Not the consensus top pick... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not the consensus top pick...

JahnDho

Active Roster
Reaction score
Here's why Demaryous Thomas is worth the 1.12:
He's big 6'3" 225 lbs
Speed in the 4.4-4.5 range (game speed too)
Can catch, go up for the ball, come back for it, break tackles, run past DBs, solid route runner, and strikes fear in opponents.
I can't highlight enough how much fear he strikes in opponents. Casuing double teams, mismatches, better opportunities for Ginn, Bess and Hartline, and helping Henne tremendously.
He's underrated. He played in a dominate run first offense at GT and his stats suffered because of it. Had he played for Texas, OK, USC or some of these other teams, his stats would be through the roof. Some NFL team will "reach", per the media, and have the next AJ or Fitz. He won't last past round one either. We're not the Oakland Raiders reaching on DHB and getting burnt. (Although I think DHB, with a good QB, could be a heck of a WR) I may have just lost all credibility, but needless, Miami is not Oakland. We have a future stud QB, one of the best o-lines and running games, a solid and young defense, and most importantly great coaches and owner. Demaryous Thomas is going to be the sleeper of the 1st rd. Mark my words, some NFL team who does their homework on this kid will hit a homerun. I just hope Bill pulls the trigger.

He needs to prove that he has 4.4 speed and imo his level of explosion is in question.

If we draft D. Thomas, I'll be nervous. I won't hate the pick, but I definitely won't be cheering. Does he have the potential to justify the pick in the future? Yes. But, I think he has too many question marks to justify it today.

I love the guy , I really do. Just at 12 its way to much of a reach. Not to mention I think we need to go defense at 12. Maybe trade up in the 2nd to get him?

Jim and J, he broke his foot-what's to prove? I think you're putting too much stock in the combine and pro work outs. They're great to get to know players on a personal level and see how they've improved since December, but players don't become NFL caliber athletes over night. Demaryous' might not be a fast twitch wr like Wess Welker, but he won't play the slot. We don't need that. We need a physical WR who can be a difference maker. He has the physical attributes that allow him to catch the ball over defenders. He's a big pressence in the red zone. He can break tackles. He can make people miss. He can BLOCK. How much better will our RBs be when they can get to the outside because of a WRs superior ability to block? How many longer running plays can be credited to a gifted blocking WR? This is a major role our offense lacks and it often goes unnoticed. I know first hand what a difference a solid blocking WR makes. He has the intangibles that make others around him better. That's what we need in a WR. Golden Tate won't do that. Bryant might, but does he have the right character? Maybe, maybe not. Benn could be, but he doesn't strike fear in defenders like Thomas does. I'd love it if Miami traded out of the 1.12 and got Thomas with something like the 1.20 or later, but then they risk someone else drafting him.

First Of All There Was A Question Regarding His Speed And Nothing Has Been Said That I Have Read That He Has 4.4 Speed. Infact That Was The Worry With Him And The Fact He Is Coming Off An Injury Scares Me Further. I Like The Guy But He Is Still A ? In My Book

He has to many questions at 12 to pick him, I would be mad..
And good route runner? That is almost laughable, I saw him run like 5 routes consistantly. And his seperation is questionable from what I have seen.
A second round pick for him would be great, but of we are drafting a wideout at 12 it better be Dez.

I haven't seen anything formal to the NFL's standards regarding a 40 time, but there are whispers and rumors of low 4.4's.

I dont want him with that but we can trade up in the 2nd and give someone a 6th, 7th and player to get him

He has to many questions at 12 to pick him, I would be mad..

Which is why I titled this "not the concensus top pick"

Would you be more mad if NE picked Thomas and he stepped right in as the #1 WR when Moss left in 2011? I'd be pissed...

Belichick would look like a genious again, while Miami will be asking themselves why they didn't take him with the 1.12.

I'd be pissed off and surprised if we took any WR with our first pick considering our needs on defense and our already very young WR corp.

And if the Patriots took him in the 1st I'd be stunned.

he is a very physical triple option offense receiver which that means he blocks for his rbs but it also means he has never run a wr tree his routes are fly's 7's and comebacks thats about it does he know how to set up a db with crisp route running and double moves that is going to be what puts him in the middle of round 1 instead of late 1 or into the 2nd

Which is why I titled this "not the concensus top pick"

Would you be more mad if NE picked Thomas and he stepped right in as the #1 WR when Moss left in 2011? I'd be pissed...

Belichick would look like a genious again, while Miami will be asking themselves why they didn't take him with the 1.12.

Going to NE he will be under Randy Moss' wing, coming here he is around some over achievers. He isn't the fit here, not with the value at our picks.

tell it to Bill Parcells/Ireland. otherwise, its a pipedream.

I'd be pissed off and surprised if we took any WR with our first pick considering our needs on defense and our already very young WR corp.

And if the Patriots took him in the 1st I'd be stunned.

Yeah, same here but I wouldnt mind Dez Bryant. Just do not think this regime is going there. And I do not think he will fall to #12. I hope someone else takes him.

Now if we had a PB type TE, that would start to heat things up. We really need a TE for the future.

Back
Top Bottom