No CBA means bye bye CAP foever | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No CBA means bye bye CAP foever

NO SALARY CAP IS A GOOD THING!!!

It will just emphasize the need for good management.

Before the salary cap, the Steelers were one of the most successful franchises in one of the smallest markets.

You arent going to see teams throwing money around, because the free agent pool will be much smaller.

You wont see teams going from worst to first and back to worst in a couple of years (i.e. St. Louis Rams). It will take a number of years to build a quality team.

There is TOO MUCH parity in the NFL today. That is why you see so many rookies and young players being relied upon.

Bottomline, the quality of the NFL will improve without a salary cap.

big0mar said:
Before the salary cap, the Steelers were one of the most successful franchises in one of the smallest markets.

That was before the modern era of free agency. The game is very different now. You can't just stake your fortune on drafting well, knowing those players are almost certainly yours until they retire.

bdmagnum said:
He may have deep pockets, but that doesn't mean he'll reach into them.

Have you been around the last couple of years? Wayne has been writing big checks for coaches and has shelled out for:

- Naming the stadium after the team (foregoing the money to be made by giving the stadium a crap name)
- A practice bubble
- The two largest LCD displays in the world
- The largest high def ribbon LCD display in the world

He also says he's going to kick the Marlins out and put some type of lid on the stadium.

Wayne has no problem spending money from the looks of things.

I never said to get rid of the cap just explaining who it effects. But by keeping a salary cap something needs to be done to make sure players are taken care of. And you don't need an owner most of the team's stuff is payed for by the taxpayer anyhow. Look at Greenbay they didnt need an owner to come in drop a bunch of money, the people own it since they pay the taxes which makes the stadium and the team possible.

The owners will never agree to a new CBA without a salary cap this is all talk by the union.

This is the same kind of crap the NHLPA union tried to pull, saying we will never have a cap. Well it took a year, and we may be without football in 2008 depending on the stubborness of the union. But eventually the players will give in.

It's billionaires vs. millionaires, who do you think can hold out the longest, alot of these owners have incomes coming from somewhere else, hence why they had the money to start or buy a franchise. Most of the NFL players don't.

The players have no chance.

Jimmy James said:
That was before the modern era of free agency. The game is very different now. You can't just stake your fortune on drafting well, knowing those players are almost certainly yours until they retire.

And it looks like the era of modern free agency is about to end. No more becoming an unrestricted FA after 4 years. Teams will now be able to tag two players, putting the top 64 in the NFL off limits. No more veterans getting cut as "cap casualities". The top 8 teams will only be able to sign one unrestricted FA per offseason.

Even if they dont get it done by today or next week or whatever...They WILL get it done eventually before we go uncapped. I'm betting.

big0mar said:
And it looks like the era of modern free agency is about to end. No more becoming an unrestricted FA after 4 years. Teams will now be able to tag two players, putting the top 64 in the NFL off limits. No more veterans getting cut as "cap casualities". The top 8 teams will only be able to sign one unrestricted FA per offseason.

Could you share the source of this knowlege with the rest of us?

big0mar said:
NO SALARY CAP IS A GOOD THING!!!

It will just emphasize the need for good management.

You arent going to see teams throwing money around, because the free agent pool will be much smaller.

You wont see teams going from worst to first and back to worst in a couple of years (i.e. St. Louis Rams). It will take a number of years to build a quality team.

There is TOO MUCH parity in the NFL today. That is why you see so many rookies and young players being relied upon.

Bottomline, the quality of the NFL will improve without a salary cap.

Well you can't compare the old Steelers in this new era of high salaries. This is the worst backing I have read of a no salary cap league. The salaries back there were low. alot lower than today. The gap with salaries between teams was never huge like it could be without a salary cap.

Do you not pay attention to Baseball, what 2 teams are always competing for a World Series Championship. The yankees and the red sox, why because they have the two highest payrolls. Sure everynow and then a team comes along with an average payroll and competes. Then in free agency they lose there good players because of no cap and they can't compete with the big market teams.

Lets take hockey without a cap, what teams always made the playoffs,

Detroit, Colorado, Philly, and Toronto.

Why because they had the highest payrolls in the league, sure they didn't always win the cup, but they always made the playoffs leaving small market teams out.

A capless league will kill the great competition the NFL has.

Jimmy James said:
Could you share the source of this knowlege with the rest of us?

Its common knowledge buddy. If you want to pose a specific question, I'd be happy to answer it. Im not going to cite everything.

KTownsDolphins said:
Do you not pay attention to Baseball, what 2 teams are always competing for a World Series Championship. The yankees and the red sox, why because they have the two highest payrolls. Sure everynow and then a team comes along with an average payroll and competes. Then in free agency they lose there good players because of no cap and they can't compete with the big market teams.

Let's examine this bit of wisdom, shall we?

2005 - White Sox
2004 - Red Sox
2003 - Marlins
2002 - Angels
2001 - Diamondbacks
2000 - Yankees
1999 - Yankees
1998 - Yankees
1997 - Marlins
1996 - Yankees

Out of the 10 years there, we have had one of the two teams you identified win 5 of the 10 championships.

Now, let's compare that to the NFL

2005 - Steelers
2004 - Patriots
2003 - Patriots
2002 - Bucs
2001 - Patriots
2000 - Ravens
1999 - Rams
1998 - Broncos
1997 - Broncos
1996 - Packers

As you can see, two teams also won half of the championships in 10 years in the NFL.

I'll also note that the Marlins actually have the second most championships over the past 10 years, not the Red Sox. In fact, it's hard to figure out how the Red Sox figure into all of this.

big0mar said:
Its common knowledge buddy. If you want to pose a specific question, I'd be happy to answer it. Im not going to cite everything.

I asked you a specific question: cite to what you just wrote. I want to know what makes you think all of that will apply in this new era when the union decertifies and antitrust regs apply.

There Is Too Much Instability In The Nfl. Young Players Are Being Forced On The Field Too Early. With No Cap, Players Will Not Be Unrestricted For 6 Years. Coaches Will Be Able To Develop Their Talent. There Were Ten Coaching Changes This Year For Crying Out Loud!!! At The End Of The Day Good Coaching, Management, And Scouting Will Prevail.

There Will Still Be Revenue Sharing!

they definitely need to get something done and keep the cap. But if all else fails, I don't know why all of you are panicing. Ol' Wayne definitely has the finances to become the Steinbrenner of the NFL.

Jimmy James said:
I asked you a specific question: cite to what you just wrote. I want to know what makes you think all of that will apply in this new era when the union decertifies and antitrust regs apply.

everything i wrote is the rule of the NFL with no salary cap regarding free agency and will be in effect in 2007 unless a new CBA is reached. as for what will happen if the union decertifies, im not a psychic. NOTHING I STATED IS SPECULATORY.

Back
Top Bottom