Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com

stoody24 said:
you contradict yourself and prove me right

since this is one of the strongest RB classes it would be smart to take a WR with the #2 and use the second rounder from surtain for a RB or our third for a RB because this draft is deep on RB's!!!

point across=CASE CLOSED

umm i didn't say deepest did i? didn't i say strongest? is there a difference? id think so...

whether or not this draft is deep isn't what im saying, its got ELITE RBs in it... i dont care about the 4th and 5th round backs... im talking about the strong guys the elite guys and its got 3 top 10 picks, thats a strong *** RB class even if there were no other good running backs available...

and when i say weak QB class im not even meaning depth again, just general skill level from the tpo all the way down to the bottom...

think of it like this... if your doing a fantasy draft and lets just pretend QB was most important (i know its not in fantasy football but bear with me) so your up to pick and your choices are:

LT
Shaun Alexander
Priest Holmes
matt hasselback
joey harrington

who would you pick? me personally id take LT, i know QB is important, but im not gonna pass on a chance to have the BEST possible RB just cause i have to settle for a QB...

blah this arguement will be done to death and some people just wont get it...

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Cleveland (Suggs is always hurt), Colts, Eagles (backs always hurt), Vikings want a power back ala Benson type, Falcons (Dunn is getting up in age, Duckett is a short yardage guy),Panthers (Both RB's coming off injurys), Seahawks.

Note: Seahawks and Colts got to know time is growing short with James and Alexander, and therefore need a back to groom!

Talking about these guys being hurt exemplifies one reason why RBs are devalued. To that end, the Colts and Seahawks do not need RBs. They have all-pros locked in via the salary cap. The Vikings are three deep on their RB depth chart. There is no way the Falcons need a RB. The Panthers have had injuries but Goings performed very well - with Foster and Davis coming back, they'll be fine. The Eagles are committed to Westbrook and to a lesser extent, Buckhalter. Besides, Reid desires to pass 60% of the time. Lee Suggs is the best player on the Browns.

None of these teams need a RB.

thepoolboy said:
No - you obviously missed the point. Some of us base our opinions on facts.

Fact: No RB has gone in the top 3 in any draft since 1996.

no running back has been rated that high either... so doesn't that show you how good these backs must be, and how high they must be thought of when they could be 3 of them going in the top 8 picks????

doesn't that tell you something, maybe backs shouldn't be picked that high, but when some good ones, some special running backs come along that everyone agrees should go that high and are worth it, dont pass up on them just to settle for a QB... no way, take that guy, take that franchise guy and dont worry about that position for the next 6 years...

Cobra said:
Gosh Im praying the 9ers take a QB!!!

The 49ers pick won't matter all that much because I don't see them taking an RB first pick. Even if they do, we will still be left with one of the big 3, and I'm hoping for either Benson or Brown.

thepoolboy your missing the obvious fact that this is a weak draft. Drafting either of the 2 Qb's is much more of a reach then one of the 3 stud RB's. The 3 RB's and Braylon Edwards are really the only guys viable as top 10 picks any other year. If the 2 Qb's were in last years draft they would have been ranked behind Ben/Eli/Rivers.

Taking someone like Ronnie is a mix of BPA and need. You can't go wrong there.

Besides when was the last time a team won the superbowl with a top 3 picked QB? Aikman maybe?

thepoolboy said:
No - you obviously missed the point. Some of us base our opinions on facts.

Fact: No RB has gone in the top 3 in any draft since 1996.
Fact: Eleven QBs have gone at those positions over that span.
Fact: RB is one of the most devalued positions in the draft/league.
Cae in point: Would two all-pro QBs be available now for less than a 1st?
Fact: The average shelf life of RB is far less than a QB.
Fact: The RB is far too risky to commit a high cap number to (risk for injury).
Fact: Enforcement of the 5 yard rule has put greater value on the passing game.

All I ever hear from those who want a RB is the fact we need one. No sh*t we need one but tell me this...is any RB in this draft going to outperform Ricky from 2002? Not likely. Guess what? We missed the playoffs that year. So much for the need of a great RB.

We missed the playoffs in 2002 cause Wanny was an inept coach and Ray Lucas was so horrible at QB. I can't imagine Feely or Frerotte being that bad. We were a winning team in 2002, and Ricky's performance alone allowed the offense to win us games. The fact that you use draft postition to argue for a QB is ridiculous. There have been a goode number of QB busts in recent years (Smith, Couch, Leaf, possibly Harrington) that have been drafted high. Neither of these Qb's are a Peyton Manning, so why reach? RB is such a huge need and these guys all have the potential to be great.

If Miami doesn't take any of the big three they might as well just keep Gordon. That is what waiting means. It is either taking a potential at an elite back or taking another Lamar Gordon.

arsenal said:
im talking about at the top of the class also... there hasn't been a RB class with 3 guys rated this high since, **** i dont even know... usually RBs aren't up this high in a draft especially 3 of them, but these guys are so talented it would be dumb to pass on them... yeah you can get good guys in the later rounds, but who would you rather have? an edge for 10 years or an antoine smith for 10 years?

and with the QBs i think its a better chance that one of these 2nd 3rd round guys end up just as good if not better than rodgers and smith... the top is weak the depth is weak its just an overall weak QB class
A TERRELL DAVIS ....

VanDolPhan said:
thepoolboy your missing the obvious fact that this is a weak draft. Drafting either of the 2 Qb's is much more of a reach then one of the 3 stud RB's. The 3 RB's and Braylon Edwards are really the only guys viable as top 10 picks any other year. If the 2 Qb's were in last years draft they would have been ranked behind Ben/Eli/Rivers.

Taking someone like Ronnie is a mix of BPA and need. You can't go wrong there.

Besides when was the last time a team won the superbowl with a top 3 picked QB? Aikman maybe?

This is not a weak draft at all and the assessment that it is by no means is a fact. The last draft where it was easy to move up was in 1997 - a so called weak draft. The top of that draft has yield better players than most that followed. Pace, Russell (before he became a crackhead), Springs, Boulware, Westbrook (at least he's still in the league), Jones.

I Say We Draft Braylon Edwards... Screw Needs Draft The Most Talented Player In The Draft ...

arsenal said:
no running back has been rated that high either... so doesn't that show you how good these backs must be, and how high they must be thought of when they could be 3 of them going in the top 8 picks???

What are you talking about? In 1999, Ricky Williams was the consensus number one player and in 2001, LT was just behind Vick, as was McAllister.

thepoolboy said:
This is not a weak draft at all and the assessment that it is by no means is a fact. The last draft where it was easy to move up was in 1997 - a so called weak draft. The top of that draft has yield better players than most that followed. Pace, Russell (before he became a crackhead), Springs, Boulware, Westbrook (at least he's still in the league), Jones.

Yes it's considered a weak draft and that's a fact due to all the juniors who rushed out last year and all the ones this year that stayed. There is no consensus #1 and the only people who pegged the QB's at the top is the media and even they admit they aren't franchise potential QB's. There is no real potential at LT as I believe Barron will end up at RT. The only areas considered strong at the top are RB's and WR's.

This is the first year that I can remember in over a decade where the top 5 was in such large doubt.

mike_vee said:
I Say We Draft Braylon Edwards... Screw Needs Draft The Most Talented Player In The Draft ...

We are talking about BPA. Kiper has Ronnie Brown listed as the best player available in this year's draft. In this rare case, BPA happens to coincide with team need.

mike_vee said:

I don't think that Edwards is anywhere close to being the BPA in this draft. This guy isn't Randy Moss, he's just another good reciver. The big three can make a bigger impact than Edwards can at a position that we sorely need.

Back
Top Bottom