Nick saban this morning | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick saban this morning

I don't think getting mean, nasty, trash talking guys is the answer....that is what the Raiders are and have they had any success as of late? NOOOO. The Patriots are able to win because they focus on playing defense as a team...the only guy who talks trash is Teddy Bruschi with his taunting and celebrating, but for the most part good teams win with guys who each play their role and put the TEAM first. I would rather Nick have a lot of hard working tough guys then a bunch of clowns who always feel the spotlight has to be on them...these guys who run their mouths usually hurt the team more than help.

I'm all for teaching young kids the merits of good sportsmanship. Especially since most of their parents have no idea what that might be like!
But, I don't think that they should be coached to help the other player up after they knock them down, neccesarily. But, that doesn't mean that I would make them run laps if they do, either.
I would coach them to feel that it's alright to help them up, should they feel they need to, but not require them to do so after every tackle.

• I like the fact that "team" is not only becoming more prevalent in todays sports.
  • Pro teams like NE (NFL) and Detroit (NBA) have shown you can defeat a team with better athletes if you play as a team.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I have to disagree, trash talking makes it fun??? Why not play the game for the love of the game?

I'm not even going to get into the race thing!

I may be 41, but I still play competitive basketball and baseball, I don't trash talk, and I have a ball!

The kids on my teams I coach don't trash talk, they keep coming back to play.

And have you ever sat in a corporate board room??? That's where you here trash talking!

Actually I have but that's neither here or there. I'm going to spew off a few names and then tell you what they have in common

1. Micheal Jordan
2. Dennis Rodmen
3. Isaha Thomas
4. Ray Lewis
5. Deon Sanders
6. Micheal Irvin
7. Clinton Portos
8. Edgerin James
9. Dewayne Wade
10. John Lynch
11. Warren Sapp
12. Ed Reed.

THEY ALL TRASH TALK WHEN PLAYING THE GAME. NOT AFTER BUT DURING.
And they are all great players:shakeno: I guess you just won't understand. And the I'm not trying to stir the pot with the race comment but I just noticed whenever I hear someone complaining about players trash talking they happen to be white, and I think this is because their is a culture difference and the difference is not fully understood. Did you see white men can't jump? This is a hollywood movie but the what you say was true, (not the white man can't jump part) but the way they were talking trash to each other and playing the game, no one takes it personal but the spectators that watch. All of the players understand that it's just a part of the game

FanMarino said:
Exactomundo. That was my thought exactly. That type of attitude smells of arrogance and disrespect. You also have to remember alot of the players actually know each other well. Sounds too much like marine corp training !!!

I was actuall in the airforce for six years. But that has nothing to do with it.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Did I quote you????? I don't think so. :shakeno:
Your putting all the words in your mouth on this one.

Did you not just post that trash talking is fun??? :confused:

Or did I put that in in your post also!

In my original post I said nothing about trash talking. hence why i said in my original post. I also said since it was brought up i'll comment on it. If you know any professional athletes ask them if trash talking is a part of the game and they will tell you the exact thing I'm telling you. I'm not just making this stuff up. I happen to know a few athletes

1. Samari Roll
2. Mike McKenzie
3. Lenny harris

And they have all told me this. And also from playing in high school I have experienced it first hand.

thedayafter said:
  • First you cannot compare what goes on in the pro game to any other level. It's a brutal violent game full of intimidation... period.
  • Unfortunately many young players today are more influenecd by what they see on TV rather than what they learn on their practice field or at home for that matter.
  • A significant amount of players on the pro level have come from some very rough places, helping others up is not high on the survival list.
  • Football is not a sport for the timid at any level... parents should recognize this and get their kids out of the game and on to another sport... period.
  • The chemistry and mentallity required to play the game, especially at high levels is such that it over-rides other considerations... like helping the other player up. You are asking a kid to play with aggression one second and then the next second you are asking him to be kind.... a conflict.
  • Be humble in winning, learn from your losses, show respect for the competition, keep your mouth shut, and play like your hair is on fire every down.

Thank you dude. I started to think I was alone in this one.

jjizzim said:
naw I'm alright. I like to debate. I just don't see why everyone is twisting my words and misinterpreting what I'm saying, which is, MAKE THE PLAY AND RETURN TO YOURE HUDDLE.

And no one seems to want to address the rest of my satement as it relates to the dolphins this is really what I wanted to debate about. not about my little leauge coaching abilities. I know what I stand for when I teach kids so that's not really an issue to me.

im neutral in this debate. :)

sn9ke.eyes said:
Can you talk out of any more sides of your mouth ? You seem to change directions everytime someone calls you out on something you've said.

It seems pretty obvious you don't know enough about sportsmanship to teach it to anybody.

Knock the guy down, help him get up, knock him back down the very next play.

C'mon dude, little kids ?

Can we please forget about the little leauge aspect of my comment becasue people tend to interpret thing the wrong way. Lets just keep it strictly on the professional level. Why help them up??? Why use the extra energy it takes to help a 200 pound man up off of the ground. Why not just go back to the huddle? and knock them down on the next play and repeat the cycle? Whats so wrong with that?

I'm a firm believer that you what is done in the NFL does not translate down so well to should be done in Pop Warner etc.

If I had more time at work right now I explain futher, but duty beckons.

I think he's on to something there.... we hafta make teams not want to play us.. change the mentality of the opposition... they have plenty of their own guys to help them up..... this is a team game.. and once its starts theirs no being polite. You don't need to prove what a class act you are ON the field. All that is a distraction. You need to be fired up and aggressive, this is why Roth and Crowder were drafted for Saban's future front 7. These guys, regardless of talent, are guys you'd rather not play against.

Roman529 said:
I don't think getting mean, nasty, trash talking guys is the answer....that is what the Raiders are and have they had any success as of late? NOOOO. The Patriots are able to win because they focus on playing defense as a team...the only guy who talks trash is Teddy Bruschi with his taunting and celebrating, but for the most part good teams win with guys who each play their role and put the TEAM first. I would rather Nick have a lot of hard working tough guys then a bunch of clowns who always feel the spotlight has to be on them...these guys who run their mouths usually hurt the team more than help.

I agree with 95% of what you just said. But you would be suprised of how much trash talking goes on on the field. When I say trash talking I'm talking about amongst the players, I feel as though if everyone in the stadium knows you're trash talking then you are out of line. All of the great players talked a little trash when they were playing. It's not a bad thing, just don't go over board and hurt your team with penalties and and things like that.

phinphan11 said:
I'm all for teaching young kids the merits of good sportsmanship. Especially since most of their parents have no idea what that might be like!
But, I don't think that they should be coached to help the other player up after they knock them down, neccesarily. But, that doesn't mean that I would make them run laps if they do, either.
I would coach them to feel that it's alright to help them up, should they feel they need to, but not require them to do so after every tackle.

I can understand that.

thedayafter said:
  • Many of todays issues lay at the feet of parents and not kids.
  • Parents think they always have the next.... they have more of a chance of getting struck by lighning.
  • Parents rarely make good coaches... there are exceptions.
  • Parents behavior is a significant issue for many kids, many choose to quit sports rather that to listen to parents rail....
  • Parents would be better served to ask their kids to show repect for authority, the game, their opponent and give 100% at all times... and then stay out of it.

I agree 100%

AirChambers84 said:
I think he's on to something there.... we hafta make teams not want to play us.. change the mentality of the opposition... they have plenty of their own guys to help them up..... this is a team game.. and once its starts theirs no being polite. You don't need to prove what a class act you are ON the field. All that is a distraction. You need to be fired up and aggressive, this is why Roth and Crowder were drafted for Saban's future front 7. These guys, regardless of talent, are guys you'd rather not play against.

Exactly. I over the years the dolphins have come to be known as a soft non physical team, and I feel like we need to change that perception. No one thinks of the baltimore ravens that way or the NE patriots, or any of the other great defenses in the leauge. When people talk about the dolphins especially defensively, they talk about team speed and instincts, nothing about physical play and intimidation. This needs to change

Back
Top Bottom