*Official U.S. Open Thread* | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official U.S. Open Thread*

Kdawg954 said:
I agree with the second part of your post . . but I completely disagree with your first part. Phil may have more guys cheering him on while he's on the course, but as far as popularity is concerned and this is including non golf fans, Tiger is still miles ahead of Phil in popularity. He is the most popular athlete on the planet, Phil has the American support but he wont produce the ratings that Tiger will produce. I know people who hate golf but will watch if Tiger is in contention . . I can't say the same thing about Phil. Me . . after the soccer game, I tuned into a big horse race on ESPN and I caught a little bit of Open at the end, but I know alot of people probably didn't tune in that normally would of if Tiger was there. J

ust my opinion, but we agree that Phil is in prime contention for tommorow and should win his first US open. He is the best player in the world right now, and I feel comfortable saying that . . Tiger will always be the most dangerous, and when he is on he is probably unbeatable, but Phil is the best right now.

Well, that was a misunderstanding. Sorry.

I completely agree, as should everyone, that Tiger has way more noteriety world-wide and in the whole sports spectrum. He is the most recognized U.S. athlete.

I was referring to Phil being on par with Tiger in the golf world. Among us golf fans.
He definitely has caught Tiger if golf was in a vacuum. That's what I meant.

Shame Duval didn't get as low as I was hoping, but the Open looks like a break through moment for him.

Monty is still there, but I just don't think he has head to pull through.

Phil has to be the favorite to win now. I can't believe how well he has done while missing so many fairways. Just goes to show how on his game is. He's on a huge roll, similar to what Tiger did in 2000-2001. It sure is fun to watch. Call it semantics, but I still believe Tiger is the best golfer in the world. Phil is definitely playing the best golf, but I don't think that's the same as being the best.
One thing is for sure, Phil has closed what was once a large gap between the two.

I predict a huge push by Tiger in a month or two. During his career Tiger never had a contemporary to keep up with. He was always chasing the legend of Jack. Between Phil's current performance, and Tiger's poor showing at the Open, I think Tiger is going to get pissed and turn that unparalleled focus of his on hard. And if Duval can continue his improvement, watch out because 2007 will be a blast. Duval is one of the very few who has the top end game to keep up with those two.

DolphinDevil28 said:
P.S. I believe the British is at the Old Course at St. Andrews this year, correct?
If that's the case, that course sets up for the ball strikers. I think Phil's got a great shot there.
It'll be fun to watch.
It's at Royal Liverpool. I'm not very familiar with that course, so I don't know what to expect.

Well, it was just there in '05, so it'll probably be until after 2010. I'm not sure, but I think they average 7-8 years between visits to the Old Course.

finswin56 said:
Well, it was just there in '05, so it'll probably be until after 2010. I'm not sure, but I think they average 7-8 years between visits to the Old Course.

Hmmm...

I thought it was there in 2004. Sorry.

Anyway, like you said, it won't be there for a while. I didn't know it alternated that long in between courses for a major.

But I love the British Open. The tall grass. The fog coming off the English Channel. The gray skies.
It's where golf was born.

It's fun to watch.
Can't wait to see who gets the old Clarrett Jugg this year.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Hmmm...

I thought it was there in 2004. Sorry.

Anyway, like you said, it won't be there for a while. I didn't know it alternated that long in between courses for a major.

But I love the British Open. The tall grass. The fog coming off the English Channel. The gray skies.
It's where golf was born.

It's fun to watch.
Can't wait to see who gets the old Clarrett Jugg this year.

I like those pot bunkers myself . . they can make a pro golfer look like me lol

Kdawg954 said:
I like those pot bunkers myself . . they can make a pro golfer look like me lol

The par 3 8th @ Royal Troon....

You know what it's called.....

EDIT: It's at Royal Troon, not St. Andrews. :couch:

DolphinDevil28 said:
The par 3 8th @ Royal Troon....

You know what it's called.....

EDIT: It's at Royal Troon, not St. Andrews. :couch:
You talking about the postage stamp?

I love the British Open too. It's right up there with the Masters for me. It's great to see the guys from the US play a different style. It always amazes me how well they can adapt.

finswin56 said:
You talking about the postage stamp?

I love the British Open too. It's right up there with the Masters for me. It's great to see the guys from the US play a different style. It always amazes me how well they can adapt.

:yes:

With that huge coffin bunker to the left.

What a hole.

Phil's inaccuracy is finally starting to catch up to him. I'm still in awe that he's even in contention with all of those fairways missed. Most any other golfer wouldn't even be close now.

man, I can't beleive that the leader is +2 right now, crazy how tuff of a course this is!

Down to the wire for Phil and Monty.
This one is going to be a classic!

Back
Top Bottom