No Fun League | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No Fun League

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG

No, these athletes go out and risk injury for far more money than I'll ever see. I don't slam the papers down when I successfully complete a commercial insurance underwriting project? This is their job, they need to handle themselves like professionals.

I can't stand it when any player dances or tries to show up the other team for doing their job they're paid to do. The celebration comes from winning the game as a team, not by trying to draw attention to yourself for doing the job you're presented with doing.

Don't like the rules? Get a real job. I could always use a good fax guy to retrieve my faxes for me for $8.00 an hour. Think they'd slam them on my desk after doing a good job?

Classless. Plain and simple.

I agree with you, althought the Carr\ McKinney fine is a little much I think these premeditated celebrations with sharpies and cell phones is a little much. These guys wanna have fun then they can go to the Bahama's or somewhere and have fun with their million $.

I watched a few interviews with some of these players that say they are bringing fun and entertainment to the game and that's what fans wanna see. No I wanna see the touchdown, that's why I'm watching the game, not to see some guy dance or call his mommy and say "look at me ain't I pretty dancing around the field"
I don't care if they high five, slap each other on the helmet or do a chest bump or headbutt, but come on already, kick the extra point for Christ sakes. Nobody is telling them to be a robot or un emotional about the TD just keep it about the game and the team not the individual who scored it. Seriously are these guys men or little girls putting on a show for us?

People who promote this can call the NFL the "no fun league" all they want, it's just away for them to justify they imature actions of an over paid athlete who feels he dosen't get enough attention as it is.

No way man. These guys put their bodies on the line week in and week out. They deserve the right to celebrate. The guys want to have fun, and celebrating is a fun ritual. How uninteresting and boring would it be for them to hand the ball to the ref after scoring. They are athletes who are playing an emotional game, pumped up by 60,000+ fans. They deserve every right to celebrate.

Agreed. If your the defence and dont want them to shove it in your face that they scored....then dont let them in the endzone. Plain and simple. I liked the team dances like the Dirty Bird for Atlanta or the Bobb-and-Weave the '99 Rams had.

I tihnk they should be able to celebrate to an extent. Bring a cell phone? NO!

But if it's a big td in the game, and your emotions are flowing, do a little celebration, and when I say little celebration I mean 5-10 seconds. I play baseball, football, basketball and lax, i use the same celebration for all of them if I score a big run or td, or what have you....... the Jordan Fist Pump.... it works whever you take it.

But I am for celebrations, as long as you don't get out of hand. I.E. Terrel Owens against the cowboys, spiking the ball at the 50 on the dallas logo... not once... but twice.

However that was entertaining to watch lol.

Originally posted by Prime Time
They deserve the right to celebrate. The guys want to have fun, and celebrating is a fun ritual.

Who said they shouldn't celebrate? I said the "premeditated" crap that goes on like the cell phone and sharpie.

Originally posted by Prime Time
How uninteresting and boring would it be for them to hand the ball to the ref after scoring.

Yeah Barry Sander's sure was boring.:rolleyes:
So the game isn't exciting enough for you, you have to see a grown man(men) do a silly dance and pull out a pen or phone? I'm a fan of the game, I don't need to see that stuff.

As a fan watching it's embarrassing to watch, I was explaining the reason why I love the game to a freind of mine as we watched ESPN highlights, (he is more into other sports), well just as I was making my point in the arguement we were having, they started to show Owens sharpie celebration, he looked at me and said "What the F^ck is this, the WWF?"
:o

I think a fist pump is in now way a celebration. That's totally fine to pump your fist when you're excited.

Showing up another team is not what any sport is all about.

It's clear we have two types. Thos that like to see class, and those that like to see no class.

My biggest problem with the celebrations is that when they get in there, they act like it's something they weren't supposed to do when it was something relatively easy... It's their job to carry or catch the ball, right? I don't see offensive lineman dancing when they clear the way for a runner to score, or a kicker doing goofy dances every time he kicks an extra point (in other words, doing what they're expected to do). I get it if you made a 95 yard punt return or something unusual. But for running the ball in from the 2? Fine, spike the ball if you have to, and get off the field. You didn't do anything that my grandma couldn't have done if she got good enough blocks.

Also, be aware of the game. Duckett dancing a couple of weeks ago when they were down 31-7? Sad.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
I think celebrations are classless and totally intentionally degrade your opponent.

Back to your son scenario, are you not going to teach him sportsmanship and the valuing of respecting your opponent?

I think anyone who doesn't just hand the ball to the official is a jerk.

Very much agree. Also, they are businessmen. Making millions of dollars to play a game, least they can do is be professional. Sure, dance around, lay on the floor and boogie, but why draw attention to yourself? That's immature, unprofessional, unsportmanslike, selfish and idiotic.

The game is fun, you don't need to hide a cell phone and call your broker after doing your job in front of millions to 'have fun'. I'd have fun playing the game, the millions paid for doing it would be a bonus. I wouldn't need to embarrass my teammates, family, friends, fans and the organization to 'have fun'.

Originally posted by Center
My biggest problem with the celebrations is that when they get in there, they act like it's something they weren't supposed to do when it was something relatively easy... It's their job to carry or catch the ball, right? I don't see offensive lineman dancing when they clear the way for a runner to score, or a kicker doing goofy dances every time he kicks an extra point (in other words, doing what they're expected to do). I get it if you made a 95 yard punt return or something unusual. But for running the ball in from the 2? Fine, spike the ball if you have to, and get off the field. You didn't do anything that my grandma couldn't have done if she got good enough blocks.

Also, be aware of the game. Duckett dancing a couple of weeks ago when they were down 31-7? Sad.

Your right, if it's something unusual celebrate. he thing TJ did was disguisting to watch, a meaningless td and you celebrate? There is a huuuuuge problem with that.

The players are humans, not robots. I pay to see excitement and when CC or RW scores I want them to celebrate. It pumps them up and it pumps me up. I agree what Joe Horn did was too far and not very funny. What TO did was degrading to Blades, who is a UM graduate BTW. But if every player after every score just handed the ball back to the ref that would be bland and boring.

Originally posted by Unconquered
But if every player after every score just handed the ball back to the ref that would be bland and boring.

Barry Sanders did exactly that after every touchdown and I can never remember watching him to be bland or boring.

I know sports is "entertainment", but to me the entertainment is in the play itself, not the dancing. I just don't get it. So you did your job. Get on with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Center

Barry Sanders did exactly that after every touchdown and I can never remember watching him to be bland or boring.

I know sports is "entertainment", but to me the entertainment is in the play itself, not the dancing. I just don't get it. So you did your job. Get on with it.

Barry was an exciting player no doubt. But why did he leave the game early? He no longer enjoyed it from what I understand. I want to see players that love the game and still have fire and passion.

A lot of them do, and don't act like ninnies when they do it. I mean, do you really believe that Marvin Harrison has no fire or passion just because he isn't demonstrative when he scores?

To me, it's all "Look at me!". And when you just ran the ball in from the three, unless it won the game, get on with it.

I enjoy players like Terrell Owens in the context of the play. Outside of it, they're just annoying.

And as for why Barry left the game...well, he was tired of losing. Had nothing to do with dancing in the end zone.

Here's the real rub with choreographed celebrations......T.O. and Joe Horn don't score the TD unless the other 10 guys do their job right and the coach calls the right play. So unless you're going to trot the whole damn team into the celebration dance, just whoop and yell, spike the ball if you want to....but have some class, remember the other guys who made it possible for you and act like you've been there before.
Someone once asked Lou Holtz about the possibility of one of his players taking his helmet off after a TD and Holtz said sure, as long as he takes his hat off after he fumbles the ball too..............one of the reasons i always liked Holtz

Originally posted by MoFinz
Here's the real rub with choreographed celebrations......T.O. and Joe Horn don't score the TD unless the other 10 guys do their job right and the coach calls the right play.

Which is why I have no problem if a running back hugs his linemen or gives the QB a high five. Somebody blocked for them, someone threw the ball in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom