Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com

Boomer what is your take on the CB's. Do you see Jackson from Michigan as a first rounder?

this is the stongest RB draft in a while, we can get the top of that litter, why pass it up to get a so called top QB from a weeaaak QB class?

you contradict yourself and prove me right

since this is one of the strongest RB classes it would be smart to take a WR with the #2 and use the second rounder from surtain for a RB or our third for a RB because this draft is deep on RB's!!!

point across=CASE CLOSED

rickeyrunsover said:
Not if the elite backs are greater than the elite qbs in the draft with factoring in the qb is teh position of greater need. If BPA is rb, then take RB.

You always have to factor the BPA but there are just as many questions regarding the top three backs than there are for the top two QBs. They are all comparable caliber prospects. To that extent, you can add the top two WRs. IMO, those are the top six players. After that, you have to factor the value of the position...where QB is the most valuable position, RB is one of the least valuable positions.

thepoolboy said:
You always have to factor the BPA but there are just as many questions regarding the top three backs than there are for the top two QBs. They are all comparable caliber prospects. To that extent, you can add the top two WRs. IMO, those are the top six players. After that, you have to factor the value of the position...where QB is the most valuable position, RB is one of the least valuable positions.

The only debate I have seen is who is better of the three. They are considered teh elite of this draft. It is equivalent of getting an LT vs a Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson is good and has shown he has the skills, but he isnt LT. I wouldnt mind having Larry Johnson but would love LT.

stoody24 said:

since this is one of the strongest RB classes it would be smart to take a WR with the #2 and use the second rounder from surtain for a RB or our third for a RB because this draft is deep on RB's!!!

point across=CASE CLOSED

You cannot logically reason with these posters bent on getting a RB. You're logic is sound and I assume that is how it will play out on draft day.

To that extent...how many teams truly are in need of a premier RB? The only teams I see are Miami, San Fran, Arizona, Tampa Bay and Chicago. That's not a very long list.

stoody24 said:

point across=CASE CLOSED

:roflmao: :roflmao: Ooookkkkk!

thepoolboy said:
You cannot logically reason with these posters bent on getting a RB. You're logic is sound and I assume that is how it will play out on draft day.

To that extent...how many teams truly are in need of a premier RB? The only teams I see are Miami, San Fran, Arizona, Tampa Bay and Chicago. That's not a very long list.

And reasoning with you is easier. What makes you more qualified to judge?

time to get overyourself. I hate the selfrighteous posters who think they are somehow more objective cause the agree with their own position.

stoody24 said:

point across=CASE CLOSED

We DO NOT have a 2nd round pick. Surtain is still a Dolphin. DO NOT count on the Dolphins having a 2nd round pick this year. The talent dropoff between the top 3 RB's and the rest is pretty significant. Kiper says that Ronnie Brown is the best player in the draft, if Saban concurs, we will pick Ronnie Brown at #2. There are plenty of good WR's that will be available in the 3rd round too.

I have seen no expert actually rate Edwards higher than Brown after the combine. I am sorry but there is a diff between teh LT's and teh Thomas Jones'

rickeyrunsover said:
The only debate I have seen is who is better of the three. They are considered teh elite of this draft. It is equivalent of getting an LT vs a Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson is good and has shown he has the skills, but he isnt LT. I wouldnt mind having Larry Johnson but would love LT.

Not one of these guys projects to be as good as LT - that's not to say one of them won't. But I see just as many people ranking one or both the QBs ahead of the RBs.

Talking about the elite of the draft - I see more and more people proclaiming Braylon Edwards as the top player.

BlueFin said:
That argument makes no sense to me, I don't care how strong the entire class is, I care about how good the top two guys are.

If the runningback class is so deep then you take the runner later in the draft, and you draft the player from the position thats not as deep early.

This runningback class is so deep a team picking in the third round may get a back as good as the guy your taking at #2 when its all said and done, is that a value?

Because they might be all gone by then. Remember how 'deep' the WR draft was last year? They went hard and fast off the boards. This is the best RB draft since probably Ricky and Edgerrin. Take your chance to get a hall of famer instead of taking a chance on getting someone who 'might' be starter quality.

thepoolboy said:

Cleveland (Suggs is always hurt), Colts, Eagles (backs always hurt), Vikings want a power back ala Benson type, Falcons (Dunn is getting up in age, Duckett is a short yardage guy),Panthers (Both RB's coming off injurys), Seahawks.

Note: Seahawks and Colts got to know time is growing short with James and Alexander, and therefore need a back to groom!

thepoolboy said:
Not one of these guys projects to be as good as LT - that's not to say one of them won't. But I see just as many people ranking one or both the QBs ahead of the RBs.

Talking about the elite of the draft - I see more and more people proclaiming Braylon Edwards as the top player.

I havent seen one reputable source say Rodgers or Smith are higher than Brown. Kiper and Scouts both say there are no franchise qbs in this draft. GBN same. I agree with Braylon is great and could be #1. After the combine, Browns stock soared. He is graded LT high. He may not be LT in the end, but he will be on that level based on what he grades. I would not be upset with either Brown, Rodgers or Edwards.

I just feel BPA is Brown, Edwards is close, but factor in need after that RB is a bigger need. Rodgers falling past #1, throws a wrench in it IMO.

rickeyrunsover said:
And reasoning with you is easier. What makes you more qualified to judge?

time to get overyourself. I hate the selfrighteous posters who think they are somehow more objective cause the agree with their own position.

No - you obviously missed the point. Some of us base our opinions on facts.

Fact: No RB has gone in the top 3 in any draft since 1996.
Fact: Eleven QBs have gone at those positions over that span.
Fact: RB is one of the most devalued positions in the draft/league.
Cae in point: Would two all-pro QBs be available now for less than a 1st?
Fact: The average shelf life of RB is far less than a QB.
Fact: The RB is far too risky to commit a high cap number to (risk for injury).
Fact: Enforcement of the 5 yard rule has put greater value on the passing game.

All I ever hear from those who want a RB is the fact we need one. No sh*t we need one but tell me this...is any RB in this draft going to outperform Ricky from 2002? Not likely. Guess what? We missed the playoffs that year. So much for the need of a great RB.

thepoolboy said:
No - you obviously missed the point. Some of us base our opinions on facts.

Fact: No RB has gone in the top 3 in any draft since 1996.
Fact: Eleven QBs have gone at those positions over that span.
Fact: RB is one of the most devalued positions in the draft/league.
Cae in point: Would two all-pro QBs be available now for less than a 1st?
Fact: The average shelf life of RB is far less than a QB.
Fact: The RB is far too risky to commit a high cap number to (risk for injury).
Fact: Enforcement of the 5 yard rule has put greater value on the passing game.

All I ever hear from those who want a RB is the fact we need one. No sh*t we need one but tell me this...is any RB in this draft going to outperform Ricky from 2002? Not likely. Guess what? We missed the playoffs that year. So much for the need of a great RB.

WHere are the facts? You showed me teh past, how does that PROVE the future? LT went # 5, Ricky 6th. That is in teh qb class of 99. Which was considered a strong draft. This is considered a weak draft at the top. An elite back moving up 3 spost is not astronomical in a weak draft.

Back
Top Bottom