Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com

TXFinFan

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Josh (Naples, Fl): Mel, If the Fins get a veteran RB prior to the draft - what do they do with the pick?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) They could use help at a variety of places. I'm I'm them, why do you want a veteran when the 3 best players in this draft are RBs? Why not get a stud guy in the draft? Why get a journeyman? The best players in this draft are RBs.

Daniel (Athens, Ga): Is there any chance the RBs will slide way below where everyone thinks they should go like last year?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:23 PM ET ) I doubt it. They are too good to pass up. In a draft that doesn't have a lot of ''elite'' players, these are the guys. A lot of teams are desperate for a big time RB, I don't see how any of those 3 fall past 8.

Chuck (Athens, GA): If the Colts trade Edge, what back in this draft would fit into their system? Might they move up to draft one of the big 3(Brown, Cadillac, or Benson)?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:03 PM ET ) I think there are some ideal guys in the middle rounds.. guys with a ton of ability. Guys like Noah Herron from NW, Ryan Grant from ND, Ryan Moats for La. Tech, Eric Shelton from Louisville. Historically good backs drop and I think that will be the case again.

Mike (Fresno): Is it possible that the 49ers could take Braylon Edwards with the #1 pick?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:11 PM ET ) They could. He's one of 5-6 players that you could argue deserve to be No. 1. But if I'm them I'm looking at Smith or Rodgers at QB. Or if they got bowled over by a great offer, then they move down. But they have to take the best player on their boad. I have Ronnie Brown at the top myself. But if they like Braylon No. 1, it would be hard to question it.

Phil (Auburn): Does the fact that Ronnie Brown played sparingly in college cause you to be encouraged with his long-term potential (less physical stress on his body over four years than the other two of the big 3), or does it cause concern as to his ability to survive 25-30 carries a game in the NFL? Or is it not an issue at all?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:18 PM ET ) If you like Brown, you argue the positive. If you want to push him down, you argue the negative. You could win either side of that debate. He was never the main guy except when Cadillac was injured. I'm more inclined to say I'm high on him because he is an all around guy and when given the chance, he came through. If you want to argue both sides, you can. But he's my top player. You are splitting hairs between Brown, Cadillac and Cedric Benson. They are all greatly talented backs.

Jesse (Redding, CA): Nugent of Ohio State is the best kicker in the draft, but what would be too early for the Vikings to draft him?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:27 PM ET ) The earliest I would consider is second round. Nugent is a solid second round choice. Any team that needs a kicker, the second round isn't too early.

Jimmy(Baghdad,Iraq): How did Pac Man Jones do in his workout did he surpass Rolle from Miami?or is my man Rolle still the best CB?

clear.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:38 PM ET ) Pac Man Jones is the No. 1 CB. Carlos Rogers is No. 2 .. Rolle, Marlin Jackson or Fabian Washington will be No. 3. Washington, I'm not as high on as some. It's a battle for No. 3 but Pac Man is definitely the No. 1 CB.

im not a big kiper fan but he said the exact same thing ive been saying here for a wihle

They could use help at a variety of places. I'm I'm them, why do you want a veteran when the 3 best players in this draft are RBs? Why not get a stud guy in the draft? Whey get a journeyman? The best players in this draft are RBs.

this is the stongest RB draft in a while, we can get the top of that litter, why pass it up to get a so called top QB from a weeaaak QB class?

arsenal said:
im not a big kiper fan but he said the exact same thing ive been saying here for a wihle

They could use help at a variety of places. I'm I'm them, why do you want a veteran when the 3 best players in this draft are RBs? Why not get a stud guy in the draft? Whey get a journeyman? The best players in this draft are RBs.

this is the stongest RB draft in a while, we can get the top of that litter, why pass it up to get a so called top QB from a weeaaak QB class?

I'm starting to agree. If ALL we get out of this draft is a starting RB for the next 8 - 10 years, I'll be very grateful. (Although it would be nice to get a starting Safety too! :wink: )

Good stuff...and I agree with him that we should be looking at a RB at #2.

And a kicker in the 2nd? Wow!

arsenal said:

That argument makes no sense to me, I don't care how strong the entire class is, I care about how good the top two guys are.

If the runningback class is so deep then you take the runner later in the draft, and you draft the player from the position thats not as deep early.

This runningback class is so deep a team picking in the third round may get a back as good as the guy your taking at #2 when its all said and done, is that a value?

Brown is the man!!!! I mean come on 235 pounds and runs a 4.4, are you kidding me!!!! Get him @ #2 and SHUT THE HELL UP WITH ALL THE BENSON TALK!!!!!!:fire:

RB at #2 makes total sense. besides, we don't even have another RB on our roster signed for after this coming season. so, if we are going to sign someone long-term, let him be young and be from the draft.

Historically good backs drop and I think that will be the case again.

One of the big three will drop. Personally, I like Ryan Moats in the 4th-5th.

BlueFin said:
That argument makes no sense to me, I don't care how strong the entire class is, I care about how good the top two guys are.

If the runningback class is so deep then you take the runner later in the draft, and you draft the player from the position thats not as deep early.

This runningback class is so deep a team picking in the third round may get a back as good as the guy your taking at #2 when its all said and done, is that a value?

im talking about at the top of the class also... there hasn't been a RB class with 3 guys rated this high since, **** i dont even know... usually RBs aren't up this high in a draft especially 3 of them, but these guys are so talented it would be dumb to pass on them... yeah you can get good guys in the later rounds, but who would you rather have? an edge for 10 years or an antoine smith for 10 years?

and with the QBs i think its a better chance that one of these 2nd 3rd round guys end up just as good if not better than rodgers and smith... the top is weak the depth is weak its just an overall weak QB class

BlueFin said:

Not if the elite backs are greater than the elite qbs in the draft with factoring in the qb is teh position of greater need. If BPA is rb, then take RB.

Just because a position is weak does not mean there is a lack of top caliber players at those positions. The drop from Rodgers and Smith to the third best QB is significant. As well, these two would be in the top 10 in any draft. Given that, wouldn't it make more sense to get a QB at the top and then get a sliding RB later? Like many of you state, this is after all a strong RB class.

Back
Top Bottom