Nik Needham | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nik Needham

Needham is a versatile corner where he is good in the slot and capable on the edge.

My opinion is that Igbo is a boundary corner. His skills are well tailored to outside vs inside. And while that seems odd since Miami has invested so much in boundary guys but go look at the contracts...Jones is effectively a 3 year deal and totally eatable amount of dead money post 2022 and X after 2021 is the same, something like 5 million in dead money. Having a guy develop and simply be in place to take over once the time arrives is critical.

During the weeks leading up to the start of the season Miami was getting trade calls on Needham. If Miami tenders him, which they should, it's possible those trade calls continue into next season.

He's certainly improved from earlier in the year. He's learned the slot CB position on the fly. He was very shaky early but has done a fantastic job lately.

Needham is a versatile corner where he is good in the slot and capable on the edge.

My opinion is that Igbo is a boundary corner. His skills are well tailored to outside vs inside. And while that seems odd since Miami has invested so much in boundary guys but go look at the contracts...Jones is effectively a 3 year deal and totally eatable amount of dead money post 2022 and X after 2021 is the same, something like 5 million in dead money. Having a guy develop and simply be in place to take over once the time arrives is critical.
It's also not a horrible idea to have a capable backup signed semi-long-term on an affordable contract.

He still gets handsy at times, but definitely improving. I'd like to see Miami locked down Karras and extend Ogbah as well.

Last edited:
It was a slow transition for him at the start of the year, he's learned though in the nickel that he can't be as handsy. He's looked really great these last few weeks, much like last year where he started off cold and then really lifted off. All signs of someone who can take coaching and has the talent to adjust and execute, ie the perfect Flores player. He's a keeper in my view and I totally agree with the OP, we should make it a priority to extend.

He’s far from great, and only has flashes of good. I like the kid but as hoops said he’s grabby. I’ve mentioned before that he’s a small school guy that has things moving a lil too fast right now. Lets see if he keeps up through the whole year
If you watch the NFL you see a LOT of grabby... He's not getting nailed for it excessively so what's the prob?
Part of being a good Pro is knowing what you can and can't get away with. Like I said -- he's smart. And he
does what the coaches ask. Obviously he's not "great," but that's a red herring in my view...

It’s still peaks and valleys. I’d wait till end of season. He flashed last year too then started off this year ice cold

Agreed. I’m not keen on handing out extensions at a position we are already paying two of the top salaries at already.

Needham is a decent player, probably average overall. Miami will have to find a new Nik Needham, most likely.

Last week a bunch of people wanted to give Tex Karas an extension. Others are happy with Jessie Davis’s play.

All I can say is there are a lot of spots that need upgrading, don’t fall in love with every player on this team right now. Quite a few still need to be upgraded.

Speaking of Jesse Davis, I'd love to see him finish his career in Miami. Hopefully that means another short term extension? Karras and Ogbah should be extended as well.

If you watch the NFL you see a LOT of grabby... He's not getting nailed for it excessively so what's the prob?
Part of being a good Pro is knowing what you can and can't get away with. Like I said -- he's smart. And he
does what the coaches ask. Obviously he's not "great," but that's a red herring in my view...

there’s been multiple stints where he has gotten nailed for it excessively. Including this year

It's tough I like Nik Needham alot but with inboghene i don't think he is a player we need to commit money to next season but then again if he keeps playing lights out maybe we can move Inboghene to FS to compete against Mccain.
Do you realize that Bobby McCain is the QB of our Defense? (Coach Flores admitted it in a press conference a couple of weeks ago). Bobby is a team captain and also a great communicator. He is making the calls on the field to get all the DBs in position to attack. The coaches and his teammates absolutely love him. Yes, Bobby is physically short and probably has been ever since he started playing football, but please recognize that he's a key part of our Defense which is now considered top 5.
Noah Igbinoghene still has high potential (as a corner) but he's not taking Bobby's position.

Last edited:
What???????????

In what universe you talking?

1 Defensive Holding in 2020! (Way back Buffalo game)

1 PI accepted 2020! (San Fran)

Bottom line. You're just wrong.

:lol:
X's performance against the Cards not withstanding, this team doesn't commit very many penalties, and Needham, specifically, hasn't either.

Why to ppl make stuff up out of thin air?

He has been beaten several times (mostly early in the season), sometimes badly, but I don't think his snaps per penalty is anything out of the norm.

What everyone is forgetting he’s only been in the league 2 years. Look how much he’s improved and who’s to say he won’t improve again. His potential is great and his performances have been good. You don’t hear his name called much which is good. We’ve played some good receivers the last few games. We need good dependable players as well as superstars

Back
Top Bottom