Nick saban this morning | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick saban this morning

jjizzim said:
I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games, you shake hands after the game is over, period.

Well, then you're not the type of coach I'd let my kids play for. There's nothing wrong with leveling someone, and there's equally nothing wrong with then helping him up. Being a strong competitor has nothing to do with manners. You are supporting bad sportsmanship like behavior, just as bad as the dad who comes in and fights or shoots someone because his kid was mistreated.

You make you kids run laps because they missed the tackle, not because they offered to help someone up. That's ignorant.

jjizzim said:
I agree with 95% of what you just said. But you would be suprised of how much trash talking goes on on the field. When I say trash talking I'm talking about amongst the players, I feel as though if everyone in the stadium knows you're trash talking then you are out of line. All of the great players talked a little trash when they were playing. It's not a bad thing, just don't go over board and hurt your team with penalties and and things like that.

But take a look at a guy like Ray Lewis.....he says a lot of stuff to get the guys fired up before the game starts...but once the game starts he is totally focuses on his job and he doesn't talk crap or taunt players during the game. He is not like T.O. and Randy Moss who don't know what to shut their mouths and play.

jjizzim said:
In my original post I said nothing about trash talking. hence why i said in my original post. I also said since it was brought up i'll comment on it. If you know any professional athletes ask them if trash talking is a part of the game and they will tell you the exact thing I'm telling you. I'm not just making this stuff up. I happen to know a few athletes

1. Samari Roll
2. Mike McKenzie
3. Lenny harris

And they have all told me this. And also from playing in high school I have experienced it first hand.

I was not even quoting you in my orginal post. And I do know plenty of pro's and ex pros. I have sold many of them houses in my area. In fact the two I know the best would not put up with there sons doing it. They are both ex great players and did it with class.

And I do know its done (trash talking), but it does not make it right, or make the game fun.

And I'm not trying to stir the pot with you either, we can agree to disagree, that's what this site is about. But I have to disagree with all the trash talking and not helping people up etc... it's just not my style or the way I want my teams playing.

But it does not mean I don't like you!! :hug:

bigmiamifan said:
Well, then you're not the type of coach I'd let my kids play for. There's nothing wrong with leveling someone, and there's equally nothing wrong with then helping him up. Being a strong competitor has nothing to do with manners. You are supporting bad sportsmanship like behavior, just as bad as the dad who comes in and fights or shoots someone because his kid was mistreated.

You make you kids run laps because they missed the tackle, not because they offered to help someone up. That's ignorant.

You can say what you want about my coaching style. We went undefeated 17-0 and won the orange bowl state championship. And it's not the fact that they helped the player up, it's the fact that it goes against what we teach on our football team. We approach the game with a businesslike mentality. do your job and get back to the huddle. No helping players up ( if they're not on your team) no celebrating first downs or things like that. Make the play get back to the huddle, and get ready to line up for the next play. this goes for offense and defense. But I don't just do this for the sake of doing it.

Offensivley, there is a play clock, so the longer you spend helping players up or celebrating the more likely we are to get a delay of game penanlty (especially when dealing with kids)

Defensively, the other team is not going to wait for you to break the huddle and line up in the correct defense. My philosophy is, get back to the huddle as quickly as possible. This is why I make them run laps for helping people

I just happen to think it's also soft, but more so in the professional game. Now that I have explained myself, can we please steer this debate in the direction that it was intended, how do you feel about this as far as the dolphins go? Do you think teams looked at our past teams as soft and if so, do you think we should do something to change this?

jjizzim said:
And then wanstadt came in and just did nothing to improve the seemingly obvious flaw. no disrespect to Zach, Sam, Jason, or surtain, but they all are undersized and IMHO too nice. I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games, you shake hands after the game is over, period. No one on our defense struck fear in opposing offenses. :

The only one undersized on your list is Taylor, and if you think teams do not, "not want to play" against him, your kidding yourself. Football is not all about hits, it's about playing within a system that works. The system used over the last 7 years has averaged being a top 5 defense thruout that time. No team had Miami marked on their calenders as an, I can't wait to play them panzies, game.

Give that same defense a good offense to compliment them, and things "could have" been quite different.

As for the Soft commment. I'll say that any "good coach" can "teach" kids that have some talent to be even better. Sportsmanship is not for games end, it's for thruout the game. If you have to teach your kids to be nasty, or to have what you would call, and attitude just to be better, then to me it sounds like you might try teaching Soccer.....not football.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I was not even quoting you in my orginal post. And I do know plenty of pro's and ex pros. I have sold many of them houses in my area. In fact the two I know the best would not put up with there sons doing it. They are both ex great players and did it with class.

And I do know its done (trash talking), but it does not make it right, or make the game fun.

And I'm not trying to stir the pot with you either, we can agree to disagree, that's what this site is about. But I have to disagree with all the trash talking and not helping people up etc... it's just not my style or the way I want my teams playing.

But it does not mean I don't like you!! :hug:

Alright homie, I can respect that. Like I said in one of my previous post I think the trash talking thing boils down to cultural differences, I know jim mandich does not like it and he played the game, but I also know that micheal irvin likes it and he played also. We just have a difference of opinion. Which is cool becasue this is america and we are allowed to disagree. :)

Roman529 said:
But take a look at a guy like Ray Lewis.....he says a lot of stuff to get the guys fired up before the game starts...but once the game starts he is totally focuses on his job and he doesn't talk crap or taunt players during the game. He is not like T.O. and Randy Moss who don't know what to shut their mouths and play.

This is not true. Ray lewis talks plenty of trash on the field. Have you ever seen a monday night game where they had the mic on him. Trust me he talks. I'm not talking about what moss or TO does. that's show boating. Ray does things like make a bit hit and tell the player that if he gets up it's only going to get worse, or telling the not to come in his area anymore. That's the kind of trash talk I'm talking about. What TO amd Moss does IMO is a bit over board. One thing my high school coach told us was " act like you've been there before"

jjizzim said:
I was actuall in the airforce for six years. But that has nothing to do with it.
well ive served in British army in an infantry regiment so i know about discipline but this a sport. Having respect for the oposition is part of the game. Help him up and do ya best to knock him down next play. thats the game. Im not knocking your attitude to the way you teach ya son cos everyones is different.

this post has become really interesting all of a sudden! :lol:

Ozzy said:
The only one undersized on your list is Taylor, and if you think teams do not, "not want to play" against him, your kidding yourself. Football is not all about hits, it's about playing within a system that works. The system used over the last 7 years has averaged being a top 5 defense thruout that time. No team had Miami marked on their calenders as an, I can't wait to play them panzies, game.

Give that same defense a good offense to compliment them, and things "could have" been quite different.

As for the Soft commment. I'll say that any "good coach" can "teach" kids that have some talent to be even better. Sportsmanship is not for games end, it's for thruout the game. If you have to teach your kids to be nasty, or to have what you would call, and attitude just to be better, then to me it sounds like you might try teaching Soccer.....not football.

See my previous post about the little leauge stuff.

AS for the dolphins. Zach thomas is also under sized for a middle LB, and so was sertain and madison. And a lot of times it's not the size it's the mentality. It was well known that sam madison was not eager to come and make the tackle. and zach has the biggest heart on the team but is just limited by his size. If he has big DT's to keep the olinemen off of him then he is great, but if he has to shed blockers and make tackles then he is not as good. What were his stats last year with the two big DT's hurt for most of the season? did he do as good as when those guys were in there? I don't thinks so. how many time have this defense gave up the winning touchdown or field goal in close games over the years? Numerous. I can think of a few off the top of my head, NE two years ago ( the great collapse) and Cincinatti last year.

The system (and players) was good for 3 quarters but in the fourth quarter when it mattered the most this system faultered and so did the players, too many times.

FanMarino said:
well ive served in British army in an infantry regiment so i know about discipline but this a sport. Having respect for the oposition is part of the game. Help him up and do ya best to knock him down next play. thats the game. Im not knocking your attitude to the way you teach ya son cos everyones is different.

Infantry huh? I couldn't do it. I spent 6 weeks training with the US army and it sucked. I was a military police officer. But see my previous post to why I don't like for my players to help people up.

• As a generallity I would say you cannot "teach" or "coach" kids to hit especially from ages 9-12. The age when hitting starts to make a difference.
  • You can teach/coach technique but you can't coach contact. Football is a game of pain at all levels.
  • You can tell early on when a kid will make contact or not. If contact fails to "click" for a kid by the end of the second week or no later than the third week of practice, football is not for him.
  • Unlike all other youth sports, football asks more from you on the physical and emotional levels, at times there is a whole lot of fear going on, not a bad thing, just different than other traditional sports.
  • I've seen trash talking kids get real quiet in certain drills when they are faced with adversity.
  • I've seen kids that rarely speak that are ferocious hitters.
  • I would take a team of effort players over a team off talkers any day, I might not win but it would be very quiet by the end of the game.

jjizzim said:
You can say what you want about my coaching style. We went undefeated 17-0 and won the orange bowl state championship. And it's not the fact that they helped the player up, it's the fact that it goes against what we teach on our football team. We approach the game with a businesslike mentality. do your job and get back to the huddle. No helping players up ( if they're not on your team) no celebrating first downs or things like that. Make the play get back to the huddle, and get ready to line up for the next play. this goes for offense and defense. But I don't just do this for the sake of doing it.

Offensivley, there is a play clock, so the longer you spend helping players up or celebrating the more likely we are to get a delay of game penanlty (especially when dealing with kids)

Defensively, the other team is not going to wait for you to break the huddle and line up in the correct defense. My philosophy is, get back to the huddle as quickly as possible. This is why I make them run laps for helping people

I just happen to think it's also soft, but more so in the professional game. Now that I have explained myself, can we please steer this debate in the direction that it was intended, how do you feel about this as far as the dolphins go? Do you think teams looked at our past teams as soft and if so, do you think we should do something to change this?

You sound like that evil coach in the karate kid.

I don't care about your record, it's how you play the game and what life lessons are taught, especially at that age. This is a game, a sport, a competition, not a duel to the death. I am a fierce competitor at any and everything I do or play in life and will instill anything in my kids short of the manner in which I deem appropriate sportsmanship. No one likes a spoiled sport, and not helping someone up is just crappy. I'm not saying, waste time, go out of their way to help someone up. But if the kid is getting up and the other kid is right there, a hand of help should be rewarded and smiled upon, not punished like some russian cold war tactics against the US in sports.

I did not get to hear much of what he said this morning, but one of my co-workers heard it and came to talk to me about it. Now my co-worker is a Jet fan, however one of the few that can talk logically about both teams (not too biased either direction).

Anyway, his words, "Saban scares me. He sounds like he will be a great coach. All of the other coaches in Miami have had a flaw that made me not worry about them as much. Shula was getting old, Jimmy was arogant ... to a flaw, and Wanny was just stupid. Saban has me nervous."

I am sorry, but that alone made my friday. I love to hear that teams (or at least fans) are starting to get scared!!

thedayafter said:
  • As a generallity I would say you cannot "teach" or "coach" kids to hit especially from ages 9-12. The age when hitting starts to make a difference.
  • You can teach/coach technique but you can't coach contact. Football is a game of pain at all levels.
  • You can tell early on when a kid will make contact or not. If contact fails to "click" for a kid by the end of the second week or no later than the third week of practice, football is not for him.
  • Unlike all other youth sports, football asks more from you on the physical and emotional levels, at times there is a whole lot of fear going on, not a bad thing, just different than other traditional sports.
  • I've seen trash talking kids get real quiet in certain drills when they are faced with adversity.
  • I've seen kids that rarely speak that are ferocious hitters.
  • I would take a team of effort players over a team off talkers any day, I might not win but it would be very quiet by the end of the game.

I agree with most of that, but I coach at a park where kids learn to hit as early as 8 and 9. By the time their 12 the have a solid understanding of how to bring it. you are right the contact part is just a matter of if they can take it or not. but tackling dummies and taackling drills are a good way to teach the fundemantals of good tackling. And you can teach contact. My teams is made up of 11 and 12 year olds and trust me they know the concept of hitting. The know what crack back blocks are, how to give them and how to avoid them and what happens if they become a victim of one. And most of them knew this before they even got to my team.

Back
Top Bottom