O-line And Run Defense Are A Big Problem. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

O-line And Run Defense Are A Big Problem.

Should have gotten Andrew Norwell and drafted a center

giphy.gif

I was hoping Sitton and Kilgore were going to help our O-line be decent this year but Sitton lasted one game and Kilgore not even 4. That's the risk when you get older players that have been hurt. I liked we got Sitton but was holding my breath he wouldn't go down. Two weeks in a row now that we can't run the football at all which hurts the passing game too.

On defense we had ONE DE that can play the run (Hayes) and now he's gone. Once again, an older player that's been hurt before. Of course it doesn't help when your MLB is only getting 5 or 6 tackles a game.

Injuries are starting to pile up. The season's not over as we're 3-1 but this will only get harder. Unless we find a running game(hard to do with our O-line) and start tackling better it'll be hard.

One last thing. We had no pass rush today. Brady had all day to throw. Lots of work to do.

Hey D, all I can say is that if you save this post, you can no doubt save yourself some trouble by just pasting it as a post for the next few years. :chuckle:

The Ever Troublesome VIPER

I'd like to see us use 2 out of our first 3 picks next year in interior olinemen. The tackles are ok but the guards and center need to be upgraded big time.

At the beginning of every year fans notice what we need. You could probably go back for the last decade and revisit posts to see the same complaints at the root of our team problems; 1) poor OL line, 2) lack of dominant run game, 3) breakdowns in pass protection, 4) getting beat at the LOS, and on. This is when the logical part of a fan's brain is clear and able to command their attention.

Then, as the season wears on, they grow frustrated with watching the same results week in and week out. And because we don't have an offseason in Week 8 to get these problems solved, they get tired of complaining about the OL, knowing it won't be fixed, and change the narrative to: 1) Draft a new QB, 2) draft a top flight WR, 3) draft a dominant TE, 4) draft a DE, 5) draft a CB or some other diffusing argument that takes focus off of the original and obvious problem.

The offseason arrives... "don't spend money on cornfed", "don't draft cornfed", "we need to sign high profile players that are NOT OL", "we need to draft the flavor of the day".

Fast forward to September.... "our OL sucks!".

So, for all of those rolling their eyes, come back and read this next September.

I've clamored for us to double down on OL in the first 3 rounds on and off for the past several drafts. You are going to hit and you are going to miss. But I'd rather hit on 1 out of 2 high draft picks on the OL instead of missing on 1 every year.

Most GMs and HCs ignore the OL. They don't want to spend money there. But when you hear them give interviews about "building a team" or "why we are successful"... guess which position is ALWAYS mentioned? OL.

It's time for the wallet to follow the brain. And time for the fans to understand, it starts up front. You keep building and investing in the OL EVERY YEAR. But we are behind, we need to double down this draft. And THEN keep committing a draft pick to it every year. Until we can survive a SEASON ending injury, and I mean Team's Season Ending Injury, we haven't fixed the problem.

And we'll continue to come back here and hear rants about: RT, the D being tired, the O not converting on 3rd down, losing time of possession.... AND every other critical factor that all hinges on ONE unit that we depend on most, spend the least and give the least amount of attention... Offensive Line.

Welcome to Groundhog Day.

After re watching the game it was clear as a bell where it all went bad. The game started and was going along as usual. Miami getting murdered by the refs but still hanging in the game. NE got up 10-0 and Miami has a great defensive stop. We get the punt. It's time to start moving the ball and getting back into things. There's 7:58 on the clock, 2nd quarter, and Tannehill is back in the gun and doesn't catch the snap. The ball skitters around and RT does NOT even get the recovery. NE ball, TD on the first play. 17-0, game over. At Gillette Stadium on the road, fans going crazy. Stick a fork in the Dolphins. With Kilgore gone they better have Center position addressed. We've got some problems in the trenches but we'll get it right.

I'm concerned with the play calling, especially in the first half, and Ryan's play. His numbers have been greatly helped by very short catch and run plays. His play against NE was terrible and I wonder if he still has some rust. We need to sustain drives, we're the 3 and out kings and that sucks.

Back
Top Bottom