Nick saban this morning | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick saban this morning

Oboy said:
I did not get to hear much of what he said this morning, but one of my co-workers heard it and came to talk to me about it. Now my co-worker is a Jet fan, however one of the few that can talk logically about both teams (not too biased either direction).

Anyway, his words, "Saban scares me. He sounds like he will be a great coach. All of the other coaches in Miami have had a flaw that made me not worry about them as much. Shula was getting old, Jimmy was arogant ... to a flaw, and Wanny was just stupid. Saban has me nervous."

I am sorry, but that alone made my friday. I love to hear that teams (or at least fans) are starting to get scared!!

I agree and players are just a reflection of the coach. So if saban brings that type of attitude then his players will start to exude the same type of attitide.

jjizzim said:
I agree with most of that, but I coach at a park where kids learn to hit as early as 8 and 9. By the time their 12 the have a solid understanding of how to bring it. you are right the contact part is just a matter of if they can take it or not. but tackling dummies and taackling drills are a good way to teach the fundemantals of good tackling. And you can teach contact. My teams is made up of 11 and 12 year olds and trust me they know the concept of hitting. The know what crack back blocks are, how to give them and how to avoid them and what happens if they become a victim of one. And most of them knew this before they even got to my team.
  • I don't dissagree kids as early as 8-9 can make contact, they are few.
  • I have seen the game from all levels and I am sure you have kids at 12 that "bring it", point being some "bring it" more than others. And if you have a team where every player "brings it" that is an exception.
  • Knowing the concept and hitting are not the same.
  • As the age levels continue the hitting gets heavier.
  • But no matter the level just about all coaches will take a kid who hits over a kid who may have superior physical skills but does not accept contact.

bigmiamifan said:
You sound like that evil coach in the karate kid.

I don't care about your record, it's how you play the game and what life lessons are taught, especially at that age. This is a game, a sport, a competition, not a duel to the death. I am a fierce competitor at any and everything I do or play in life and will instill anything in my kids short of the manner in which I deem appropriate sportsmanship. No one likes a spoiled sport, and not helping someone up is just crappy. I'm not saying, waste time, go out of their way to help someone up. But if the kid is getting up and the other kid is right there, a hand of help should be rewarded and smiled upon, not punished like some russian cold war tactics against the US in sports.

OK I will say this and leave this part of my comment alone. I believe what I'm teaching is dicipline, and responsibility. As players you have a job to do no matter what age. You don't want to do anything that takes away from what you are trying to accomplish. 5 yard penalties can be crucial in a drive especially when dealing with little leaguers. A five yard penalty can stall a whole drive. so if my players have to choose between getting back to the huddle to avoid a penalty and helping someone up I would rather them choose getting back to the huddle. What are you proving by helping him up? That you are a nice young man? Do you really think that he cares? I don't think it's rude or disrepectful to go back to your huddle. Whenever you see someone get tackled, you don't see them asking for a hand to get up, most of the time it's the opposing players offering the hand, so how is this rude? Now I could see if one of my players makes a tackle and the other player puts his hand out for some assistance getting up and my player just walks away, I could see how that could be considered rude, but it normally does not happen like that it's the other way round. So IMO it is going out of your way to help them up because they did not ask for your help in the first place.

I guess we just have different views on how the game should be played. Can we just agree to disagree?:)

Oboy said:
I did not get to hear much of what he said this morning, but one of my co-workers heard it and came to talk to me about it. Now my co-worker is a Jet fan, however one of the few that can talk logically about both teams (not too biased either direction).

Anyway, his words, "Saban scares me. He sounds like he will be a great coach. All of the other coaches in Miami have had a flaw that made me not worry about them as much. Shula was getting old, Jimmy was arogant ... to a flaw, and Wanny was just stupid. Saban has me nervous."

I am sorry, but that alone made my friday. I love to hear that teams (or at least fans) are starting to get scared!!

:D :D :D

thedayafter said:
  • I don't dissagree kids as early as 8-9 can make contact, they are few.
  • I have seen the game from all levels and I am sure you have kids at 12 that "bring it", point being some "bring it" more than others. And if you have a team where every player "brings it" that is an exception.
  • Knowing the concept and hitting are not the same.
  • As the age levels continue the hitting gets heavier.
  • But no matter the level just about all coaches will take a kid who hits over a kid who may have superior physical skills but does not accept contact.

you're right. The team that I had last year that won it all had hitters accross the board, offensivly and defensivley, but that was an exceptional bunch. But they all knew the concept and applied it. The kids with superior physical skills but does not like the contact on my teams usually play QB or WR where the contact is not as tough.

jjizzim said:
Actually I have but that's neither here or there. I'm going to spew off a few names and then tell you what they have in common

1. Micheal Jordan
2. Dennis Rodmen
3. Isaha Thomas
4. Ray Lewis
5. Deon Sanders
6. Micheal Irvin
7. Clinton Portos
8. Edgerin James
9. Dewayne Wade
10. John Lynch
11. Warren Sapp
12. Ed Reed.

THEY ALL TRASH TALK WHEN PLAYING THE GAME. NOT AFTER BUT DURING.
And they are all great players:shakeno: I guess you just won't understand. And the I'm not trying to stir the pot with the race comment but I just noticed whenever I hear someone complaining about players trash talking they happen to be white, and I think this is because their is a culture difference and the difference is not fully understood. Did you see white men can't jump? This is a hollywood movie but the what you say was true, (not the white man can't jump part) but the way they were talking trash to each other and playing the game, no one takes it personal but the spectators that watch. All of the players understand that it's just a part of the game

I'm not sure people understand you when you say it is a part of their culture...because that is exactly what it is.
It can all start with the first sight (as a kid) of an unbelievable play whether in basketball, football...etc, and then going outside and trying to mimic it. You practice and practice and finally get it or something close to it and then that moment comes where you do it in game and people around you see it and its a breathtaking, "Chest-thumping" moment where you are king kong and you get high fives and yells from the sidelines and the trash talking is all a part of that. The grimy court all of a sudden becomes "your house" and you are the one holding the key to victory over anyone trying to disrespect your skills there.
Next time you see a few inner city kids hooping it up at some rusty-in need of repair court, pull over and listen in....but be careful. ;)

• The bottom line IMO is that most fans are so separated from the violence of the professional game they have very little concept of what actually happens.
  • Most fans view the game from the stands or on TV and see or know little of the violence actually happening on the field.
  • If you have ever been on the field during a pro game, the sound, the vibration, the smell, the speed, the blood, the vomit, the contact is surreal. The level of intensity required to do the job is insane, it is brutal.
  • These players sell their bodies and pay the price themselves in their later years.
  • Take any fan out of the stands, especially the ones that say "anyone could do that" and let them suit up for 1 rep, after that they would keep their mouths shut forever.

jjizzim said:
I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games,

chill buddy, it's just little league football. that's good sportsmanship helping players up- after you put them on their arses.

jjizzim said:
... but let me tell you how most blacks play sports. WE TRASH TALK, PERIOD.... I don't know what neighborhood you live in but go to an area where it's prodominatlely black and watch ....

I've been to those neighborhoods, I've seen the people in those neighborhoods that want desperately to get out of it. I would NEVER let my children near those neighborhoods, and I would be very explicit in guiding them in decency and self-respect that would keep them out of those neighborhoods, and away from the derilicts of society that are produced by the self-aggrandizing you support, jjizzm.

I doubt that this puffed-up mental midgit is in any way affiliated with a structured youth-league organization. He is a ghetto troll. He sure quacks like one.

i wouldn't dismiss Jimmy Johnson's attempt... he tried this approach to the extreme, and if you doubt it, read the book "Shark among Dolphins"... they were about smashing teams in the mouth and being tough.... that's not necessarily the absolute answer..

the New England Patriots have shown the league the way... play smart, play sound, play unselfish.... Toughness and attitude are great, right up until you get a personal foul while defending 3rd-and-14.

TeeMoney said:
I've been to those neighborhoods, I've seen the people in those neighborhoods that want desperately to get out of it. I would NEVER let my children near those neighborhoods, and I would be very explicit in guiding them in decency and self-respect that would keep them out of those neighborhoods, and away from the derilicts of society that are produced by the self-aggrandizing you support, jjizzm.

Where do you think the majority of football players and basketball players come from?? "Those Neighborhoods" I grew up in those neighborhoods and I turned out just fine. These neighborhoods can and do produce "decent and self-respecting" people. It's just a different culture than yours and if you are a self-respecting individual like you claim to be then you should understand and respect cultural differences.

thedayafter said:
  • The bottom line IMO is that most fans are so separated from the violence of the professional game they have very little concept of what actually happens.
  • Most fans view the game from the stands or on TV and see or know little of the violence actually happening on the field.
  • If you have ever been on the field during a pro game, the sound, the vibration, the smell, the speed, the blood, the vomit, the contact is surreal. The level of intensity required to do the job is insane, it is brutal.
  • These players sell their bodies and pay the price themselves in their later years.
  • Take any fan out of the stands, especially the ones that say "anyone could do that" and let them suit up for 1 rep, after that they would keep their mouths shut forever.

totally agree, i was never on a sideline during an NFL game, but i had a chance to stay on the sideline with the berlin thunder during last weekends game ,NFL Europe that is and this was already brutal stuff, can only imagine how tough it must be in the NFL

TeeMoney said:
I doubt that this puffed-up mental midgit is in any way affiliated with a structured youth-league organization. He is a ghetto troll. He sure quacks like one.

WHOA WHOA now. A ghetto troll??? No need to call me names. IF you have a problem with something I said say your peace and we can debate it. I think I have explained myself more than enough with the comment about little leauge football. But it's funny to me how people can read an entire passage and pick one sentence of, totally overlooking the main Idea of the passage. Whether or not I am affiliated with a youth football leauge is really irrelevnet. IF you care to comment about my dolphin related comments feel free buddy. :shakeno:

jjizzim said:
WHOA WHOA now. A ghetto troll??? No need to call me names. IF you have a problem with something I said say your peace and we can debate it. I think I have explained myself more than enough with the comment about little leauge football. But it's funny to me how people can read an entire passage and pick one sentence of, totally overlooking the main Idea of the passage. Whether or not I am affiliated with a youth football leauge is really irrelevnet. IF you care to comment about my dolphin related comments feel free buddy. :shakeno:

You'd think someone involved in little "LEAGUE" football could at least spell it. Maybe that's just me though. :goof:

Back
Top Bottom