Norv to the Raiders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Norv to the Raiders?

Originally posted by relive1972

First, Gruden was the HC of the Raiders, he went to be HC of the Bucs. Al Davis wanted compensation from the Bucs to have Gruden and they gave it to him. Norv is the OC of the Miami Dolphins. He is free to go to any team that wants him as a HC without any compensation given to Miami. That is because it's a move up the ladder for him. Miami could in turn sign any teams' Qb coach, WR coach, or OL coach to be their next OC, if that's the route they want to take, without having to give up compensation. They could also hire any teams' OC and name him Asst. Head Coach as well as make him the new OC, as long as he doesn't already hold that title from the departing team.

Secondly, since the Gruden to Tampa deal, the NFL has nixed trading for head coaches.

That's never been spelled out as it's debatable that Asst HC is a step up from OC. I doubt the Pats would let aweis leave for anything less than a HC job.

There is no compensation for a guy who takes a higher position and the team allows him to go. The Raiders got compensation b/c Gruden was under contract and it was a lateral move - they didn't have to let him go.

The Pats a) are not going to let us even talk to Weis or Crennel; and b) why would either of them want to make a lateral move to this team when they have a clear SB contender?

Sometimes, and I'm guilty as well, we Dolfans act as though coaching for Miami is the only place on the planet! Unless you have some prior, altruistic allegiance to the team, there's no way you leave a better organization for one that has not been as successful - when it's virtually the same position.

Getting a new OC would also slow things down. One of the problems (Not the only, just one) with the Dolphins has been a lack of continuity in Offensive Coordination over the last several years.

It's a lot easier to work 2-3 players into a system, when everyone else is on the same page, than to work an entirely new system into a whole offense. So, I hope Turner doesn't go - it would be bad for Miami.

Oakland requested permission Wednesday to speak with Turner about the position, which opened when Bill Callahan was fired at the end of the regular season. The Dolphins are expected to allow Turner to interview for the job, but it's unknown whether he would accept an offer.
from the Sun http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an22,0,3985468.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

that would hurt our O for sure since I am not sure we can have a great 2004 with a new O. This s/not be good

Re: Re: Norv to the Raiders?

Originally posted by Marino1983

I truly doubt that after dealing with Dan Snyder for 3 years that Norv would try a return at h-c with a similar "meddling" owner like big AL !!!!!!!!!!

:shakeno:

Marino1983
i think its a smoke screen, i hope its a smoke screen!:(

Raiders will probably sign him to be their next head Coach. Nobody seems to want the job -/

Originally posted by DolPhadelphia
Raiders will probably sign him to be their next head Coach. Nobody seems to want the job -/
with davis sticking his nose in every day, who would?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom