Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread

Interesting read from Dave Gettleman. His thoughts were its more beneficial to release a guy who claims to be top 5 history and wants to be paid that way and use the money to resign young up and coming talent. He also says he wouldn't mind paying the 13.9 mil tag but there is better use of the money than on a 1 year CB playing in a system that allows a 5th round draft selection to grow into a starting job.

Sounds as if Gettleman is a bigger believer in the system than the player.

Article is on PFT if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still, why rescind the offer this late? It's not like there are quality players left to spend that money on...

Walker just tweeted that Jags are more front runners than Phins,

he was one of the best corners in the nfl last year and we need a starting corner. I would try to sign him regardless of the cap situation. He would instantly upgrade our secondary and give us options to pick other positions of need in the draft.

this!!!!!

What scares me about Norman and others in his situation

Is that he's worked his entire life for this day.... the HUGE PAYDAY. This would be his first big contract. He initially signed for like 4 years 2.3 million dollars. That's chump change compared to what he will make now upwards of 14-15 mill per year. That type of money is life changing. Will he take a couple of years to enjoy his new found wealth? Will he have the motivation and work ethic to do all the things he did that got him in the position to earn his money?

I don't like being the team to give a guy his first BIG contract unless that guy was drafted by us and\or has been with the organization for several years and we've gotten to know him and what motivates him...

I think this was part of the reason Maxwell didn't do as well as people hoped in philly. he couldn't balance enjoying his money and doing the things necessary to remain great. :-\

The whole FA approach has been structured with comp picks next year in mind. No way, they sign Norman with that thinking.

I think this was part of the reason Maxwell didn't do as well as people hoped in philly. he couldn't balance enjoying his money and doing the things necessary to remain great. :-\

Why use Maxwell as an example when there are many more previous players with well-documented issues with money.

This is a stretch.

Otherwise, I agree. It's a **** ton of money to give to someone who has never had that amount of money.

Why use Maxwell as an example when there are many more previous players with well-documented issues with money.

This is a stretch.

Otherwise, I agree. It's a **** ton of money to give to someone who has never had that amount of money.

Why use Maxwell? Because it's a very similar situation with him. He balled out his last couple of years on his rookie deal... Got paid a huge amount of money, and struggled the very next year after getting paid.

First off I see no way Norman signs with Miami but if he did I have no worries about a dip in production. The guy is one competitive SOB. He'll do just find wherever he ends up. It just will not be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herald: Josh Norman revamps representation; PLUS the timing of getting a deal done

[FONT=&quot]Just like that, Josh Norman has hired a new agent and rather than dealing with a smaller, local South Florida agency, the Miami Dolphins (and other teams) will instead primarily deal with one of the agents from Athletes First, a bigger, national agency whose clients include Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Von Miller as well as coaches Chip Kelly and Jason Garrett.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If there was any advantage for the Dolphins in that Executive Vice President of Football Operations Mike Tannenbaum lives five minutes from agent Michael George of SFX Sports Group, that is gone now.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]George will remain as one of Norman's representatives as the cornerback searches for a new team as an unrestricted free agent. But thelead agent now becomes Ryan Williams of Athletes First. Athletes First CEODavid Dunn is a longtime NFL agent.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If this sounds too inside baseball to you, consider something that shouldn't be:The timing of what is about to happen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]George remains part of Norman's team, albeit in a diminished capacity, so as to not require the player to go through the five-day waiting period mandated by the NFLPA when a player changes from one agent to another.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That five-day period would be devastating now because the NFL draft is April 28-30.And teams would typically want to know if Norman is on their team or not by the time they begin the draft process because, well, it would affect their choices.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Dolphins, for example, would likely not be a cornerback-desperate team at No.13 overall in the first round if they knew Norman is going to be their starter along with Byron Maxwell. Suddenly, the idea of picking a linebacker or defensive end or the best available player (BAP) becomes the likelihood.

More at LINK: [/FONT]
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/04/josh-norman-revamps-representation-plus-the-timing-of-getting-a-deal-done.html :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom