***Official 2011 Florida Marlins Thread*** | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2011 Florida Marlins Thread***

Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, Sanchez, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.

Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, Sanchez, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.
I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.

I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.

Yea I get what your saying, just worried about the late season collapses from our bullpen going all the way back to 2004 even, but I'm not in tune with the farm system like that so I am hopeful we have some young quality arms who can provide us some relief pitching for a potential playoff run in September.

I forgot about Dominguez . . . good call, I think we can probably stick with the unsteadiness at 3b and wait for him. And you make a good point about needing another starter, even if he is somebody like a Julian Tavarez type . . . a rubber arm in the bullpen but can give you a quality start in a short notice scenario or like you said, take over for a struggling Vazquez or Volstad.

Poor Buster Posey saw some stars last night. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I was surprised to find out this morning what had happened. Being an FSU fan, i'm obviously a Buster Posey fan. Hate tp see that happen. Praying that he makes a fully recovery.

Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

Could see two more at-bats.

:woot:

Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

Could see two more at-bats.

:woot:

That would be sweet

Back
Top Bottom