No CBA means bye bye CAP foever | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No CBA means bye bye CAP foever

DreamWeaver said:
The players still will not have "guaranteed" money,

I don't know about that. I think some players will command guarantees in salary.

but they will have a longer wait to hit free agency and smaller bonuses.

Don't listen to this 6 year garbage. The union will decertify, and players will hit FA coming out of college. Their movement will be limited only by the provisions within the contracts they agree on.

Also, they will lose their 401K plans, benefits, and little bonuses like workout $$$.

They are going to lose the benefits of organized labor like 401k and benefits, though I'm sure many will negotiate for comparable perks.

Owners won't be hurt by the balance in the league getting screwed up

Tell that to the owners of the Packers. They're screwed.

As much as its will prob. suck if there is no cap it really is an advantage for the Phins because who doesnt want to play in Miami and on top of that we all know Wayne's pockets aint empty.

There will not be a non salary cap year IMO.
IF the CBA does not get signed by the end of the 2006 season, something will occur to stop the 2007 season. This speculation about football turning into baseball with no cap isn't gonna happen. Even if there is a 2007 uncapped year and it is actually played, there will be no 2008 season until a CBA gets done. I will bet that it has a salary cap when it finally gets done.

One of the major problems that everyone is missing here is the revenue sharing between the owners. The players want more revenue types to be added into revenue sharing pool. Then the say 59% percent they are looking will be a much bigger number. There is still a big difference between what Jerry Jones makes off his NFL team and what the owners of Cardinals or Saints makes. That is one of the big hang ups.

I am sure there is more. Like franchise players. That system is not working like the players thought it would be when it was put in place.

Needless to say that Percentage number isn't what the problem is here. That would have been solved last week and we wouldn't be talking about this. The issue is deciding exactly what revenue to share. Owners can't agree with each other and players can't agree with owners. That is the hold up here as I understand it.

I still do not understand why everyone is against no salary cap?

Parity has significantly reduced the quality of the game. It provides owners and fans with the thought that they can turn it around and win any given year. THIS ISNT GOOD. They dont develop their young talent and it hurts the game. Someone like Kyle Orton should not be starting in the NFL right away, he is being set up for failure. And to think people actually blamed a rookie QB for the failures of a poor offense.

Now look at it this way. If 5 Miami draft picks from 2005 and 2006 turn out to be pro-bowlers, would we be able to afford to keep them all? Of course not. So theoretically, we would be punished for drafting/developing talent very well. Wouldnt it be a shame to see someone like Ronnie go somewhere else because the Dolphins couldn't fit him under the cap. My point is that with a salary cap, it is almost impossible to keep a team nucleus for enough time to develop it.

I understand nobody wants a league of Haves and Have Nots. I live in DC and hate the Skins with a passion. But i know no matter how much money they spend they will never be successful unless they have good management. Thats what I'm hoping for, that at the end of the day, good management will reign supreme.

big0mar said:
I still do not understand why everyone is against no salary cap?

Parity has significantly reduced the quality of the game. It provides owners and fans with the thought that they can turn it around and win any given year. THIS ISNT GOOD. They dont develop their young talent and it hurts the game. Someone like Kyle Orton should not be starting in the NFL right away, he is being set up for failure. And to think people actually blamed a rookie QB for the failures of a poor offense.

Now look at it this way. If 5 Miami draft picks from 2005 and 2006 turn out to be pro-bowlers, would we be able to afford to keep them all? Of course not. So theoretically, we would be punished for drafting/developing talent very well. Wouldnt it be a shame to see someone like Ronnie go somewhere else because the Dolphins couldn't fit him under the cap. My point is that with a salary cap, it is almost impossible to keep a team nucleus for enough time to develop it.

I understand nobody wants a league of Haves and Have Nots. I live in DC and hate the Skins with a passion. But i know no matter how much money they spend they will never be successful unless they have good management. Thats what I'm hoping for, that at the end of the day, good management will reign supreme.

Wow you have a lot to be told and filled in on here

1- Without a cap after 08 there will be no draft, and teams wont even have a chance to manage young talent because they wont have any, as for Orton yeah he didnt play great but he still led a team to the playoffs that isnt failure

2- If five 05 draft picks become pro bowlers yes we COULD afford to keep them you just have to balance their salaries correctly, hence why #1 draft picks stay on the same team a long time unless they bust

3- Every team needs a chance, it makes the game more fun to watch, would you seriously feel good beating your divison rival if you bought the victory? Some teams just wont be able to compete at all due to a poor market

4- The salary cap is good for the game all around, there is not 1 valid point ANYONE can make against it

Alex22 said:
Wow you have a lot to be told and filled in on here

1- Without a cap after 08 there will be no draft, and teams wont even have a chance to manage young talent because they wont have any, as for Orton yeah he didnt play great but he still led a team to the playoffs that isnt failure

2- If five 05 draft picks become pro bowlers yes we COULD afford to keep them you just have to balance their salaries correctly, hence why #1 draft picks stay on the same team a long time unless they bust

3- Every team needs a chance, it makes the game more fun to watch, would you seriously feel good beating your divison rival if you bought the victory? Some teams just wont be able to compete at all due to a poor market

4- The salary cap is good for the game all around, there is not 1 valid point ANYONE can make against it

1- There will be no draft in 08 if the CBA isnt extended. Im in favor of extending the CBA, without a salary cap though.

2- Look at the Colts. Theyre going to get rid of Edgerrin James and its a shame. It happens all the time in the NFL, teams cutting guys because they simply cant stay under the cap. I think its bad for the game.

3- Every team has a chance. THere can still be revenue sharing. and under the provisions in the 2007 uncapped season, there are mechanisms that will not allow teams to simply buy championships. And even if some teams spend a lot of money it would not guarantee anything. The Cubs spend a lot, they dont win. The Red Sox didnt win until they got a great GM. The As and Twins are always good in some of the smallest markets. GOOD MANAGEMENT WILL PREVAIL.

4- Actually Chris Mortenson has been on TV/Radio the past two days saying how no cap will benefit the sport.

People complain about wanting to have a level playing field. All a salary cap does is level the playing field between mis-managed and well-managed teams.

Oh NO:boohoo: I know what I will do If that happens I will run away. j/p

big0mar said:
NO SALARY CAP IS A GOOD THING!!!

It will just emphasize the need for good management.

Before the salary cap, the Steelers were one of the most successful franchises in one of the smallest markets.

You arent going to see teams throwing money around, because the free agent pool will be much smaller.

You wont see teams going from worst to first and back to worst in a couple of years (i.e. St. Louis Rams). It will take a number of years to build a quality team.

There is TOO MUCH parity in the NFL today. That is why you see so many rookies and young players being relied upon.

Bottomline, the quality of the NFL will improve without a salary cap.

:barf: Amazing, simply amazing you could say all that. This post is wrong on pretty much each and every sentance. Currently I wont waste the time but if you wish me to discuss it to you I would be happy to.

Mr Dolfan said:
:barf: Amazing, simply amazing you could say all that. This post is wrong on pretty much each and every sentance. Currently I wont waste the time but if you wish me to discuss it to you I would be happy to.

all these teams are winning one year, losing the next. the consistency of the NFL is non-existent. Tampa Bay, Baltimore, St. Louis are all examples. Why are so many young QBs expected to win so quickly? Players arent being given time to develop and its showing on the field.
People want to protect the 'smaller market' teams, but from what? If the NFL continues its revenue sharing, teams like Arizona will still be able to pay players (Arizona by the way made $170mil last year). However, teams that have been continually mismanaged do not deserve to win.
As soon as a team becomes successful, it seems like two years later they are cutting their nucleus. You can see it happening right now with the Patriots. The Patriots have been the model franchise in the NFL over the past 5 years, yet their team is a shell of what it was.

Wouldnt you like to see the Dolphins and Patriots battle year in and year out for the AFC East title? There are no rivalries left in the NFL, and its because of parity. Its tearing down the good teams and bubbling up mediocre ones.

nopony said:
What? The NBA has a sweet player's deal. As does baseball.

The NFL is the only one that doesn't.

If you think that people will put the same enthusiasm into the NFL with scrubs then I guess I just disagree. I won't be back until I'm watching Zach Thomas, et al. I have no interest in watching arena football players.

NBA players lost their battle vs the owners
NHL lost their battle vs the owners
I never mentioned baseball, they are they only ones that have one over on the owners
NFL "beat" the NFLPA ever time they sat down.

And I'll guarantee you this, if the owner decide to CRUSH the players, you WILL be watching again after 1 season, and if you are not watching, I guess you are done with football the rest of your life.

Because players like Bush, Young, Quinn, Ngata, are in high school right now, and when they are old enough to play Pro, they will enter the league under WHATEVER rules the owners decide to create, because they are football players, and still millionaires.
I guarantee every single one of you will be watching again shortly after, the league will be young if it must.

The owners already won, it's a fact, the Union can NEVER win. If the owners decide to crush them, they will crush them, its all about how far the owners are willing to go, if the Union wants to play hardball they will find out within 12 month of a lockout that they can either shut up and play ball, or retire, it's REALLY that simple.

Mr Dolfan said:

And yes, this guy must be a baseball fan
what a sickening idea, no cap, the exact opposite of what basically every sport fan wants.

honestly every sentence was hard to read, I swear. Must be a Yankee fan

Yettyskills said:
And yes, this guy must be a baseball fan
what a sickening idea, no cap, the exact opposite of what basically every sport fan wants.

honestly every sentence was hard to read, I swear. Must be a Yankee fan

Im a freakin marlins fan. if you think that teams that spend the most money win all the championships you are wrong. the teams with the best management are the ones that win. The Yankees spend a lot of money, but they still developed players like tino martinez, paul oneil, bernie williams, derek jeter, etc.

If you think the Redskins and Cowboys will buy the best players, just ask yourself why the Yankees haven't bought themselves a good pitcher lately.

Jimmy James said:
BINGO

Forget about Minnesota, though. The real issue is going to come with Green Bay. They'll probably have just enough talent to compete in the CFL under this scheme.

Minnesota would be worse. In 2005 revenues, Vikes (165 million) are at the bottom with the worst Cardinals (153). GB (189) is in the middle along with the Dolphins (190 million). And the Redskins (287), Pats (236), and Cowboys (231) are at the top.

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-09-02-forbes-revenues_x.htm?csp=N008#chart

NBA players lost their battle vs the owners
NHL lost their battle vs the owners
I never mentioned baseball, they are they only ones that have one over on the owners
NFL "beat" the NFLPA ever time they sat down.

The NHL lost their battle with being a sport, actually.

The NBA has a sweet players deal.

Sorry, but of the big three, the NFL inarguably has a huge advatage to the owners.

And I'll guarantee you this, if the owner decide to CRUSH the players, you WILL be watching again after 1 season, and if you are not watching, I guess you are done with football the rest of your life.

Give me a break. You don't even know my name and you're "guaranteeing"?

Lame.

Because players like Bush, Young, Quinn, Ngata, are in high school right now, and when they are old enough to play Pro, they will enter the league under WHATEVER rules the owners decide to create, because they are football players, and still millionaires.
I guarantee every single one of you will be watching again shortly after, the league will be young if it must.

:shakeno:

Dude, we don't have to speculate... we've seen it.

Again with the "guaranteeing"... yeah, worked that way for baseball, didn't it?

The owners already won, it's a fact, the Union can NEVER win. If the owners decide to crush them, they will crush them, its all about how far the owners are willing to go, if the Union wants to play hardball they will find out within 12 month of a lockout that they can either shut up and play ball, or retire, it's REALLY that simple.

:sidelol:

My god, you are funny.

Back
Top Bottom