Nick saban this morning | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick saban this morning

I am sure glad you are not coaching down here..

jjizzim said:
I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games, you shake hands after the game is over, period.:fire:

That is about the most infantile approach to sports I have ever seen, especially when you are coaching young people. THIS IS A GAME. It is not going to change the course of world history in any way that really counts, and if you want to teach that style of life, go learn from the Marines how to instill true manhood into young men. Teaching young boys to be intimidating and forgoing something called sportsmanship at that age is one of the things that lead to such societal diseases as drive by shootings, bullying in school, and the increased rate of imprisonment when the young men you teach take that same attitude into real life and suddenly realize that life is NOT a game and that kind of attitude will get you in real trouble or real dead. If you are not teaching sportsmanship when you are coaching, then you are an abhorrent coach and should be removed from the ranks. When you play a game you can get up and walk away from it (usually). In real life, when you act is such a fashion as you are teaching your wards, the results are not always the same - and the consequences are severe.

jjizzim said:
Nick saban was on the radio this mornig with Joe Rose for his weekly appearance and had some really nice things to say IMO. The one thing that he said the most is that (and I'm paraphrasing here) he wants a team that plays physical hard nosed football that other teams don't want to play against. He also said that this is more important than what the scoreboard says.

Now this is how I feel about his statement.

It's about damn time we get a coach in here that want's to play some real football. I'm not talking about the finess candyass type football that we've been subjected to since the killer bees of the 80's (or was it early nineties? i forget) Don shula had marino so the offense was more of a finess offense and the defense just was not that good. Then jimmy came in and tried to implement a more punishing type offense but still had marino and shula's players so that didn't work. He also brought his miami philosophy of great speed on defense but what he failed to remember is that Those UM teamse had some real intimidating players on it that would knock the snot out of you if you got it twisted. (that's slang for misunderstood). And then wanstadt came in and just did nothing to improve the seemingly obvious flaw. no disrespect to Zach, Sam, Jason, or surtain, but they all are undersized and IMHO too nice. I don't like players to make a tackle and help the player up, THAT'S SOFT. I coach little leauge football and I make my players run laps in practice for doing that in games, you shake hands after the game is over, period. No one on our defense struck fear in opposing offenses. The closest we got to a big hitter recently was Sammy knight but he just didn't have that atwater, or lot, or even lynch attitude. I would have loved for us to pick up that safety from denver (I forget his name the one who knocked chambers out two years ago). those are the types of players that need to be on this team, mean and nasty sons of *******. I believe that if you play physical hardnosed football for four quaters, every game, the score board will take care of itself. Our team over the years while good, has never had this type of personell make up but I'm starting to see that change. Anybody feel like I do or am I just crazy??????/ :fire:

Intimidating football is something we all want, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you help someone up. Frankly, I find it pathetic that you teach that. All you're teaching is bad sportsmanship. Do you also encourage your kids to try to injure the opposition?

Attitude is everything, but nothing is more important that what the scoreboard reads at the end of the game!

fishfan34 said:
Attitude is everything, but nothing is more important that what the scoreboard reads at the end of the game!

Revert to the last post on the previous page in this thread.

id like to see one of our players dance on top of some1 after they lay a big hit

@@@@@ said:
Kennoy Kennedy is nothing but a cheap shot merchant who lacks range or anything resembling coverage skills, yeah he can put a hit on someone but guys need to have ability as well as attitude

I don't know about all of his hits, but that hit on chambers was not a cheap shot. The nfl is making the leauge extremely soft and offense oriented. Changing the chuck rule and the not being able to hit the QB rule is all in an attempt to sissyfy the game. What Kennedy does is nothing different than what ronnie lot did or steve atwater did in their day. It is supposed to be a giving in football that if you go accross the middle you will get smashed. period point blank. DB's And LB's need to have this attitude. We all cringed when chambers took that hit, but the former highschool coner back part of me let off a little smile. the bottom line is we need that type of touhness on this team

miamirick said:
Good post...except for the little league football stuff...Kids should learn good sportsmanship from an early age....IMO, helping up a player you just planted into the ground doesn't show weakness, it actually shows strength of character.

I Don't agree. On I'm not discounting the sportmanship part of the game especially in kids, but theres a time for that. After the game. The kids shake hands and the the other team members good game and all of that, but during the game it's strictly business

finmann said:
I don't agree, but if you want physical hard nose football no problem. I'll take a win anyway I can get it.

you don't agree with what? So you like the fact that our defense does not make people not want to play us? and that our team is a bit soft? :confused:

AlanSaysYo said:
:shakeno: That's not soft, that's respectful. It's a damn game, not a war.

Respectful? Please, this is not a war I agree, But it aint ballet either. Be respectful after the games is over. You never see ray lewis help up a player after he has hit him. What you see is Ray in that players ear letting him know that it's going to be like that the whole game. This takes a toll on you mentally as well as physically, ask eddie george

DolphinDevil28 said:
Correct, but what Nick Saban believes is you teach and focus primarily on the things you need to do in order to get the results you want on the scoreboard.

Hard work, dominate your man, do your job, etc... and the scores will come.

The score of a game is the bi-product. You can't go through a game expecting the score to change in your favor if you don't focus on what you need to do correctly.

I agree

islandah said:
Glad my son isn't learning his sportsmanship from you! It isn't being soft to have enough self-respect to help an opponent up, and then continue to knock him down on the next play.

I am a strong advocate of sportsmanship, but since when did helping a player up become a sign of good sportsmaship? I believe sportsmanship is being confident but humble about the game and showing good moral character on the feild. helping up IMO is just not necessary to show this

RevRick said:
That is about the most infantile approach to sports I have ever seen, especially when you are coaching young people. THIS IS A GAME. It is not going to change the course of world history in any way that really counts, and if you want to teach that style of life, go learn from the Marines how to instill true manhood into young men. Teaching young boys to be intimidating and forgoing something called sportsmanship at that age is one of the things that lead to such societal diseases as drive by shootings, bullying in school, and the increased rate of imprisonment when the young men you teach take that same attitude into real life and suddenly realize that life is NOT a game and that kind of attitude will get you in real trouble or real dead. If you are not teaching sportsmanship when you are coaching, then you are an abhorrent coach and should be removed from the ranks. When you play a game you can get up and walk away from it (usually). In real life, when you act is such a fashion as you are teaching your wards, the results are not always the same - and the consequences are severe.

Are you serious? Where in my comments did I say anything about being intimidating behavior wise? you act as if I said that I teach my players to spit on opposing players after a tackle. If you play physical that, alone will do the intimidating for you, you don't have to do anything extra. and I am an advocate of sportmaship, we shake hands before the game and after. most of my player are friends with the players that they play against. They either go to the same school or live in the same neigborhoods so after the games they usually play throw up tackle and various other games together. ALL I SAID WAS THAT IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HELP OPPOSING PLAYERS UP:shakeno: .

jjizzim said:
I am a strong advocate of sportsmanship, but since when did helping a player up become a sign of good sportsmaship? I believe sportsmanship is being confident but humble about the game and showing good moral character on the feild. helping up IMO is just not necessary to show this
Since when did NOT helping a player up show good sportsmanship.:confused:

gofins said:
Since when did NOT helping a player up show good sportsmanship.:confused:

It doesn't. But what it does do, is let them know that during the game you're not their friend and that you mean business. When the game is over that's when sportsmanship is shown. After you have beaten a team by 21 points and you walk up to them look them in the I shake their hand and say good game, you all played great and things like that. Answer me this question. How many times did you see ray lewis, ronnie lot, mike singletary, or steve atwater help people after big hits?????? you guys are pathetic :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom