It had already been discussed and I've yet to hear any pushback from owners. But that might be well hidden behind scenes.
I don't see the NFLPA allowing the cap to be lower. That would be dumb from a union perspective.

Disagree. Why would a team trying to rebuild want to spend FA type money for an injury-prone veteran with low productivity? Why would we derail the progress of our young WR's to shoehorn a guy who is unreliable? As Bill Parcells always said ... the most important ability is availability.

I'm not interested in trading for Njoku nor am I interested in paying FA money for him. He has talent, and I'd take a flier on him were he released and had no takers ... but that's simply not the case.

As has been well-covered above, I don't think this would make a lot of sense for the Fins. Clowney is still out there, and while I don't think he's not as good as a pure pass rusher, he causes complete havoc wherever he lines up...and he wouldn't cost draft picks.

I'm aware that there's still mutual interest between Seattle and Clowney, but Seattle has a bit of a cap room issue to be able to hand him $17-20 mm this year. Assuming Clowney's tune has changed (and some of it seems to have) - I'd offer Clowney a three-year deal with an easy out after two...and (as has also been discussed above), take Rousseau in the 2021 draft.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's going to be a huge change in how we view 2021 draft prospects between now and next April. There are already schedule limitations, and it might well get worse.

Disagree. Why would a team trying to rebuild want to spend FA type money for an injury-prone veteran with low productivity? Why would we derail the progress of our young WR's to shoehorn a guy who is unreliable? As Bill Parcells always said ... the most important ability is availability.

I'm not interested in trading for Njoku nor am I interested in paying FA money for him. He has talent, and I'd take a flier on him were he released and had no takers ... but that's simply not the case.

I believe you are confusing Ngakoue with Njoku.

Ngakoue is the DE for the Jaguars. He's missed 1 game in 4 years.

Build the team through the draft. We aren't a piece away from being a Super Bowl contender; we're still years away (assuming everything with Tua goes right). We need those picks, and rookies on cheap contracts, to build a team around Tua that can grow for the next 3-5 years.

The University of Miami has probably the best DE in college football in Gregory Rousseau. I would much rather the Dolphins draft him in the 2021 draft than trade for a player who will want a huge contract right away.
Unless Rousseau has a Chase Young type year this season, he should be available when the Dolphins draft because it is likely the Dolphins will probably be drafting in the first 8 picks of the 2021 draft.

If he's the best DE in college football he SHOULD have a Chase Young type year.

I want the kid on the team but there isn't a need to give up the picks for him right now. I'd wait on that situation to unravel itself further before I'm talking about moving a first or second rounder.

He can't sign with anyone at this point so it would be a risk alleviated only by tagging him again at a ridiculous increase.

I am on the Rousseau bandwagon too. Love the OT from Oregon but he might be out of range and the center from OK might be a target with Houston's pick.

I am excited to see how the DE's from Clemson (Thomas) and Wake Forest (Basham) progress this year. Both could be top 15-20 targets.

I would only make a move like that if the player was the last piece in a championship team.

Otherwise I agree with the no shortcuts mantra.

Trading a high 1st rounder for the privilege of giving a guy a huge contract is not the way to build or sustain success.

Do you rank Rousseau as the top DE? I have him as #1 on my board and gone before pick 5. I don't see us being able to land a top tier DE with our 2 1sts. But if in a perfect world, obviously just wait and grab him.
I think the Dolphins are a 5 or 6 win team in 2020. Five wins should get them a top 5 pick and 6 should be good enough for a top 8 pick.

Lawrence will be the first pick in the draft and Fields will probably be the second player taken in the draft.
I think that Sewell and Leatherwood will be taken in the top 5 picks. I think Rousseau will be picked in the top 5 or 6 picks and therefore if the Dolphins have the 8th-10th pick in the draft, they will have to trade up if they want to draft him.

I am not sure where Miami will be picking but yes, they will have the abilty to move up for a player like Rousseau if they can find a willing trade partner.

A big time pass rusher is one of the positions worth paying the price to move up into the Top 5 area.

And right now I see Rousseau in the group after Lawrence(who will be #1), with Fields, Sewell, Chase, Parsons, and Marvin Wilson. Top 5-8 area.

The Fins will be better than last year but with their brutal schedule they may still be looking at a Top 5 pick again so they might be able to keep the kid home without trading.

I would be very happy with any of Rousseau, Sewell, Chase, Parsons, and Marvin Wilson.

With Sewell, Rousseau and Parsons leading the pack.

Back
Top Bottom