Nik Needham | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nik Needham

I don't think you do 'safe' when you have a top pick. I think you swing for the fences... Last year, about 60% of this board wanted Tua for that reason... I wanted other players, but these players were also extremely high upside picks with a bust factor.
Taking 'safe' picks gets you a Charles Harris type most of the time. I was no fan of most of the offensive tackles last year for that same reason. They'd pretty much already hit their ceilings.
Parsons, Sewell, Rousseau... these guys have off the charts... unrealized... potential. I'm gonna go there and take solid players later.

I don't think you do 'safe' when you have a top pick. I think you swing for the fences... Last year, about 60% of this board wanted Tua for that reason... I wanted other players, but these players were also extremely high upside picks with a bust factor.
Taking 'safe' picks gets you a Charles Harris type most of the time. I was no fan of most of the offensive tackles last year for that same reason. They'd pretty much already hit their ceilings.
Parsons, Sewell, Rousseau... these guys have off the charts... unrealized... potential. I'm gonna go there and take solid players later.
The only "risk" in that group is Rousseau IMO.

Key is to target legit impact players -- kids that can make a difference. All 3 fit that possibility.

All I can say is there are a lot of spots that need upgrading, don’t fall in love with every player on this team right now. Quite a few still need to be upgraded.

This is 100% IT and what i was going to post.

Winning and playing good makes you fall in love with almost every single player.

Some have definately earned the early extensions like Seiler even though i dont think they have announced his contract yet. But it was almost a no brainer. As RFA unless we tendered him higher then i think he would've been gone to another team

We resigned Shaheen even though its not like he would've had a market in the offseason. But we are paying him the same thing he was making when we signed him which is next to nothing, still think he could've been replaced.

Talks of wanting to re-up Karras who mainly signed with us cause it was a prove it deal where he would be handed a starting position and he could earn a bigger check. I think he loves it here, but at the same time, he came here because he wanted to get paid in 2021

Nik Needham, we can bring back for the veteran minimum next year and he really cant say **** about it and no one else can touch him.

Im sure some here would prob want to go ahead and lock up ahmed.

If we were losing and some of these guys like Karras and Needham amongst a few others, were playing the same ball like they are playing now, noone would care if they slipped away because we are losing with them.

It's a stretch of my imagination but I do think Iggy eventually ends up on the slot. I say this because of his physical makeup with the compact body and relatively short arms.

This is 100% IT and what i was going to post.

Winning and playing good makes you fall in love with almost every single player.

Some have definately earned the early extensions like Seiler even though i dont think they have announced his contract yet. But it was almost a no brainer. As RFA unless we tendered him higher then i think he would've been gone to another team

We resigned Shaheen even though its not like he would've had a market in the offseason. But we are paying him the same thing he was making when we signed him which is next to nothing, still think he could've been replaced.

Talks of wanting to re-up Karras who mainly signed with us cause it was a prove it deal where he would be handed a starting position and he could earn a bigger check. I think he loves it here, but at the same time, he came here because he wanted to get paid in 2021

Nik Needham, we can bring back for the veteran minimum next year and he really cant say **** about it and no one else can touch him.

Im sure some here would prob want to go ahead and lock up ahmed.

If we were losing and some of these guys like Karras and Needham amongst a few others, were playing the same ball like they are playing now, noone would care if they slipped away because we are losing with them.
I follow you -- but the concluding statement seems a tad off to me based on the fact we are winning and we are winning as a TEAM. In my view Needham is a viable component within the team concept -- and I bet his attitude, work habits, focus etc. are valued by Flo -- which has to be considered a "priority" based on the culture we've obviously created and therefore want to sustain.

That said no compelling need to immediately start working on Needham's contract. That has to be (#1) value based and (#2) support the team concept. The contract we just inked with Sieler is a perfect example of that. In addition, and possibly overlooked, getting players like Sieler locked up adds another degree of "potential" in the bank -- and that's tradability!

IMO it seems Karras would be a target at this point. Other kids are still in the process of "proving..." But Flo + Grier are certainly making way more good moves than bad -- so I'm quite comfortable with their decisions at this point.

Last, I'm not so sure about having "so many" spots to upgrade. Even with the draft ammo we've accumulated you're certainly NOT going to see another round of 50% roster turnover. I think the core of the roster is fairly well in place -- and we are focused on developing players not flipping them.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we burned some draft capital in '21 to wind up with 5 picks in the top 60 (maybe better) -- targeting impact players who they feel can come in and make a difference right away. WR - LB - RB - Edge and DB look prime to me.

Bottom line -- we are so far ahead of the expected curve this upcoming draft is almost looking like bonus time. Hope so.

I don't see where anyone is saying to pay these guys Byron Jones money and ignore the position in the draft in the foreseeable future.

Look what we just paid Sieler. That's what we want. Low end contract to keep a guy who's good depth.

Hell, he may even be better than depth, and then we'd have a bargain. Dude's still learning

I follow you -- but the concluding statement seems a tad off to me based on the fact we are winning and we are winning as a TEAM. In my view Needham is a viable component within the team concept -- and I bet his attitude, work habits, focus are valued by Flo -- which has to be considered a "priority" based on the culture we've obviously created and therefore want to sustain.

That said no compelling need to immediately start working on Needham's contract. That has to be (#1) value based and (#2) support the team concept. The contract we just inked with Sieler is a perfect example of that. In addition, and possibly overlooked, getting players like Sieler locked up adds another degree of "potential" in the bank -- and that's tradability!

IMO it seems Karras would be a target at this point. Other kids are still in the process of "proving..." But Flo + Grier are certainly making way more good moves than bad -- so I'm quite comfortable with their decisions at this point.

Last, I'm not so sure about having "so many" spots to upgrade. Even with the draft ammo we've accumulated you're certainly NOT going to see another round of 50% roster turnover. I think the core of the roster is fairly well in place -- and we are focused on developing players not flipping them.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we burned some draft capital in '21 to wind up with 5 picks in the top 60 (maybe better) -- targeting impact players who they feel can come in and make a difference right away. WR - LB - RB - Edge and DB look prime to me.

Bottom line -- we are so far ahead of the expected curve this upcoming draft is almost looking like bonus time. Hope so.

Dang you Big Nasty F'er, were you editting this post or something, i was trying to copy to quote, and it kept giving me errors. Guess i could've just replied without quoting.

Im impressed too by the quick turn around, i really didnt expect to seeing most of this til 2021.

THe Sieler contract that was just announced was insane. His extension is less total than what i think GChaux was thinking he was going to ask for per year.

Maybe im just so used to us being forced to TRY to fall in love with a fools gold on a bad team that I'm not used to us actually having some gold flakes in the pan.

Unless you are adding 2 years to him at a super cheap price then there is no reason to jump the gun on him since you have him one more at the minimum.

He still gets handsy at times, but definitely improving. I'd like to see Miami locked down Karras and extend Ogbah as well.
yes ogbah is definitely in need to get a extension, i just dont think it will happen bc he is good through next year. I would give him a bump and at least an extra year

He also is playing with 2 all-pro cbs so qbs are going to try and pick on him

Back
Top Bottom