NY fan radio Says. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NY fan radio Says.

I think Brian Schottenheimer is going to be your new head coach. I went back and forth on it over the last few days, however with him being one of the 4 finalists and with Huizenga apparently set on announcing a coach this week that makes him the likely choice.

Tomlin is a defensive coordinator, no point at all in having him and Capers on the same staff. If you did put both of them on the staff then you'd need to hire a high-power offensive coordinator to run that side of the ball and you'd have a 3-headed hydra at the top of the team, not counting the GM. That's never good.

Cam Cameron is 50/50 not to be available this week due to a Charger's win. He's the very likely successor to Marty if the Chargers lose. That takes him out of the picture.

So it comes down to Chan Gailey and Brian Schottenheimer. Can anybody here see Huizenga hiring another college coach with a background as a coordinator in the NFL to come in and run his team? Saban was the best of that type of fish on the market 2 years ago and he couldn't get it done. I think Huizenga has him in the mix just to give him a devil's advocate choice, and he's not going to get the job. That leaves your new head coach Brian Schottenheimer.

Ok, I can deal with that. The Jets will miss Schottenheimer at OC, but he's not a killer loss. Chad is the main reason the Jets went 10-6 last year. He's been a gorilla against the weaker teams for years now and he did the 800lb gorilla thing to them last year too with the exception of a flop game against Cleveland. Against the stronger teams Chad and the Jets have always had trouble and this year was no exception.

On the flip side I do think Schottenheimer is a very smart guy and he'll bring fresh ideas to a Dolphin team that is badly in need of them on the offensive side of the ball. Of course he's going to need to hire a coordinator on that side and that pick will tell you a lot about what to expect out of the offense next year.

There are negative aspects to hiring him though. He's no Mangini, and is very unlikely to bring the depth of experience on how to build a winning team and culture that Mangini brought the Jets. His experience comes largely from watching his dad work in San Diego and from the one year with Mangini.

Mangini got to watch Belichik for 6 seasons in New England and also had a chance to watch Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis in action. He got to watch Scott Pioli make good moves year after year. This is what prepared him to take over the Jets and Schottenheimer just doesn't have that frame of reference at this point. So don't expect miracles on the organizational and motivational angles from him just yet.

He also inherits a flatout mess at QB, which is the pivotal position in the Denver/SD offensive system that he knows. Culpepper, Lemon and Harrington are about as bad a hand as you could be dealt going into a season in which the expectations are that you will be competitive. Chad had to stay healthy all season for Schottenheimer to get the recognition that he is apparently getting. Chad's arm is suspect. His intelligence and ability to lead a team are not. There's a huge difference between what the Fins will likely have at QB next year and what Schotty had to work with this year.

All of the above not withstanding I think the Schottenheimer hire is the right move for the Dolphins right now. They need to break out of a spiral that has seen them slowly decline over the last decade and the only way to break it is to rebuild. Schottenheimer gives you the best chance to make an honest rebuild work, assuming he is paired with a good GM for the next few years.

I think Brian Schottenheimer is going to be your new head coach. I went back and forth on it over the last few days, however with him being one of the 4 finalists and with Huizenga apparently set on announcing a coach this week that makes him the likely choice.

Tomlin is a defensive coordinator, no point at all in having him and Capers on the same staff. If you did put both of them on the staff then you'd need to hire a high-power offensive coordinator to run that side of the ball and you'd have a 3-headed hydra at the top of the team, not counting the GM. That's never good.

Cam Cameron is 50/50 not to be available this week due to a Charger's win. He's the very likely successor to Marty if the Chargers lose. That takes him out of the picture.

So it comes down to Chan Gailey and Brian Schottenheimer. Can anybody here see Huizenga hiring another college coach with a background as a coordinator in the NFL to come in and run his team? Saban was the best of that type of fish on the market 2 years ago and he couldn't get it done. I think Huizenga has him in the mix just to give him a devil's advocate choice, and he's not going to get the job. That leaves your new head coach Brian Schottenheimer.

Ok, I can deal with that. The Jets will miss Schottenheimer at OC, but he's not a killer loss. Chad is the main reason the Jets went 10-6 last year. He's been a gorilla against the weaker teams for years now and he did the 800lb gorilla thing to them last year too with the exception of a flop game against Cleveland. Against the stronger teams Chad and the Jets have always had trouble and this year was no exception.

On the flip side I do think Schottenheimer is a very smart guy and he'll bring fresh ideas to a Dolphin team that is badly in need of them on the offensive side of the ball. Of course he's going to need to hire a coordinator on that side and that pick will tell you a lot about what to expect out of the offense next year.

There are negative aspects to hiring him though. He's no Mangini, and is very unlikely to bring the depth of experience on how to build a winning team and culture that Mangini brought the Jets. His experience comes largely from watching his dad work in San Diego and from the one year with Mangini.

Mangini got to watch Belichik for 6 seasons in New England and also had a chance to watch Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis in action. He got to watch Scott Pioli make good moves year after year. This is what prepared him to take over the Jets and Schottenheimer just doesn't have that frame of reference at this point. So don't expect miracles on the organizational and motivational angles from him just yet.

He also inherits a flatout mess at QB, which is the pivotal position in the Denver/SD offensive system that he knows. Culpepper, Lemon and Harrington are about as bad a hand as you could be dealt going into a season in which the expectations are that you will be competitive. Chad had to stay healthy all season for Schottenheimer to get the recognition that he is apparently getting. Chad's arm is suspect. His intelligence and ability to lead a team are not. There's a huge difference between what the Fins will likely have at QB next year and what Schotty had to work with this year.

All of the above not withstanding I think the Schottenheimer hire is the right move for the Dolphins right now. They need to break out of a spiral that has seen them slowly decline over the last decade and the only way to break it is to rebuild. Schottenheimer gives you the best chance to make an honest rebuild work, assuming he is paired with a good GM for the next few years.
Thanks for the good read..Here,s to you :ffic: :ffic:

This is what I've been re-posting every time someone asks this:

They (the Jets) have the 18th ranked scoring offense, 20th ranked rushing offense, 17th ranked passing offense, 16th ranked 1st down passing offense, 16th ranked yards per play.

This is all with Noodle-armed Pennington(who Mangini has admitted they are trying to get rid of, that tells you what his own organization thinks of him) at QB, an o-line made of weak vets and rookies, a RB by committee system with the likes of Washington and Barlow headlining(yuck), absolutely NO TE's to speak of, and average WR's.

That is damn impressive in my book.

He developed Philip Rivers in SD and Drew Brees credits him for turning his career around.

Here's an article on him as well:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/sp...ll/11jets.html

And another:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/16370337.htm

And here's what I wrote about him on the day Saban was fired:

- Brian Schottenheimer-Jets OC- what he has done with average talent on the Jets offensive side of the ball is nothing short of amazing. He’s been in the NFL for eight years, been in coaching for 11, and has been around NFL coaches since birth. Take a look at the people he has coached under(read: learned from) and you’ll see why I am so fond of him. Steve Spurrier, Dick Vermeil, his father Marty, Cam Cameron to name a few, and this is before moving to the Jets and learning the NE system of organization and discipline. And he’s a Florida guy on top of it all. He is my #1 choice by leaps and bounds.

You make some good arguments in support of Brian, but IMO you're stretching it when you say Coles is an average WR. I'd love for the Dolphins to have him and he'd probably start for most of the teams in the league.
Cotchery had a breakout year, but anyone who watched him catching passes from Rivers at NC State knew he has talent. Justin McCareins as the 3rd WR should be ranked among the best #3s in the league IMO.
As for saying yuck in reference to Washington, if he is yuck, I wish we had some more yuck in our offense. Leon Washington comes closest to reminding me of Slippery Joe Washington as anyone to enter the league since.

Brian's ability to adapt his offense to the talent of his players as well as scheming to attack the weaknesses of each defense he faces is somewhat the same strengths we saw from Chan when he was our OC. So in some ways I'd say Brian is a younger version of Chan as for strengths as an OC.
For the same reasons as for ability to bring the best out of an offense that would make me happy with Chan as HC, I'd also be very satisfied to see us give Brian the chance.

when has that ever happened?

give me a break, this is the NFL

if you could have top 10 anything without talent, there would be a coach draft and not a player draft

In 2001, with Chan Gailey as our OC and Jay Fiedler as QB, and our #1 RB averaging 3.1 ypc, we were 8th in the league in points scored.

Why exactly would you bring in Marino or Shula? Are they writing the checks, I think not. This stuff about asking Shula and Marino has got to stop. We have got to stop living in the 70's-80's, I mean Shula was a great coach for his time and Marino was the best QB we have ever had, but they are not currently part of this organization. We have got to look to the future and hope to God we make the right selection for head coach. I dont think we are going to pull the trigger without doing 2nd interviews. Whether it is Schotty, or whomever, just support whoever we choose and let's look to the future!!

Incorrect. Shula is Vice-Chairman of the Miami Dolphins board of directors.

Not to knock him, but those offensive stats simply aren't that impressive. If he made a no talent team into a top 10 offense then I'd be quoting stats. Still I'll support him if he's here, he just seems like a HUGE gamble to me.
He isnt the top guy on my short list, but I would be happy if we got him...
The Jets had a better Offense than us, and it could be agrued that outside of the OLine, we have more talent on that side of the ball than they do....

Brian Schottenheimer will be our next head coach by either the end of Tuesday or Wednesday.

Why?

Mike Tomlin is scheduled for Monday because we need to get the Rooney Rule out of the way. You might say that they already interviewed him and have met the requirement of that rule. However, I think the Dolphins are covering all of their bases here as they have already said that the first meeting was an information-gathering session, which is not an interview. Although they probably could get away with it, I don't think they want to take any chances and risk getting fined and/or giving up draft picks.

Take it for what it's worth. I'd also like to say I was one of the few on here that said and was adament that Nick Saban was leaving us. I got blasted for it, but I was right all along. :)

um, rooney rule already out of the way. We interviewed Tomlin and Rivera already.

You make some good arguments in support of Brian, but IMO you're stretching it when you say Coles is an average WR. I'd love for the Dolphins to have him and he'd probably start for most of the teams in the league.
Cotchery had a breakout year, but anyone who watched him catching passes from Rivers at NC State knew he has talent. Justin McCareins as the 3rd WR should be ranked among the best #3s in the league IMO.
As for saying yuck in reference to Washington, if he is yuck, I wish we had some more yuck in our offense. Leon Washington comes closest to reminding me of Slippery Joe Washington as anyone to enter the league since.

Brian's ability to adapt his offense to the talent of his players as well as scheming to attack the weaknesses of each defense he faces is somewhat the same strengths we saw from Chan when he was our OC. So in some ways I'd say Brian is a younger version of Chan as for strengths as an OC.
For the same reasons as for ability to bring the best out of an offense that would make me happy with Chan as HC, I'd also be very satisfied to see us give Brian the chance.

Not to mention weak OL? If you watch Nick Mangold, he never gets beat and the rookie LT did get beat by some good DE/LB's, but not that much.

The thing about shotty is his ability to take what he has and just implement plays that work to those abilities. Case in point is our second game when we were beating the crap out of their offense hit-wise and Shotty pulls off the screen pass for the long TD with minutes remaining. It was the perfect call at the perfect time against our stout D.

Here's an idea why don't you tell me how you'd take me posting this:

I really would prefer a white head coach in Miami.

We really need to move past these things. I can't imagine why anybody would care what color the coach is as long as he is good at his job.

I'd say more than likely you'll get your wish.

I'm not biting on this discussion. It never accomplishes anything and never changes anyone's mind.

You've all described the reasons he's a great coordinator, but a head coach needs the ability to lead and garner respect from his team in the locker room. Completely different qualities than calling plays on the sideline. This is where I think Schottenheimer is a big gamble. Me, I'd like to see Whisenhunt - young, but not too young; has had coordinator experience for several years, and has been working under one of the great head coaches in the league. Schottenheimer just doesn't have the experience yet. Having said that, he is my second choice due to the lack of choices out there and I certainly won't be disappointed if we hire him.

either way I hope its true.

PS: Mike and the Mad Dog are awesome; WFAN overall is the best sports radio station I've ever tuned into.

this says it all...........you are definitely NUTS!!!!!! mike and the mad dog are painful to listen to. the only people who like them are giants fans and bill parcells....because they kiss their a$$es so hard........mike and mike in the morning are 100x better then fatcessa and the 40 year old virgin.

mccareins is TERRIBLE! you guys can have him.......

Yeah, McCareins is not a particularly skilled wide receiver. He does have some speed still and he's not small so he'll make a play now and then. He's just not any kind of impact player and the drops will drive you buggy.

I'm all for it. Enough of these re-tread coaches who haven't won anything at the head coaching level sticking around the league.

Absolutely. The good ol' boys club does nothing but breed mediocrity. Time to step out of the things that have not worked in the past.

Donald F. Shula was 33 when he was first hired as a head coach.

If memory serves me, he turned out pretty good.

This guy just screams of HC material, from his background as a QB to what he likley learned from his father, to what he did w/ the Jets adn Robo-arm this past season.

Is it a bit of a gamble. Yes, indeed! But we're at that point where we need to take a gamble in an effort to win!

W/ Capers running the defense, he and his OC (whomever) can concentrate on that! Capers will keep us competitive while Shotty helps us learn how to score!!

I'm all for this!! Gaily or Mora, Jr. would be OK in my book too, but this Shotty kid just has success written all over him!

Back
Top Bottom