*Official U.S. Open Thread* | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official U.S. Open Thread*

DolphinDevil28 said:
Phil just choked it away with his HORRIBLE shot selection on 18.

Plain and simple. Sad.

I thought Montgomery had it too, but choked it away also.
Phil only hit 2/18 fairways today .... not going to win that way

Man that was the Phil we were used to seeing before his major championship victories. What was he smokin? I mean when he went left with the ball, I was thinking to myself "bogey is still a playoff, why not pitch it out and u got 3 shots to make it a playoff from the fairway, 2 to win the Open out right". Better yet, why not take a 9 iron (being sarcastic, but a 2 or 3 iron) and nail it in the fairway from the beginning. I mean this is definetly right up there with Van de velde, simply because its Phil Mickelson, one of the top 2 golfers in the world. I guess his choke appointment was due.

playmaker1 said:
I thought Montgomery had it too, but choked it away also.
Phil only hit 2/18 fairways today .... not going to win that way

Yea I knew Monti was gonna choke, but I thought Phil was gonna be steady . . I'm mad Furyk wasn't able to get up . . man if Oglivy missed that put, would have been some playoff with Furyk, Mickelson, Oglivy and Monti

unifiedtheory said:
Phil is pulling a Van de Velde (sp).
No, he pulled a Phil.

I want so badly to get behind the guy and be a fan of Phil, but he just does some stupid ****. It makes me wonder if between the non-stop pro-Phil press, and the NY'ers making him their Golf God... Did Phil buy into his own legend? Did he forget that the main difference between so many near misses in the past and the recent run of major wins was him managing the course better. Today was a time machine that brought right back to 2001-2003.
Un-freaking-believeable :fire:

Truth be told, Phil should never have been in this thing. No one should even sniff the lead with such poor driving at the US Open. It's weird to say, but the only reason he was able to scramble for all of those pars is because he drove the ball SO far off line. It seems every drive of his was perfectly lying in the crowd's beaten path. If his drives were just slightly off, he probably makes a few more bogey's out of that jungle rough.

Monty, :(. It's a shame that anyone paying attention the past 15-20 years could have told you his story before he ever hit the 18th tee. What a shame. I wouldn't want to be that guys stomach tonight. It's going to be turning over and over.

And Ogilvy's par on 18 was outstanding. The second I saw it I had a flash back to 98(?) when Payne Stewert's drive on 18 did the same damn thing, and it cost him the Open by one stroke to Lee Janzen. Outstanding finish by Ogilvy despite one worst rules in golf. Those freaking sand filled divots should be ruled ground under repair :fire:, but that's for another thread. "We should have a worst rules in golf", or "Worst rules in sports" thread.

As a huge fan of golf, this was very diificult to watch.

Stomach turning mistake after mistake. This years' US Open was just as much lost as it was won.

All of the memorable shots are huge mistakes with the exception of Ogilvy's chip in on 17.

I wouldn't say it was lost . . Ogilvy had 2 unlucky breaks on 18 and still came up with par . . he earned that victory by shooting no higher than 72 all week . . was well earned, he deserved it, he played the most consistent golf of anyone all week.

Kdawg954 said:
I wouldn't say it was lost . . Ogilvy had 2 unlucky breaks on 18 and still came up with par . . he earned that victory by shooting no higher than 72 all week . . was well earned, he deserved it, he played the most consistent golf of anyone all week.

i am glad he won.

monty ****ed up bad as did mickelson....no one should feel worse than those two. i just dont enjoy this type of golf.

Dubfire said:
i am glad he won.

monty ****ed up bad as did mickelson....no one should feel worse than those two. i just dont enjoy this type of golf.
Totally agree Dub.

As a FAN, Mickelson's errors were tougher to accept. Phil has won several majors, so he will be able to look back and know decisions screwed him, not his play (his driving was horrible, but that's not the norm for Phil).

But, Monty will probably have a harder time reconciling his mistakes. It just keeps happening. Monty isn't failing in his course management. His game just melts under the pressure of playing for a major title, time and time again. He'll need therapy.

Monty and Phil both choked...I was rooting for Phil as an ASU alum, but maybe he has to learn to bare down more and not smile and let stuff get away from him. :rolleyes:

Major meltdown by Mickelson

The new Phil Mickelson won two green jackets with spectacular birdies or steady pars, whatever he needed. The new Phil won the PGA Championship by keeping his tee shots in the short grass and working magic with his wedge.

Sunday in the U.S. Open, the old Phil showed up in a New York minute.
After yet another tee shot clattered through the trees, he went for a par on the 18th hole that would have won at Winged Foot. With a reckless attempt to get out of trouble, he wound up with a double bogey that gave Geoff Ogilvy the trophy and put Mickelson in the wrong kind of company.

He was poised to join Tiger Woods by winning his third straight major but ended up more like Jean Van de Velde, making a series of miscues that converged into a spectacular crash on the 72nd hole.
“I still am in shock that I did that. I just can’t believe that I did that,†Mickelson said. “I am such an idiot.â€Â

Of the half-dozen players who came to the 18th hole at Winged Foot believing they still had a chance to win, Ogilvy was the only one who made par. And even the 29-year-old Aussie thought his 6-foot putt was only going to be good enough for second place.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13400816/

That was actually a trio of chokes.

Furyk 3-putted a few holes earlier from maybe 20 feet, leaving his first putt 8 feet short. Then he yanks his second shot on 18 and babies the par putt and blows it.

Monty changes irons at the last minute and blows it short and right, into the worst possible spot in the deep rough. Even if he two putts for bogey he manages a playoff.

I was rooting like hell for Monty. He lost some chances in the pre-Tiger era and I felt bad for him after that, the only older major European star from the Ryder Cup teams who hadn't won a major. No feeling sorry for him anymore. He had a gift wrapped US Open today with Tiger out of the picture. Bottom line: double bogey on 18. I still can't believe he changed clubs like that at the last minute on 18. Not even a transition, a moment of indecision or talk with the caddy. He swung the first iron several times then tossed it in the bag and yanked the other club. I assume it was a club shorter since he came up somewhat short. But he hit it so poorly it wasn't definite.

Phil is incredibly talented and in his prime, but today was an asinine waste. In fact, worse than Van de Velde in '99. Van de Velde chose poorly with the driver off the tee, but his next shot cleared the hazard and only incredible bad luck with the man made grandstand bounced it back before the water and into the heavy rough.

Phil made three stupid choices today: the driver off the tee then both his 2nd and 3rd shots. The cut driver wasn't working all day. Then he gets word Monty failed to par 18. So where is the fairway wood or long iron? He hit a brilliant fairway wood off the tee on 18th during the third round. Once he's in the rough and 210 yards away, he can lay up and be 50/50 to win and 90/10 to reach a playoff with Oglivy.

But when he stood up there with the long iron, trying the Superman shot, I said to the people I was watching the tournament with, "now he's got no chance at par and only 50/50 to bogey for the playoff." Turns out I was too high with the 50/50. The third shot is very bad luck to plug in the bunker but I was almost glad it happened, so 3-times stupid didn't get bailed out.

One thing about Oglivy: his swing is long and fluid and terrific to watch, big distance with seemingly little effort.

Over all I think it was a good open. It was crazy how tuff the course was, but if you look at how the top guys played, they all seemed to beat themselves. So was it the course, or the pressure?

Back
Top Bottom