Official Detroit Pistons Thread | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Detroit Pistons Thread

phunwin said:
I would. The Lakers have $67.6 million committed to next year's cap. Unless Wallace wants to sign for the mid-level exception (he won't), he won't sign there as a free agent.

A sign and trade of Wallace for Lamar Odom (which actually doesn't seem all that unreasonable...except that a frontcourt of Odom and Rasheed Wallace would probably be subject to daily drug testing) would be the only way he ends up in LA. And then Kobe Bryant would get to hoist up 50 shots a game next year.

Odom would not be that bad of a fit. But I think if we traded Odom for Ben then Sheed would move down to center and Odom at power forward. That would actually not be that bad. And think of the mismatches we could cause with Sheed at center. Imagine Shaq or Yao trying to cover sheed when he goes out to take a 3. This trade is looking pretty good if we decide to do it

Straztheman said:
Odom would not be that bad of a fit. But I think if we traded Odom for Ben then Sheed would move down to center and Odom at power forward. That would actually not be that bad. And think of the mismatches we could cause with Sheed at center. Imagine Shaq or Yao trying to cover sheed when he goes out to take a 3. This trade is looking pretty good if we decide to do it

Imagine Sheed trying to gaurd Shaq in the paint?

Straztheman said:

Ben a free agent he can go where ever he wants.

Straztheman said:
I dont think he will get many offers. Anyone think ben could wind up in a knicks uni.

Only if he is money hungry, which I dont know if he is or not....a player would be stupid to want to go to NY now....

Id say he doest get the huge offers he wants, and settles for a decent salary on a western conference team

Amars said:
Ben a free agent he can go where ever he wants.

He's talking...well, actually, *I* was talking and he quoted me...about a sign-and-trade. Wallace would agree to terms with LA, sign the contract with Detroit and immediately be traded for Odom. I think the chances of this happening are about 1 in 100,000, but it's interesting to ponder.

As for Sheed covering Shaq in the paint, admittedly, Shaq would be a major chore for a front line of R.Wallace and Odom. But then, he's a chore for ANY team! Frankly, I don't know why more teams don't try using a long, quick defender like Sheed or Odom or whoever to front Shaq and deny the entry pass. It wouldn't work every time, but then, playing behind him certainly doesn't work. No, you can't build your entire team strategy around defending one opposing player. If a Ben Wallace for Odom swap was best for Detroit, the Pistons should do it and worry about how to defend Shaq later.

As for Shaq covering Sheed or Odom out on the perimeter, this would never happen. The Heat would almost certainly go zone, or some variation thereof. The only time you'll see Shaq beyond 18 feet from the hoop is because he's setting a pick or jogging down the floor.

straztheman said:
I dont think he will get many offers. Anyone think ben could wind up in a knicks uni.

For what? They couldn't offer him more than the mid-level, so it would have to be a sign-and-trade. What would the Knicks give up? Channing Frye? Not bloody likely. If not Frye, there's no one else on that team in whom Detroit would be even marginally interested.

Id love for my Wizards to pick up Big Ben. We have tons of scoring his inside presence and rebounding would make the team much better. Im not sure what our cap situation is but I would imagine we could give him a good amount of cash. I still think the Lakers are a man short if Ben goes there, especially if it means giving up Odom. Im not sure why the Pistons would want to give him up or why he would want to leave. The Pistons are still a really, really good contender, they just have to come up with something better to matchup against the Heat and they will be in the Finals again. There are probaly 3 or 4 really good centers in the entire NBA giving up is idiotic IMO.

Chad Ford was kind enough to take my question in yesterday's chat...

Phil (Rochester, NY): Chad, any chance at all of Detroit talking to Minny about a sign and trade of Ben Wallace, plus Rip Hamilton for KG? Seems like that might be just what the doctor ordered for the Pistons.

Chad Ford: I think it's doubtful, though I'm sure the Pistons would love to get their hands on KG. However, I have no idea why the Wolves would make that trade. While Wallace and Rip are good, I don't think they equal KG.

Section126 said:
I told you so...

I think Sheed, Rip, Delfino and a pick..gets the deal done.

That might be what it takes, but I'd do that.

well i just hate to see rip go. He is such a great nid range scorer and can wear down the other guard so well. What would we do about the other guard then would we plan on picking up a free agent or would lindsey start there. Probly we would pick someone up.

Section126 said:
I told you so...

I think Sheed, Rip, Delfino and a pick..gets the deal done.

And why exactly would the TWolves want those players? If Garnett is traded they will want youth and picks in return. Not a 32 yr old power foward and a player at a position which they just spent a lottery pick on. The only team with a realistic shot at getting Garnett is the Bulls, and I'm sure they would balk at the price.

Ben Wallace....

Back in Orlando?

he's got his eye set on Chicago. Teams like Toronto or Atlanta could make a pitch for them, but I doubt it.

Whats wrong with Rip? He averaged 20.1 PPG, 3 boards, 3 assists,45% from 3, 85% from the line, 50% from the field and hes not god enough fro the Pistons?

nothing wrong, they just need another 2 guard that can score.

ChambersWI said:
he's got his eye set on Chicago. Teams like Toronto or Atlanta could make a pitch for them, but I doubt it.

nothing wrong, they just need another 2 guard that can score.

oh, sorry I thought you meant Rip was not good enough to be a starter now I understand. I agree need a good backup. Bobby Jackson would be perfect could also run the point.

Back
Top Bottom