Now Who Are the 1st Round Targets? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now Who Are the 1st Round Targets?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With the free agent signings and the trade for Daunte Culpepper, the Dolphins enter the draft in much better shape than a few weeks ago. Suddenly, even the secondary has some players in Allen and Hill, but I think that's still an area of need. I would say offensive line and linebacker are big needs as well, unless Miami is able to sign either Peterson or Arrington.

Here are some players who I see as first round targets at #16 or slightly lower if the team trades out of that spot.

Greenway --- workout numbers weren't so hot, but he's a player.
Lawson --- compared to Jason Taylor
Carpenter -- all-around player
Cromartie -- gamble on greatness, I'd personally pass in round 1
Hill -- more like Allen who Miami just signed
Jackson -- intriguing wide receiver
Holmes -- nice compliment to Chambers/Booker
Watson -- big time run stuffing DT
McNeil -- could play LT or RT. The guy Auburn ran behind in short yardage.
Justice -- athletic tackle

There could be others, but I think those are the players Miami will consider if they remain around the #16 area in the first round.

Dont forget Ko Simpson. I think he would be a great addition to our secondary. We could use some help at safety.
Until or if we sign LaVar or peterson, Id say LB, S, or OL. But we still have a few weeks til the draft to see if we sign any more FAs. Good list SF!

If we sign Arrington or Peterson I dont think we will go LB.

Assuming we get one fo those guys it will be the best OL or WR available. There are no DB's worthy of the #16 pick.

playmaker1 said:
Dont forget Ko Simpson. I think he would be a great addition to our secondary. We could use some help at safety.
Until or if we sign LaVar or peterson, Id say LB, S, or OL. But we still have a few weeks til the draft to see if we sign any more FAs. Good list SF!

I always seem to forget that guy. Probably because I've never seen him play so it's hard to form an opinion. Yes, safety is definitely a need. I like Pat Watkins and hope we have a shot at him in the 3rd. I agree LB, DB/S or OL unless something happens w/Peterson or Arrington.

Finfan14 said:
If we sign Arrington or Peterson I dont think we will go LB.

Assuming we get one fo those guys it will be the best OL or WR available. There are no DB's worthy of the #16 pick.

Agree on the DB statement for sure. Hill is a solid player, but a lot like Wil Allen in that he isn't going to make the big plays. Cromartie is a top 10 talent if you discount injuries, but that's a big factor and knocks him down quite a bit. The "X factor" for me is Gabe Watson. To have a young DT like that seems like a move Saban could make.

I dont see us drafting a DT. We used our 5th already on a DT in Manny in the suplimental. We drafted 2 DL last year. Yes the majority of our DL right now is getting old, but we already have quite a few on the roster. We only have a few picks this year, I dont see any DL happening. Way bigger needs.

I think the "X factor" for the Dolphins in the draft would be a WR in the first

My 1st choice is Jackson then McNeil

I'd be happey with either.

playmaker1 said:
I dont see us drafting a DT. We used our 5th already on a DT in Manny in the suplimental. We drafted 2 DL last year. Yes the majority of our DL right now is getting old, but we already have quite a few on the roster. We only have a few picks this year, I dont see any DL happening. Way bigger needs.

I think the "X factor" for the Dolphins in the draft would be a WR in the first

I actually expect Saban to take a true NT somewhere in this draft, but agree there are more pressing needs that will likely be addressed early. Jackson, from Auburn, is a player I like in the middle rounds. He's a little small at about 6-0 306, but is a nice run stuffer. Obviously, Saban wants to run the 3-4 and the only true NT currently on the roster is 37. I don't think Saban views Wright as that type of player.

If Bunkley is there, I hope we take him. The guy is a stud. DL is one of the most important positions on defense and we're old at that spot. DB is not the gaping hole it was now that we've made some FA moves, and none of the CB's excite me except for maybe Cromartie. I think he'll be available later on in the first, so if we go that route I'd like to see us trade back.

Whatever happens, I'll be happy with our pick because I'm pretty confident that the guy making the decision knows more about it than me or anyone else on this board.

MiamiMan147 said:
Whatever happens, I'll be happy with our pick because I'm pretty confident that the guy making the decision knows more about it than me or anyone else on this board.

Totally agree. Saban has made terrific moves so far with Miami, from players he's brought in to the coaching staff that he has added. I trust he'll make the right moves and can't wait to see what they are.

If we dont sign a LB from free agency, we need to get Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State. He is bigger than A.J. Hawk and a great all around lb. Can't go wrong with a LB from Ohio State.

The Dolphins are in the market for an interior linemen. That has been said by the brass again and again, yet we havent gotten any. I would bet Vegas we are getting linemen in this draft.

d-line/ planet theory

broderick bunkley was huge this year. also did you see his combine numbers. 44 reps at 225. manuel wright did like 14 a year ago. bunkley is 306 and ran sub 5.0. if he is there, he is the perfect 3-4 de. no joke. richard seymour type ability.

also, i still want a true nose tackle. i dont see manuel wright as that either. didnt we rank like 17th against the run last year. that's not good. and it came down to poor nose tackle play.

also, nick saban is from the bill parcells/ bill belichick school of tree. and he definitely believes in the planet theory-which is something i havent heard anyone hear mention. that is, there are only so many big, agile men in the world, so if you can get one, dont pass it up. also think about how the pats have been successful, it is with their front 7. they've drafted lots of dline. richard seymour, jarvis green, vince wilfork. parcells drafted 2 big men last year. we've drafted one good one (wright) and one career back up (vickerson), if the opportunity is there, i can see saban taking it.

Back
Top Bottom