Offseason Issues | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason Issues

Highly doubt collins gets released since jesse palmer was God awful, and they may not be able to get a QB. Although Ernie Acorsi the giants GM has made it known that he will do most anything to get Eli Manning, but even so i would see them keeping collins around for a year to help with manning. If by chance collins was cut he wouldnt fit in miami unless we improved the line, he's one of the best qbs in the league when he has time to throw, but if he is rushed even a little, he falls apart and drops the ball all over the field (been forced to watch too many giants games because my bro is a fan)

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
If taylor and surtain get hurt the dolphins D is in shambles anyway. Look at it this way. We invested a lot in Jamar Fletcher so let's let him take over for madison, if it doesnt work then we have another year of T-buck and then find the fix in the offseason at CB. It's not like madison has been awesome, he's been the one getting beat most often on the deep ball and he's getting up in age, plus he would free up a lot of cap room, so i don't see his loss as that crucial.
we could get a 1 and 3 for ogun then ship madison and our extra 3 for a 2 and some later picks.

And like i said, i like ogun, but we almost definitely lose him the following year since we would only resign him for one season and then next year he would be unrestricted and teams would offer him a lot more than we can, so why not get something for him this year. If you remember, Ogun was an undrafted free agent who with the help of our defensive coaches and the double teams to jason taylor, and a lot of hard work, became a success. It's not like he's been a monster his whole playing career.
If he were to be a top DE somewhere and received all the attention, he may not be successful and it'd be an absolute steal for us to get 2 drafts picks in a deep draft and free up cap room for a guy who had one good season. Sure the risk is that he continues his current pace, goes to the bills and beats up on us twice a year, but it's a risk i'd be willing to take.

Basically i think it's easier to patch the defense up with the depth we have and the free agent market out there than the skill positions on offense. If you recall, our pass defense was prettty bad last season, with madison being a part of that and costing us 8 million dollars(way too much).

We've tried the patchwork on offense at WR and QB and it didnt work, let's try something different. You can't have stars all over the field, but were as close to any team as doing that. Defense would still be full of pro bowlers and it would even out our offense. I don't see why you guys think it's so far off base, you act like i'm sacrifing surtain, taylor and zach thomas(the core of the defense will still be there).
let jamar fletcher take over for madison?!?! what ever let me hit that. fletcher is a bust that needs to be cut we wont take a big hit at all so he needs to be cut period the guy sucks!!!

Maybe i'm relying too heavily on my Madden stats for fletcher, haha... But seriously, i just can't bring myself to say we should cut him since he was a first rounder and madison is getting old, t-buck is ancient, we don't have many young DBs on our radar, so if we aren't going to sign or draft one (Draft is pretty weak for DBs this year) then we may as well give him a shot or at least keep him around for backup duty

Maybe i'm relying too heavily on my Madden stats for fletcher, haha... But seriously, i just can't bring myself to say we should cut him since he was a first rounder and madison is getting old, t-buck is ancient, we don't have many young DBs on our radar, so if we aren't going to sign or draft one (Draft is pretty weak for DBs this year) then we may as well give him a shot or at least keep him around for backup duty
we have gave him plenty of "shots" and he has done nothing.he has sucked even as a back up. fletcher has done nothing i do not care what round he was 1st or not he is a bust cutting him would be the best decision. blame fletcher on dave.and t-buck is ancient?? i guess you missed the colts game when he picked manning in the 4th to set up the win against the colts!! or the 75 yard int return for a td against the bills huh? he has made plays all year long.bringing him back would be great.and we have just signed alfonso roundtree for 2 years so cutting fletcher would be a wise decision.

Didn't miss any of those games, don't get me wrong, t-buck is the man, i'm just saying he's got old balls
when he and madison move on, what have we got? I'm ok with seeing what roundtree can do(probably very little), but if we could keep fletcher at a lower price i wouldnt mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fletcher starting? You're joking right?

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Fletcher starting? You're joking right?

:rofl: I was thinking the same thing. I checked my calendar to make sure it was January 1st and not April 1st. Yo, I love your Sigs..how can I make one?

Scary thought for you all I know, but i havent heard what you guys think we'll do? Madison has been getting beat and there have been rumors that they will get rid of him one way or another to free up cap room, and that leaves us with T-Buck starting(fletcher or roundtree in the nickel), which is fine for a year, but who knows how long he(buckley) keeps playing. We probably won't have the cap room to sign a solid free agent CB, and the draft won't bring us one.
It's a shame too cause the free agent class this year for CBs may be the best in history:
Champ Bailey
Charles Woodson
Chris McAlister
Troy Vincent
Antoine Winfield
Bobby Taylor
Fernando Bryant
Shawn Springs
Ahmed Plummer
Will Peterson (RFA)

and several others as well

I think madison will stay. I think he will restructure his deal to stay.

If he doesn't Wanny isn't going to want a start a slow CB like T buck. Tbuck is great in the slot, covering those first 10 yards. But not on the outside lined up one on one. If madison leaves you can count on Fletcher starting at CB...

Scary thought for you all I know, but i havent heard what you guys think we'll do? Madison has been getting beat and there have been rumors that they will get rid of him one way or another to free up cap room, and that leaves us with T-Buck starting(fletcher or roundtree in the nickel), which is fine for a year, but who knows how long he(buckley) keeps playing. We probably won't have the cap room to sign a solid free agent CB, and the draft won't bring us one.
It's a shame too cause the free agent class this year for CBs may be the best in history:
Champ Bailey
Charles Woodson
Chris McAlister
Troy Vincent
Antoine Winfield
Bobby Taylor
Fernando Bryant
Shawn Springs
Ahmed Plummer
Will Peterson (RFA)

and several others as well

PLEASE!!! More than half of the times Madison got beat was because of Marion. I like Marion alot and want him back, but alot of those were his fault. He has to help Madison out on those.

Originally posted by Prime Time

PLEASE!!! More than half of the times Madison got beat was because of Marion. I like Marion alot and want him back, but alot of those were his fault. He has to help Madison out on those.

And you can see it on the field from Madison's reactions TOWARDS Marion. Take Curtis Conway on Madison last week for example, that was ALL Marion.

eh, i don't blame marion for madison getting beat most of the time. Could marion have been better, sure, but thats a whole other thread. Bottom line is madison is older, slower, and not as good as everyone has made him out to be. I would love to see him bounce back next season if he can restructure his contract, but if we could get something for him i wouldnt be too sad to see him go

Keep in mind were about 10 million over the cap as of today, which means we'd have to restructure enough to get 10 million back, then enough to tender ogunleye, and then a lot more to get the offensive line help if you have one of the big name guys in mind (pace, jones, etc...), and then again some more if we plan to bring in garcia or brunell.

If it's enough to win us a SB than so be it, i just think that the draft option would give us more of a boost on offense, more depth all over, more cap room, and still enable us to sign brunell to groom the qb that we draft and help our chances. And i just look at it as losing ogunleye a year earlier since he will not be happy with the one year tender that were gonna give him if no one gives him an offer.

what happens next season if we get brunell, don't win the superbowl, then lose ogunleye to free agency since he'll be unrestricted and madison decides to hang them up after getting beat all season, and we're stuck with a weak draft class?

You need to look at this link..it will show you how Miami can get below the cap enough to add the players I mentioned..

http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/salaries.php

As you can see...by cutting Griese before June 1st..Miami will save 6.3 million dollars. That's more than half of the insurmountable total of 10 million you seem to think will be so hard to manage. As you can see, Miami can also save 1.2 mill by cutting McKnight...1.9 mill for cutting Ruddy...1.3 for cutting David Bowens...8k for cutting Thompson...all with minimal cap penalties. That's 11.5 million dollars saved with small cap penalties...and that's before I even start with restructuring.

They can't afford to simply cut Fiedler before June 1st...his cap penalty is 3.7 million for 3 years. Same for Fletcher and Marion.

These players need to restructure...
Mare, Fletcher, Marion, Fiedler, Bowens and hopefully Madison, Thomas and maybe Taylor.

It can be done without letting Ogunleye and Madison go.

"edit: brunell and garcia are patchwork because they are a stopgap, we still need a qb for the future, they aren't QB's that will be around for a significant amount of time. Temporary solution to a permanent problem. "

What are you saying exactly? We need a rookie starter? Because there aren't any great young free agent QB's available that I know of that are better than Brunell or Garcia. If you've seen someone like that let me know.

If you don't want Brunell because he is a short term solution, do you suggest that Miami draft a QB that can step in and start for them for 10 years? That's the hardest thing to find in the NFL. That's what everybody wants. We need a QB like Brunell to give Miami a chance to succeed while the rookie QB learns on the bench (like Pennington).

I just think it could be a mistake to let a good young player go. I'm still having nightmares about a great, young Troy Vincent getting away from the Miami and making pro bowl after pro bowl. If it happens again..I would be sick.

MY WORST NIGHTMARE

The year is 2007. The Dolphins have a top-rated offense led by QB Ben Roethlisberger, RB Ricky Williams and WR's Chris Chambers and Mike Clayton. They have a solid, young offensive line. They can keep teams off balance with their mix of the run and pass...and they finished in the top 5 in total points and yards.

Unfortunately, the Dolphins couldn't make the playoffs because their defense ranked near the bottom of the league. The Dolphins sack numbers dropped for the 3rd year in a row because Miami has failed to find a solid compliment to Jason Taylor since the departure of Adewale Ogunleye. For the 2nd time in 4 years, Miami will be looking for an upgrade at CB opposite perrenial pro bowler Pat Surtain.

Meanwhile 29 year old Adewale Ogunleye made his 4th trip to the pro bowl and Sam Madison made the Dolphins regret letting him go by intercepting 6 passes.

I hope the new GM won't let this happen.

I only can think of a couple things to save money...

Getting rid of Ruddy, Perry, McKnight, Fiedler, and Griese...

Do not re-sign Todd Wade...we have to have priorities and that means not dumping money into RT when we need a LT, so I say put Wade Smith in at RT where he can play for at least one more year, before he gets moved back to LT.

Cut Sam Madison. Not worth his pay with his badmouthing the coach, other players, and his consistently getting burnt. Bottom line is he was once really good, and no longer is.

As for the rest, heck if I know. Get a QB some how some way (Peyton Manning style, hehehe), get a veteran LT who can hold the fort for like a year (i dunno, Derrick Deese?). I say keep Derrius give him another shot also give a decent shot to the youngsters like Newson, Tolver, and Simmons. I dunno what to do with Ogun but I think we can keep him another year...lets hope

Back
Top Bottom