Now Who Are the 1st Round Targets? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now Who Are the 1st Round Targets?

Nice list, but chances are if Arrington, Peterson or Boulware are signed we will most likely go DB or OL in the draft.

I agree on Nick Mangold, He is a great center. Really takes control of the line of scrimmage. He will be Daunte's new best friend. He has all pro protential. So if we need linemen, he would be my first pick.

Out of that list, give me Justice. If you give him Houck to bring him along, he could be an anchor of the OL for a decade or more.

Vegas dolfan said:
I agree on Nick Mangold, He is a great center. Really takes control of the line of scrimmage. He will be Daunte's new best friend. He has all pro protential. So if we need linemen, he would be my first pick.

I like Mangold. But #16 is pretty high for him I think. I could see us trading down and maybe looking at him. Id rather see us go DB in the draft, if we sign LaVar or JP

Jimmy James said:
Out of that list, give me Justice. If you give him Houck to bring him along, he could be an anchor of the OL for a decade or more.

Justice would help beef up our line

Probably will be an interior lineman, most notably a RG. If a LB'er is not signed (Arrington) then OLB would be the next choice. Corner looks like it has been solidified, so that leaves the safety position. Possible candidates:

Max Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph for the RG spot. Although I don't believe picking at #16 we should take a guard, moving down in the draft would be an option for those two. A second day pick worth looking at would be Chris Kuper from North Dakota, 6-4 1/2 310lbs

Manny Lawson would be ideal at #16 for OLB. If the Dolphins trade down, someone like Bobby Carpenter. If trading down nets a linemen and brings a second round pick as well, Kamerion Wimbley or Stanley McClover could fit that bill as a 3-4 OLB.

If the Miami stays at #16 and somehow Michael Huff is there, that's our pick. But since more than likely won't be around then, other options include Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson and for later Daniel Bullocks, Pat Watkins or Bernard Pollard.

crowder_rules said:
broderick bunkley was huge this year. also did you see his combine numbers. 44 reps at 225. manuel wright did like 14 a year ago. bunkley is 306 and ran sub 5.0. if he is there, he is the perfect 3-4 de. no joke. richard seymour type ability.

also, i still want a true nose tackle. i dont see manuel wright as that either. didnt we rank like 17th against the run last year. that's not good. and it came down to poor nose tackle play.

also, nick saban is from the bill parcells/ bill belichick school of tree. and he definitely believes in the planet theory-which is something i havent heard anyone hear mention. that is, there are only so many big, agile men in the world, so if you can get one, dont pass it up. also think about how the pats have been successful, it is with their front 7. they've drafted lots of dline. richard seymour, jarvis green, vince wilfork. parcells drafted 2 big men last year. we've drafted one good one (wright) and one career back up (vickerson), if the opportunity is there, i can see saban taking it.

we drafted two DL guys last year, and we used our 5th round pick this year in Manny. I know we need a NT, but I dont see us drafting another D linman. Yes the majority of Dl gys on our roster are getting older, but We have way bigger needs

SF Dolphin Fan said:
With the free agent signings and the trade for Daunte Culpepper, the Dolphins enter the draft in much better shape than a few weeks ago. Suddenly, even the secondary has some players in Allen and Hill, but I think that's still an area of need. I would say offensive line and linebacker are big needs as well, unless Miami is able to sign either Peterson or Arrington.

Here are some players who I see as first round targets at #16 or slightly lower if the team trades out of that spot.

Greenway --- workout numbers weren't so hot, but he's a player.
Lawson --- compared to Jason Taylor
Carpenter -- all-around player
Cromartie -- gamble on greatness, I'd personally pass in round 1
Hill -- more like Allen who Miami just signed
Jackson -- intriguing wide receiver
Holmes -- nice compliment to Chambers/Booker
Watson -- big time run stuffing DT
McNeil -- could play LT or RT. The guy Auburn ran behind in short yardage.
Justice -- athletic tackle

There could be others, but I think those are the players Miami will consider if they remain around the #16 area in the first round.

I don't think Justice will be there out of that group. All the others, I expect will be. The real question is whether or not we stay put or trade down. I think that some of those guys (Watson, Carpenter, McNeil) will be around at 30 as well as 16. If we could trade down, with Indy for example, we might be able to get, say, Gabe Watson and Nick Mangold. IMO, that would be a good first two rounds.

playmaker1 said:
I dont see us drafting a DT. We used our 5th already on a DT in Manny in the suplimental. We drafted 2 DL last year. Yes the majority of our DL right now is getting old, but we already have quite a few on the roster. We only have a few picks this year, I dont see any DL happening. Way bigger needs.

I think the "X factor" for the Dolphins in the draft would be a WR in the first

I don't think Nick is going to be looking at "need" in the first round. He is going to be looking at the quality of the player. We always need good players, regardless of position. And the first round is the best round to get potentially great players.

finfan54 said:
The Dolphins are in the market for an interior linemen. That has been said by the brass again and again, yet we havent gotten any. I would bet Vegas we are getting linemen in this draft.

Good point. Mangold is a definite possibility especially if Miami trades down a bit.

crowder_rules said:
broderick bunkley was huge this year. also did you see his combine numbers. 44 reps at 225. manuel wright did like 14 a year ago. bunkley is 306 and ran sub 5.0. if he is there, he is the perfect 3-4 de. no joke. richard seymour type ability.

also, i still want a true nose tackle. i dont see manuel wright as that either. didnt we rank like 17th against the run last year. that's not good. and it came down to poor nose tackle play.

also, nick saban is from the bill parcells/ bill belichick school of tree. and he definitely believes in the planet theory-which is something i havent heard anyone hear mention. that is, there are only so many big, agile men in the world, so if you can get one, dont pass it up. also think about how the pats have been successful, it is with their front 7. they've drafted lots of dline. richard seymour, jarvis green, vince wilfork. parcells drafted 2 big men last year. we've drafted one good one (wright) and one career back up (vickerson), if the opportunity is there, i can see saban taking it.

There are a couple of those planet guys out there including Haloti Nagati and Gabe Watson on the defensive line. I think both of those guys would interest Saban.

23Dolphins34 said:
Probably will be an interior lineman, most notably a RG. If a LB'er is not signed (Arrington) then OLB would be the next choice. Corner looks like it has been solidified, so that leaves the safety position. Possible candidates:

Max Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph for the RG spot. Although I don't believe picking at #16 we should take a guard, moving down in the draft would be an option for those two. A second day pick worth looking at would be Chris Kuper from North Dakota, 6-4 1/2 310lbs

Manny Lawson would be ideal at #16 for OLB. If the Dolphins trade down, someone like Bobby Carpenter. If trading down nets a linemen and brings a second round pick as well, Kamerion Wimbley or Stanley McClover could fit that bill as a 3-4 OLB.

If the Miami stays at #16 and somehow Michael Huff is there, that's our pick. But since more than likely won't be around then, other options include Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson and for later Daniel Bullocks, Pat Watkins or Bernard Pollard.

Nice reply. Jean-Gilles looked very impressive in the senior bowl, managing Gabe Watson pretty well. I agree that Huff would be the pick if he's there, but I think he could go top 10. I really don't think any other safeties are 1st rounders, although I haven't seen Ko Simpson play. Love Manny Lawson and would really like that pick.

TampaFinsFan01 said:
I don't think Justice will be there out of that group. All the others, I expect will be. The real question is whether or not we stay put or trade down. I think that some of those guys (Watson, Carpenter, McNeil) will be around at 30 as well as 16. If we could trade down, with Indy for example, we might be able to get, say, Gabe Watson and Nick Mangold. IMO, that would be a good first two rounds.

That would be a great scenario. I really expect that Saban will try to trade down unless there is a major surprise and a player he can't pass up at #16.

Back
Top Bottom