Offer Made To Sammy Knight | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offer Made To Sammy Knight

Re: Re: You called him Gumbo...

Originally posted by Saint Greg

Here we go.....people have to bring up the whole "history" thing. If you don't win a championship, the playoffs mean nothing....so as far as i'm concerned, you guys are 1 up on us. And i dont' want to talk about what happened 30+ years ago...that's a little before my time.

You know, I lived in New Orleans for 10 years, & tried to make the Saints my "NFC" team & always looked on the bright side with them, but they do have a messed up organization. Maybe things would be even brighter if they did a few things differently.

J.Johnson & some of the other top-tier coaches always refer to their goal as "putting a good product on the field". It's crass, but that's what it's about. The Saints have always been penny-pinchers who get what they pay for. They let good players, staff, & FO people go rather than pay them. Fan favorites are tossed out & they would continually sign 2nd stringers from other teams & announce that they made an upgrade. Usually true.:rolleyes:

Saying they are consciously deciding to upgrade in some of these situations is just spin, and every team does it. The difference between the Fins & Saints, though, is that <b>the Fins put a quality product on the field, year in and out</b>, & every year the fans know they have just as much chance as any other team if the chips fall right. No one thinks that team management is holding them back - the way most fans in N.O. feel...

I'll be the first to admit that the <u>Saints have put together 3 excellent offseasons</u>, but something makes these guys want to jump ship. The team sells "hope" to the fans every year, & for 30 years they haven't delivered. 4 straight years in the playoffs would make Saints fans delirious. Instead they threaten to leave every couple of years, play in a dumpy stadium (I know, I worked there), etc...Personally I believe they are headed in the right direction, but you can't fault S. Knight for wanting to play with a perennial contender in a nicer city, on a better surface, with better (meaning less fickle, more optimistic) fans, or in Miami's case, on a defense with more ProBowler's than he's seen outside of Hawaii.....

...come to think of it, who wouldn't rather root for a team like that as well? :D

Greg is right about Turley, he is very good at RT, but he is average to below average at LT, and he really struggled. The Saints made a good move by dealing him, but they could have gotten a pick this year for him, but their coach supposedly thought they had too mnay picks this year. The Saints overpaid for Gandy BTW.

Originally posted by wahwee
My biggest issue (and there are many; I am a Saints fan in a 5 year hibernation for the way they treated Ricky) with the Saints is how they try to smear every player that they get rid of.

And don't believe that Ricky sucked in NO and picked it up here. He played at almost 250 after Haslett requested it. He was still the same runner that teams sold out to stop, it's just that Miami has a qb who can play consistently well on third downs, and doesn't throw ints or fumble twice/game.

Turley was a great player last year, but got stabbed in the back. Being a throwback player, loyalty was important to him. Now Knight is on his way out after being the only player with a heartbeat during the last 2 season's late season collapses, and he gets smeared by the team.

I've actually heard that almost word for word from one of the two players i've coached ......but he wouldnt ever say something like that publicly so I wont do it for him. But I will say I heard it when he was still a member of the team and it was when I asked about what was being said about Ricky Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Saint Greg

Brooks and the saints were far apart at this point last season as well.....but they signed him the day before training camp. The saints are somewhere around 10mil under the cap. Horn will get his money...If he doesn't, i'll be the first to turn on the saints front office..he deserves to get paid more than anyone on the saints roster.

Originally posted by Rrodr038

Let's see what happens then.

Point made. Good luck with knight guys.

Saints | Horn Agrees To Extension, Begins Working Out
Fri, 23 May 2003 04:31:19 -0700

Updating previous reports, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports New Orleans Saints WR Joe Horn agreed to a one-year contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2005 season. Financial terms of the deal were undisclosed, but it is believed he will receive a $6.8 million signing bonus. Horn said he would sign the deal late next week. After agreeing to the extension, Horn began working out with his teammates Thursday for the first time this off-season and is expected to participate in the team’s coaching sessions that begin Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom