NY fan radio Says. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NY fan radio Says.

I wonder if Don Shula could have an impact in all of this. The Shula's / Schottenhiemer's are known to be friends, and I've heard that Shula really thinks highly of Brian. Hmmm?.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Schottenheimer Sr. was Shula's choice to replace him upon retirement until JJ budged in.

This is what I've been re-posting every time someone asks this:

They (the Jets) have the 18th ranked scoring offense, 20th ranked rushing offense, 17th ranked passing offense, 16th ranked 1st down passing offense, 16th ranked yards per play.

This is all with Noodle-armed Pennington(who Mangini has admitted they are trying to get rid of, that tells you what his own organization thinks of him) at QB, an o-line made of weak vets and rookies, a RB by committee system with the likes of Washington and Barlow headlining(yuck), absolutely NO TE's to speak of, and average WR's.

That is damn impressive in my book.

CAPS, I am serious when I ask you this? Can you be my advisor whenever I need to make an big time decision in life. You had it right all along on this my brotha.

Not to knock him, but those offensive stats simply aren't that impressive. If he made a no talent team into a top 10 offense then I'd be quoting stats. Still I'll support him if he's here, he just seems like a HUGE gamble to me.
OK, whatever. If you want to be negative and ignore the fact that he doesn't have good talent to work with, ignore the raving reviews the players he coaches and his coaching peers give him, ignore the fact that he adapts his system to suit the strengths of his personnel, ignore the experts like KB21's opinion of him, ignore the fact that he is thought well enough of in Dolphins HQ to get a second interview, then you go ahead and do that.

Not to knock him, but those offensive stats simply aren't that impressive. If he made a no talent team into a top 10 offense then I'd be quoting stats. Still I'll support him if he's here, he just seems like a HUGE gamble to me.
Sometime you have to take that risk. In the Jets case they finally made a bold move once in their franchise and took a huge gamble. Whether Mangini produced three straight 5-11 seasons, or start off like he has, we were for the gamble because for once our Owner cared and wanted to make a stand. I mean really, a 35 year old head coach and 37 year old GM...Risky, but it has payed off thus far.

DolphinDynasty said:
CAPS, I am serious when I ask you this? Can you be my advisor whenever I need to make an big time decision in life. You had it right all along on this my brotha.
No problem bro, shoot me a PM whenever you need some advice:lol:

There's a lot of young coaches....what seperates Schotty other than him being the co-ordinator for a bottom tier offence?

Beggers can't be choosers. All I know is that the Jets' "bottom tier offense" was better than the Fins' O last season. I also know the Jets made it into the playoffs and the Fins didn't even come close.

I like it. He's a young, offensive minded coach & we keep Capers as DC.

No more retreads is right. I'd hate to see the same old guys who haven't been able to get it done before not get it done again here.

If he got that much production out of Pennington then he will probably not make drastic changes to our QBz right away.

I dont care if our coach is purple, I just want a coach who is offense-minded and willing and able to steer the ship

Yep, I get sick of people making a race issue out of everything.

Equallity means that the best man gets the job regardless.

Wayne H. did a great job IMO in tying up Capers.
He put his money where his mouth is and paid him top dollar to stay and continue with us.

That said, I think it makes a great deal of sense that we go with an offensive mind at HC. We need the infusion of youth and creativity and from what I've read Schott. has both of those.

His youth could bite us in the arse but it could also pay huge dividends with longevity.

As for Tomlin, I just hadn't read much on him that impressed me and his Vikes D certainly didn't impress me.
Add that to us not needing anyone screwing with our system on D and he's just not the right choice, black, white or purple.

If he made a no talent team into a top 10 offense then I'd be quoting stats.

when has that ever happened?

give me a break, this is the NFL

if you could have top 10 anything without talent, there would be a coach draft and not a player draft

I'm not bashing any candidate with this post.

But doesn't all this seem a little bit premature to anyone?

As told/sold to us... first 12 candidates. Everyone gets a first interview... personality, influences, "getting to know you" fluff talk. Then 5 get a second interview... more substantial, hardcore football talk. Then 2. Then contract offer to their favorite. So we heard.

Now we're about to pull the trigger and none of the dozen candidates have even had their second interview yet? (Unless they were in secret. Shhhh!)

As of today, Rex Ryan is available. Maybe later this week Brian Billick. Nothing? Ok. Nobody on the loser of the Eagles/Saints interesting? Ok. How about on Sunday, when the Bears & Chargers might have 3 or 4 candidates to add to our mix. What about the Whiz? Done with him, too, I guess.

Look, I'm not mad. Just confused. Why push the panic button now, when in 24-48 hours the entire landscape could have changed? It seems like our search has jumped the tracks.

If the Fins think Schotty is their guy... great. I like the guy, too. But don't you owe it to yourself to go ahead with the second interviews of 4-5 people and make sure? What about bringing in Marino and Shula to sit in on these interviews? Now it's unnecessary?

I hope this is just over-zealous reporting and we will go ahead with what seemed like a solid plan. Shake your favorite candidates upside down and see what they are all about. Then pick your favorite and make an offer.

Why exactly would you bring in Marino or Shula? Are they writing the checks, I think not. This stuff about asking Shula and Marino has got to stop. We have got to stop living in the 70's-80's, I mean Shula was a great coach for his time and Marino was the best QB we have ever had, but they are not currently part of this organization. We have got to look to the future and hope to God we make the right selection for head coach. I dont think we are going to pull the trigger without doing 2nd interviews. Whether it is Schotty, or whomever, just support whoever we choose and let's look to the future!!

Why exactly would you bring in Marino or Shula? Are they writing the checks, I think not. This stuff about asking Shula and Marino has got to stop.

I was just quoting the plan as laid out by Dolphins management--I wasn't saying Shula's and Marino's input was required or even desirable. A lot of other people thought it was a great idea; I'm lukewarm about it.

Hopefully nobody takes this the wrong way but, I'd love to see a black head coach coaching the Fins. That being said though, I'll be happy with Tomlin or Schottenheimer.

Here's an idea why don't you tell me how you'd take me posting this:

I really would prefer a white head coach in Miami.

We really need to move past these things. I can't imagine why anybody would care what color the coach is as long as he is good at his job.

OK, whatever. If you want to be negative and ignore the fact that he doesn't have good talent to work with, ignore the raving reviews the players he coaches and his coaching peers give him, ignore the fact that he adapts his system to suit the strengths of his personnel, ignore the experts like KB21's opinion of him, ignore the fact that he is thought well enough of in Dolphins HQ to get a second interview, then you go ahead and do that.

If you want to say ignore a few more times, go ahead. I am merely being a skeptic towards an unknown. Also, many people have raved about coordinators/coaches before. It means nothing really. It is not a guarantee for success, like you seem to think. I just want the best guy for the job and Schottenheimer just seems grossly underqualified. I know, I know everybody had to start somewhere, but we've gambled enough in Miami lately and I just don't want another set back. I'd rather go with a safer pick.

Sounds damn good to me. Brian Schottenheimer, COME ON DOWN! :dolphins:

The thought of Schottenheimer grooming Brohm for a few years behind Culpepper is orgasmic :D

Back
Top Bottom