***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

That’s true. I still hope for Argentina because I think they pose the greater challenge for France.
I am not a big fan of France but neither Nigeria nor Argentina is a serious threat to France. As sour as I was with Argentina I had them advance out of the group. But they severely underperformed in all 3 games.
France will knock them out.

I don’t think it’s a sure thing. France hasn’t impressed either.

I believe it’s because France does not play the German and Spanish style of possession football, they rather try to play with counter attacks. And that’s hard to do when your opponent just sits back and waits for you to attack. That’s why I see France looking better against stronger teams like Germany, Brazil or Spain. However, Argentina is not able to play that kind of possession football and that’s why it’s going to be interesting: one team that doesn’t want to dictate the game against a team that cannot dictate the game. It’s probably coming down to one magic trick by either Griezmann or Messi. Or a penalty shootout.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is a soccer fans dream game day. 8 teams, two groups, 6 teams with chances and soccer power houses Germany and Brazil fighting for survival.

It all starts with Group F at 10am EST. Germany (3 points) faces South Korea (already eliminated) and Sweden (3 points) and Mexico (6 points) battle in the other game.
The question for Germany is: has the team arrived at the WC?
After a furious 10 opening minutes against Sweden some unforced errors a la Mexico shook the German confidence again. After going down 0-1 in the first half and facing early elimination Germany clearly dominated the second half. It was basically a game towards one goal with the occasional counter attack by Sweden. Very little is talked about how Germany played with 10 men after Boateng was send off and you could not tell the difference between 10 or 11 players. When Hector came off and was replaced by Brandt Germany basically cut its defense in half and still had enough defense to keep Sweden of the scoreboard.
The winning goal though late and unexpected at that point was more than deserving. Based on that game and especially on the second half I'd say Germany has arrived and should come out with a clear victory and safely move into the knockout stage. But if this World Cup has shown us anything - do not underestimate the little guys. South Korea plays good defense and has some fast guys on the team which is build for a counter attacks. South Korea has seen how vulnerable Germany was against Mexico and will try to emulate that strategy: push Germany into unforced errors and then counter quick with one touch passes.

In the other game Sweden has to win by 2 to assure a spot in the Round of 16. They don't want to rely on Germany to drop a point against South Korea. In Mexico's case their goal is: 1 point at least.

I have the feeling that in this group all three teams will end up with 6 points. Get your calculators out.

In Group F it is even tighter. Brazil (4 points) faces Serbia (3 points) and Switzerland (4 points) faces Cosa Rica (0 points and eliminated).
On paper the most lopsided game seems Switzerland vs Costa Rica. But Costa Rico lost only 1-0 to Serbia and both goals in an 0-2 loss against Brazil came in extra stoppage time (91. and 97.) Costa Rica lacks the refreshing and dangerous counter attack soccer which carried the team to the QF in 2014. So I think Switzerland will be winning this one (unless they produce a brain fart).
Through two games Brazil has not really impressed yet either. It seems like the powerhouses (Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil etc) have a tough time this year. Brazil's biggest problem is scoring and a porous defense. At the end it was enough to get through Costa Rica but Switzerland brought the soccer giant near a loss several times. In Serbia's case: this team has all the making and talent for a mega upset. The questions are how they have survived that devastating loss to Switzerland and the subsequent fighting with FIFA in preparation for this game. In all honesty I could not put a bet on that game. You might want to go with history: Brazil has only exited the world cup stage twice in the preliminary rounds: 1934 and 1966. BTW, both times in Europe.

Germany benched Mueller for today’s game. I have to say it is much deserved. He has been bad . . . But I watch enough Bayern games to know this guy can be a spark off the bench so maybe it will help him going forward.

Goretska gets the start as does Sule. Sule is a glove fit for Boateng so this is nothing.

Glad Yogi is getting a look at a Goretska. I have seen enough of Draxler . . . .good player but I honestly would rather Ozil in as we see today. Draxler has not found his footing on this team yet.

Khedira is in . . . .would rather Rudy but he may still be recovering. Hopefully Sami can give us some positive football today.

We need a 2-0 win just to leave tiebreakers out of any equation.

Safe to say Reus/Werner/Kroos are the untouchables in the front 6 . . . .need to figure out the other 3 guys heading into the hopeful knockout rounds.

Germany benched Mueller for today’s game. I have to say it is much deserved. He has been bad . . . But I watch enough Bayern games to know this guy can be a spark off the bench so maybe it will help him going forward.

Goretska gets the start as does Sule. Sule is a glove fit for Boateng so this is nothing.

Glad Yogi is getting a look at a Goretska. I have seen enough of Draxler . . . .good player but I honestly would rather Ozil in as we see today. Draxler has not found his footing on this team yet.

Khedira is in . . . .would rather Rudy but he may still be recovering. Hopefully Sami can give us some positive football today.

We need a 2-0 win just to leave tiebreakers out of any equation.

Safe to say Reus/Werner/Kroos are the untouchables in the front 6 . . . .need to figure out the other 3 guys heading into the hopeful knockout rounds.
Rudy had multiple breaks of the nasal bone. They hope he might be able to play next game with a mask - if there is another game.

Back
Top Bottom