Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notes from Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN.com

Sirspud said:
It was a theoretical question about if a developed Smith had the 2002 team except with a below average running game. Sorry if I was unclear, it was not meant to be taken literally.

As for my evaluation of Smith, I have seen him play and listened to the evaluations of experts, who usually are in line with what the teams are thinking. Nothing has shown me that this guy is worth a no. 2 overall pick. Most of the experts admit that the Qb's are overvalued in this draft, so why would we reach when we have a much more pressing need and a fairly good chance of filling that in the draft.

You still haven't answered the question - I don't care what some "expert" says. You said you have seen him. If you recall enough to base your evaluation, then you must recall the game, the game situations, the outcome, the skills (or lack thereof) displayed. Please enlighten me.

Sirspud said:
Feely's stats would have been significantly better this year, as would our record, if we would have had a running game that needed defending. His first half in the Buffalo game was phenomenal, and most people seem to forget that. A modest running game would have kept the Bills from playing pass and getting those picks, several of which were fluke int's and clearly the fault of the reciever. Morris and Minor didn't a have the capability to punish defenses for playing pass and that's part of the reason why we did so poorly in the passing game.

This is the first time I've read that the protection of the football is essentially not the responsibility of the QB.

thepoolboy said:
You still haven't answered the question - I don't care what some "expert" says. You said you have seen him. If you recall enough to base your evaluation, then you must recall the game, the game situations, the outcome, the skills (or lack thereof) displayed. Please enlighten me.

I don't even remember the game, it was a long time ago when a hurricane was coming every week and I had other things to remember. But I'm not the guy who looks at a guy and can tell exactly where he should be picked. That's what the NFL guys are for. I'm saying that based on the many reports I've seen on this guy, he doesn't really have the skills that a QB at the number 2 spot should have. He seems to me to be very similar to Tim Couch, he it seems to me that he is not worth a #2 pick overall in nearly every year.

Sirspud said:
I don't even remember the game, it was a long time ago when a hurricane was coming every week and I had other things to remember. But I'm not the guy who looks at a guy and can tell exactly where he should be picked. That's what the NFL guys are for. I'm saying that based on the many reports I've seen on this guy, he doesn't really have the skills that a QB at the number 2 spot should have. He seems to me to be very similar to Tim Couch, he it seems to me that he is not worth a #2 pick overall in nearly every year.

Now why don't you go to the thread discussing Alex Smith's workout. Nice try though.

thepoolboy said:
This is the first time I've read that the protection of the football is essentially not the responsibility of the QB.

I'm not saying it isn't. Feely certainly failed to do so, which combined with another poor defensive effort cost us the game. I'm juat saying that no running game puts the QB in position to fail and cause turnovers, and something that is difficult for a young passer to overcome. Each time a ball is thrown, there is a chance it is intercepted. Thus, the more you throw the ball, the more the chances of interceptions occuring. When a defense knows the only way you can hurt them is by passing, they sit back and wait for the pass. The percentage of turnovers gets drastically higher. I'm not saying that those interceptions should have been thrown, but when a QB has thrown three td's already and yet is forced to drop back again and again when the team should be running the ball, which protects the ball, gets first downs, and controls the clock. Any young QB would have struggled with last years running game.

arsenal said:
im not a big kiper fan but he said the exact same thing ive been saying here for a wihle

They could use help at a variety of places. I'm I'm them, why do you want a veteran when the 3 best players in this draft are RBs? Why not get a stud guy in the draft? Whey get a journeyman? The best players in this draft are RBs.

this is the stongest RB draft in a while, we can get the top of that litter, why pass it up to get a so called top QB from a weeaaak QB class?

Wow. Benson really does look great on that run on your signature. I've coached RB's for 20 years at the High school level. I've seen some great players over the years, but Benson really stands out with those skills.

Mel changed his tune, he said weeks ago that Benson was the guy over the other two, now its splitting hairs? Ladies, he is just following what most blowhards like us are saying everyday, which means, mel gets no money from me. I dont need to buy his infromation, its no better than joe poopydroors down the road from me.

you really want to know the difference between the three? The one who catches the ball out of the backfield and takes a screen pass to the house is the best of the bunch. Not to mention the guy who Linehan can most use.

rickeyrunsover said:
Not if the elite backs are greater than the elite qbs in the draft with factoring in the qb is teh position of greater need. If BPA is rb, then take RB.

I think the runningbacks are overrated, does this sound like a weak QB prospect to you?

After a flawless workout before about 100 NFL executives, scouts and coaches, it's safe to say former Utah QB Alex Smith can handle pressure. NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt reports from Salt Lake City that Smith's performance earned a standing ovation from the NFL personnel assembled. Smith might have jumped to the top of the draft boards, but Aaron Rodgers will get his turn Thursday(Gil Brandt)

BlueFin said:
I think the runningbacks are overrated, does this sound like a weak QB prospect to you?

Nope sounds like he did good. Then again so did Henson. And with all his hype, and with all the "he really did great today" during his workout , Henson is still a project.

Blue i understand your position, I have not tried to change your opinion, dont try to change mine, you wont. I like Rodgers or Brown. If Saban likes Smith, then I will support him. Smith is a project IMO. Smith may show Saban something that solves that question for Nick, I am not privy to that workout. Smith aint trying to sell me, so I will take Nick Sabans word for it if he drafts him.

thepoolboy said:
You're the one sidestepping - you started talking about a defensive formation and it suddenly turned into a scheme. Being that the two are different, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. NFL defenses base their formation as it relates to the offensive personnel on the field. The scheme is what changes.

Do you honestly think NE uses these silly formations when the offense is lined up in a conventional formation on 1st and 10? You made an erroneous comment regarding nickel and dime formations and have been scrambling ever since.

You know what? You have no place on this board Troll boy. You lie out your azz and puty things in peoples mouth. You lie to proytect an argument you cant support, you try purposely to insight people. I aint falling for it

NE ran THAT defense when we were in our base set.

I never EVER said anything diff than what I said in THAT post, it is you that ran and hid and made accusations because you had no real defense to what I said. Thank you very much for proving my point. You are a clueless, no use poster.

Back
Top Bottom