***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

I admittingly missed most of the pre WC German matches, something I normally don't do, and heard similar. I saw some of the Austria match.

But when you talk about guys like Rudy, Goretska, Brandt, Draxler, Kroos, Ozil, etc. . . there are so many of those kind of players . . . .Sane gives you something different and with his EPL accolades you bring him even if his form isn't all the way there because you know the pace he adds to the team in a way that only Werner can bring.

But that ship sailed and no need to dwell on it anymore from my end.

Brandt is making a serious case for more playing time as well just with his form from distance.

Ozil and Khedira can stay on the bench IMO.
Sane will get his chance again, Loew said so much. If he puts the same effort in as he does for Man City he will be at the next Euro and WC. He is only 22.
The problem wasn't really his form. I don't think anybody can actually say if he was in a good form or not. He just didn't fit in. One commentator said at one of the games "I have to wonder if Sane is at the same game we are watching".

I was never a huge fan of Oezil. He can be brilliant but he is a diva. He only plays when he wants to. More often then not he is just a by-stander at least for the National team. I think Loew held onto him for such a long time because Loew was hoping that Oezil could be the great 10 every team is looking for. A lot of times Oezil's shortcomings were masked by others playing better and pulling him along.

You have to understand Germany's philosophy. It is all about team strength. Often a player may not be as talented as another player but makes the roster because he fits into the system. Superstars have to adjust to the system. Not the other way around.
The last few world cups were all won by countries which had a very level squad. Yes they all had their stars but they all fit in. Teams who are trying to fit the team to a superstar will fail eventually: Argentina/Messi; Brazil/Neymar, Portugal/Ronaldo (the Euro was a total aberration).
Even Brazil's last two (2002 and 1994) were team wins. I think you have to go all the way back to 1986 and Maradonna and Argentina were it worked. If Sane wants to become a representative at the Euro or WC he has to fit in. Nobody will adjust the team to him.

So for Germany to control their knockout phase destiny . . . .they need a win by at least 2 goals vs. South Korea. That gets them through no matter what happens in the other match.

That late goal by South Korea could come back to haunt Mexico. If Germany wins by at least 2 goals and Sweden wins 1-0 over Mexico. . . .Mexico loses the tiebreak.
Mexico would lose out a tiebreak if Germany wins 1-0 and Sweden wins 1-0. They would lose out on the 6th tiebreaker (goals scored in those games - Mexico 1; Germany 2; Sweden 2). Oh in that case Sweden would beat Germany in the 7th tie break (fair play - Thanks Boateng :laugh) for 1st place.
<man, I need a frigging life :roflmao>

But yeah, Germany should just score goals and not worry about anything else. The game was much better than the game against Mexico. They were surprisingly unsure of themselves after a couple mishaps but I think with the 2nd half Germany arrived at the WC. They played Sweden against the wall. It was almost like a 45 min powerplay. That didn't change much with a man down either. They haven't played their best yet but as they say: "you want to play your best at the end".

Sane will get his chance again, Loew said so much. If he puts the same effort in as he does for Man City he will be at the next Euro and WC. He is only 22.
The problem wasn't really his form. I don't think anybody can actually say if he was in a good form or not. He just didn't fit in. One commentator said at one of the games "I have to wonder if Sane is at the same game we are watching".
There are also lots of stories about Sane not wanting to be a substitute. He doesn’t seem to be the team player (yet?) that Löw wants.

Last year at the Confederations Cup when Germany won it with mostly their 2nd tier players, Sane didn’t want to play because he supposedly didn’t see himself as a 2nd tier player. He had not so urgent surgery on his nose and got a huge tattoo on his back showing himself celebrating a goal instead. That didn’t sit well with Löw.

On a press conference after Sane got left out of the squad, Miroslav Klose indicated that much, saying “Sane will learn from this”.

From a pure football perspective you will always find a role for a player like Sane. From a team building perspective he didn’t seem to fit this year.

Did I mention that I love this thread and I’m honestly surprised how much you guys watch soccer/football and how much you know about the game. I’ve always thought that Americans don’t really care about it. Is it because you grew up in Germany or how did you get hooked?

lol watching this panama team....imagine the results the US would get if they didn't have such a weak pool of teams to play in qualifiers

Panama are an utter shambles

There are also lots of stories about Sane not wanting to be a substitute. He doesn’t seem to be the team player (yet?) that Löw wants.

Last year at the Confederations Cup when Germany won it with mostly their 2nd tier players, Sane didn’t want to play because he supposedly didn’t see himself as a 2nd tier player. He had not so urgent surgery on his nose and got a huge tattoo on his back showing himself celebrating a goal instead. That didn’t sit well with Löw.

On a press conference after Sane got left out of the squad, Miroslav Klose indicated that much, saying “Sane will learn from this”.

From a pure football perspective you will always find a role for a player like Sane. From a team building perspective he didn’t seem to fit this year.
How the hell did you get an "Umlaut"? :laugh

Well said, it all boils down to no team mentality.

Did I mention that I love this thread and I’m honestly surprised how much you guys watch soccer/football and how much you know about the game. I’ve always thought that Americans don’t really care about it. Is it because you grew up in Germany or how did you get hooked?

My dad is German and was very closely associated with soccer. Him and Gerd Mueller used to play racquetball on Saturday mornings when Gerd played for the Strikers. He is best friends with the people who own the Ambry German restaurant here in a Fort Lauderdale.

Growing up, I played team soccer for 7 years. So yea it’s in my blood even though I was born and raised in South Florida.

I honestly have no idea why more Americans don’t play soccer at a young age. I mean I guess they do, but America has the best athletes on the planet, but those great athletes go to the other sports for the most part.

I think part of it is they are scared of all the running you do in soccer for the amount of uninterrupted time . . . .at least that is the answer I have gotten from talented young athletes when I ask them.

The U.S. not being at the WC was devastating to any potential that was built. We are in such a trendy society, even more so than 4 years ago. It will be insane in 8 years when they host . . . But that seems so far away at this point.

Born and raised in Berlin, Germany. I started playing club soccer at the tender age of 6 and continued until I moved completely to Florida at 23 (before that it was a 50/50). I actually started playing for the Ambry team (Gerd Mueller's restaurant) that summer in 1987 but it was summer in Florida. I stood on the field and the sweat was dripping without having moved one inch and I said "**** this ****" :laugh
Over the years I helped coach my son's soccer teams and was frustrated how little daddy soccer coaches knew about the game. :roflmao

How did you get hooked?

lol watching this panama team....imagine the results the US would get if they didn't have such a weak pool of teams to play in qualifiers

Panama are an utter shambles

I mean the U.S. defeated them in a must win qualifier 4-0.

Taking nothing away from how disappointing the U.S. not qualifying was . . . .but one of the most underrated things about ConCaCaf is road games in Central America and the Carribbean. It’s not like going to some major soccer stadium in a Europe with good turf and training grounds. It’s 95 degrees, dirt training grounds, shitty pitches and just a very rough environment.

So while the teams are weaker, qualification can’t be overlooked.

U.S. not qualifying was a necessary evil unfortunately.

My dad is German and was very closely associated with soccer. Him and Gerd Mueller used to play racquetball on Saturday mornings when Gerd played for the Strikers. He is best friends with the people who own the Ambry German restaurant here in a Fort Lauderdale.

Growing up, I played team soccer for 7 years. So yea it’s in my blood even though I was born and raised in South Florida.

I honestly have no idea why more Americans don’t play soccer at a young age. I mean I guess they do, but America has the best athletes on the planet, but those great athletes go to the other sports for the most part.

I think part of it is they are scared of all the running you do in soccer for the amount of uninterrupted time . . . .at least that is the answer I have gotten from talented young athletes when I ask them.

The U.S. not being at the WC was devastating to any potential that was built. We are in such a trendy society, even more so than 4 years ago. It will be insane in 8 years when they host . . . But that seems so far away at this point.
It's a shame what happened to "kleines, dickes Mueller".
It is funny that in all of these years I never warmed up to the Ambry. Outside that one "game" I went there for dinner once in 1987 and then never again. I made one stop for a beer with some Germans a couple years ago who were using a guide book and it said the see Gerd Mueller's restaurant though he didn't own the dam place for decades. :laugh

Born and raised in Berlin, Germany. I started playing club soccer at the tender age of 6 and continued until I moved completely to Florida at 23 (before that it was a 50/50). I actually started playing for the Ambry team (Gerd Mueller's restaurant) that summer in 1987 but it was summer in Florida. I stood on the field and the sweat was dripping without having moved one inch and I said "**** this ****" :laugh
Over the years I helped coach my son's soccer teams and was frustrated how little daddy soccer coaches knew about the game. :roflmao

How did you get hooked?

Ha very cool your association with the Ambry. Yea I used to go out to Tradewinds Park as a kid and watch them play. My Dad, Hans father and sons, all those guys. I even played goalie once for them in a scrimmage at the indoor soccer spot in Pompano (learned a real lesson in just how hard these guys shoot and how accurate they are as they nutmegged me twice in that game while I was in perfect position).

I stopped playing in high school and went to football due to my size (6’1 225) but I kind of regret not sticking with it but my school had a poor program that only focused on track and football and the coaches recruited me to come out.

It's a shame what happened to "kleines, dickes Mueller".
It is funny that in all of these years I never warmed up to the Ambry. Outside that one "game" I went there for dinner once in 1987 and then never again. I made one stop for a beer with some Germans a couple years ago who were using a guide book and it said the see Gerd Mueller's restaurant though he didn't own the dam place for decades. :laugh

My dad was very close Gerd and the current owners, I mean they co owned and something happened (my guess is it was financial) and ties got severed. My dad did not want to know, he isn’t very confrontational. I remember the last time he spoke with Gerd he was looking for maybe adding a bodyguard and my dad recommended me and Gerd was like “that little sh*t (kLein wutzel . . . .my written German is awful lol)” my dad is like he is way bigger than you remember lol.

Hans Junior does all the cooking now. He makes good food. I watched the 2014 WC final there (amazing time) and recently went for Xmas dinner with my wife, mom and dad. They also did the cooking for the Oakland Park Oktoberfest for years until the city of Oakland Park saw how big the event was getting and made the vendor fees ridiculous so they could come in and profit.

Well that certainly sheds light on the situation. I would have to agree with not including him then but he certainly is young and will get his chance for redemption.

Ha very cool your association with the Ambry. Yea I used to go out to Tradewinds Park as a kid and watch them play. My Dad, Hans father and sons, all those guys. I even played goalie once for them in a scrimmage at the indoor soccer spot in Pompano (learned a real lesson in just how hard these guys shoot and how accurate they are as they nutmegged me twice in that game while I was in perfect position).

I stopped playing in high school and went to football due to my size (6’1 225) but I kind of regret not sticking with it but my school had a poor program that only focused on track and football and the coaches recruited me to come out.

My dad was very close Gerd and the current owners, I mean they co owned and something happened (my guess is it was financial) and ties got severed. My dad did not want to know, he isn’t very confrontational. I remember the last time he spoke with Gerd he was looking for maybe adding a bodyguard and my dad recommended me and Gerd was like “that little sh*t (kLein wutzel . . . .my written German is awful lol)” my dad is like he is way bigger than you remember lol.

Hans Junior does all the cooking now. He makes good food. I watched the 2014 WC final there (amazing time) and recently went for Xmas dinner with my wife, mom and dad. They also did the cooking for the Oakland Park Oktoberfest for years until the city of Oakland Park saw how big the event was getting and made the vendor fees ridiculous so they could come in and profit.
Not sure about the financial details. Only heard that it was a loss for him. He relied on German tourists too much. But back in the 80s most tourists went to Miami Beach and stayed there. They had everything they needed. No need to go all the way to Ft Lauderdale. Plus if anybody went for German food they went to the "Old Heidelberg" (I believe it is still there) on 84 or the Bavarian Village on US1 in Hollywood (gone now).
What I know of Mueller is that he went back to Germany as an alcoholic. He went to therapy and then worked for his old club (Bayern Munich) but suffers now of Alzheimers.

Maybe I stop by there for one of the WC games.

Small world.

So, poor Panama gets beaten into a pulp and England and Belgium qualify for the knockout round. Their match next week will decide who will come in first in that group.

The last two games today are games from Group H and completes the second game day (tomorrow begins the 3rd and final game day).

Senegal will face Japan both coming of surprise wins over Colombia and Poland. I am not playing a guessing game but either the Japan team or Senegal team will sit dam pretty after the game while either Poland or Colombia will look at a surprising exit from the WC.
Can a team be eliminated from advancing or secure a spot in the knockout round? Yes, either or but not both.
If Poland and Colombia tie later in the day than the winner of Senegal/Japan will qualify for the knockout round. On the other hand if Senegal/Japan play to a tie than the loser of Colombia vs Japan has no chance to qualify for the Round of 16.
There are actually 2 more ways for qualifying i.e. If Senegal and Poland win than Senegal advances or if Japan and Colombia win then Japan advances.

I really need a life. :laugh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom