Nick saban this morning | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick saban this morning

VanDolPhan said:
You'd think someone involved in little "LEAGUE" football could at least spell it. Maybe that's just me though. :goof:

typo. How do you feel about my comments as they relate to the dolphins?

jjizzim said:
Respectful? Please, this is not a war I agree, But it aint ballet either. Be respectful after the games is over. You never see ray lewis help up a player after he has hit him. What you see is Ray in that players ear letting him know that it's going to be like that the whole game. This takes a toll on you mentally as well as physically, ask eddie george
Ray Lewis? No; but Walter Payton, yes! If Payton got up first, he would invariably offer his hand to the LB or S who had just drilled him. This is not only showing sportsmanship, but perspective as well. By the way I wouldn't think that anyone would ever accuse Walter Payton of having been a soft player.

wow 17-0 state champs. great job. i wish you could coach my sons pop warner team. The coaches are terrible. the 5 coaches all have sons on the team and they make sure that thier kids get the ball every down. they don't give other kids a chance. we won one game this year.

as for the helping up issue. a lot of times when you see nfl players helping an opponent up it is because they are friends, former teammates or college teammates.

jjizzim said:
Nick saban was on the radio this mornig with Joe Rose for his weekly appearance and had some really nice things to say IMO. The one thing that he said the most is that (and I'm paraphrasing here) he wants a team that plays physical hard nosed football that other teams don't want to play against. He also said that this is more important than what the scoreboard says.

Now this is how I feel about his statement.

It's about damn time we get a coach in here that want's to play some real football. I'm not talking about the finess candyass type football that we've been subjected to since the killer bees of the 80's (or was it early nineties? i forget) Don shula had marino so the offense was more of a finess offense and the defense just was not that good. Then jimmy came in and tried to implement a more punishing type offense but still had marino and shula's players so that didn't work. He also brought his miami philosophy of great speed on defense but what he failed to remember is that Those UM teamse had some real intimidating players on it that would knock the snot out of you if you got it twisted. (that's slang for misunderstood). And then wanstadt came in and just did nothing to improve the seemingly obvious flaw. no disrespect to Zach, Sam, Jason, or surtain, but they all are undersized and IMHO too nice. I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games, you shake hands after the game is over, period. No one on our defense struck fear in opposing offenses. The closest we got to a big hitter recently was Sammy knight but he just didn't have that atwater, or lot, or even lynch attitude. I would have loved for us to pick up that safety from denver (I forget his name the one who knocked chambers out two years ago). those are the types of players that need to be on this team, mean and nasty sons of *******. I believe that if you play physical hardnosed football for four quaters, every game, the score board will take care of itself. Our team over the years while good, has never had this type of personell make up but I'm starting to see that change. Anybody feel like I do or am I just crazy??????/ :fire:

Your a D**Khead if you make yout kids run laps in practice for helping other players up. Your coaching a little league team, not a pro team in which players get paid millions of dollars. Sportsmanship needs to start when kis are little. I wouldn't be opposed with them not helping someone out, HOWEVER, making them run laps in practice in ridiculous.

chambers84 said:
Your a D**Khead if you make yout kids run laps in practice for helping other players up. Your coaching a little league team, not a pro team in which players get paid millions of dollars. Sportsmanship needs to start when kis are little. I wouldn't be opposed with them not helping someone out, HOWEVER, making them run laps in practice in ridiculous.

See my previous post about why I make them run laps. In a nut shell, it's not solely because they helped someone up, it's more because We instill in them to make the play and get back to the huddle, any extra stuff like talking trash, dancing or helping the opposition up takes time and often times results in delay of game penanlties because the player did not get back in the huddle in time enough for the qb to get the play out and make sure everybody is set up in the right plaec. Time is very important when coaching little league, delay of games penalties can really kill a drive

late again said:
Ray Lewis? No; but Walter Payton, yes! If Payton got up first, he would invariably offer his hand to the LB or S who had just drilled him. This is not only showing sportsmanship, but perspective as well. By the way I wouldn't think that anyone would ever accuse Walter Payton of having been a soft player.

I agree with you. Walter payton was an exception. but he played in a different time.

Jizim, you need to relax, it's pee wee football! Do you realize how bad full contact sports are for kids. A major injury to the your son's femur, at the growth plate is not career ending, it's growth ending ( in layman's term, the injured leg stops growing).

MissMeth said:
no im not misinterpreting anything... even walking away is disrespectful! Yes it is a physical sport but that doesnt mean it has to be a rude sport too. Even the more reason to show no hard feelings. For you to say that it is "soft" for something to be considerate is just plain ridiculous. And we wonder why this world is so angry.

It's kinda like "ya leave the dance with the one who brought ya". Let me ask you this, what if Ricky Williams ran over to Kenoy Kennedy two or three plays after Kenoy laid out CC, and helped him up and started chatting. You think CC would have liked that?? Come on, all the guy is saying is he tells his players to stay focused and remember who is on YOUR team. You make him out to be an axe murderer or something. I would love for more people like that to teach our kids. It doesn't teach violence, it teaches loyality. :shakeno:

VanDolPhan said:
You'd think someone involved in little "LEAGUE" football could at least spell it. Maybe that's just me though. :goof:

And you would think people had better things to do than go around checking to see if everyone hit every key perfectly. People make mistakes and don't always find it important enough to go back and use spell check on a freaking message board. :goof:

grendel said:
Jizim, you need to relax, it's pee wee football! Do you realize how bad full contact sports are for kids. A major injury to the your son's femur, at the growth plate is not career ending, it's growth ending ( in layman's term, the injured leg stops growing).

Yeah well, ya better take all skate boards and jump ropes, and every other toy away too, while your at it. Lack of focus ADDS to injury. Helping someone up is not gonna keep them from getting hurt. :lol:

chambers84 said:

What he is teaching is sportmanship. You have loyalties to YOUR team. I'm sure if you feel you have to help someone up you can find someone on your own team.:shakeno:

Why don't some of you people try what you are saying at work. Go tell your competitors all the inside secrets that make your company sucessful and see how that works out. It's the way life works. deal with it!!!

jjizzim said:
See my previous post about the little leauge stuff.

AS for the dolphins. Zach thomas is also under sized for a middle LB, and so was sertain and madison. And a lot of times it's not the size it's the mentality. It was well known that sam madison was not eager to come and make the tackle. and zach has the biggest heart on the team but is just limited by his size. If he has big DT's to keep the olinemen off of him then he is great, but if he has to shed blockers and make tackles then he is not as good. What were his stats last year with the two big DT's hurt for most of the season? did he do as good as when those guys were in there? I don't thinks so. how many time have this defense gave up the winning touchdown or field goal in close games over the years? Numerous. I can think of a few off the top of my head, NE two years ago ( the great collapse) and Cincinatti last year.

The system (and players) was good for 3 quarters but in the fourth quarter when it mattered the most this system faultered and so did the players, too many times.

I did not see anyone tell you what I told you. I'll say it different if you insist. You teach kids stuff like that when your coaching is not good enough to actually teach them football. If a coach is actually a great teacher, then he gets the most out of his kids, without having to rely on the any means necessary tactics.

Zach might be a little short but he is fine in the middle at 235. His stats were good enough to rank him in the top 5 once again, and he missed 3 games, remember?

Ray Lewis had trouble when blocked by a lineman as well. The showed close ups of one of the Cinci Guards pounding him thruout a game last year. He lost almost every battle.

Madison, and Surtain are both the perfect weight for a Corner. Surtain is an excellent tackler, and Madison greatly improved his tackling skilz the last two years. A corner that is tall, fast, over 200, and one who can tackle like a safety is a rare bread player.

People can blame the defense all they want, but when your offense can't pass the ball, and can barely get a good yards per carry running the ball, well that means the defense is going to be on the field way too much, And when the offense can't do the one thing needed the most, and that's score points, it makes it much much harder on that D.

Tarheel, how can you compare full contact football to skateboarding and jumping rope? If you are talking about the teens involved in extreme boarding, then I agree. The differece is they are teens and the damage is not as extensive. But we are talking about pee wee football. Jizm's post is not about helping an opponent up, think about it. He is willing to subject little boys to "smash mouth ball"! If you think this is normal, there something wrong or you have never played full contact ball!

miamirick said:
Good post...except for the little league football stuff...Kids should learn good sportsmanship from an early age....IMO, helping up a player you just planted into the ground doesn't show weakness, it actually shows strength of character.

Yea, really........ I think this guy is just evil or something. I coach little league football as well, and I never even heard of someone penalizing a player for showing good sportsmanship..........Especially at their ages!!! I do however get the general point of his post we have gotten just a little bit soft over the years, the last guy we really had on defense with the mean type of attitude he's talking about was Brian Cox. I can't remember how many fights he got into.......... My favorite one was when he was on the bench, and someone got into it with Marino, and here comes Brian (a MLB)flying on the field to protect his QB, that was GREAT

I dont think there is a person out there in the NFL who finds Zach or JT as a candy ***.

Back
Top Bottom