Offseason MLB rumors | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

unifiedtheory said:
I think you secretly love the Oakland A's. :wink::tongue:

:lol:

I'm a big fan of their players (I love Harden, Dusch and Street) and GM. I respect the way they go about playing the game and yes I do root for them to do well (when they're not playing the Red Sox of course). I'm also a big fan of the Angels too.

Ray Finkle said:
No, Jeter wasn't even better defensively than Juan Uribe, but it's a popularity contest not about true skills. Having watch a lot of both Gonzo and Jeter, I'd take Gonzo's glove and range over Jeter any day of the week and that's not the homer in my talking it's a fact. Gonzo is the best defensive SS in baseball hands down.

Of course other guys got screwed out of GG awards too this year (Mark Ellis anyone?) but like I said before it's all about names.

Uribe had some struggles this year. He's not a name like Jeter so he's not going to get the award. I think Gonzo is a better defensive SS than Jeter but as dumb as it is offensive numbers count for the award. I watched more of Crede than Chavez so I can't make a great arguement on why he deserved the gold glove; Although Aaron Roward was the best defensive CF in the AL last year but because he wasn't a name guy he got no consideration.

AUGH! No more Gold Glove talk! This is an offseason rumor thread. Go start a Gold Glove thread somewhere else!

Aurilia at second for the Mets? We've already got an old, offense-first, defense-later second baseman in Jose Valentin. Aurilia's probably an upgrade, if they don't spend too much for him. However, I'd make sure Soriano doesn't insist on moving back to second before making that deal. Sounds like the Mets will be frontrunners for Soriano, and I'm wondering if he won't insist on a move back there.

Edit: I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see the Mets sign Piazza as a backup catcher and designated pinch hitter.

If Pedro retires that really hurts the Mets.

I know he is out till July anyway, but they invested a lot of money into him and have a lot riding on him.

MikeO said:

I know he is out till July anyway, but they invested a lot of money into him and have a lot riding on him.

The problem is that if he retires, I doubt he'll retire until June-July at the earliest when he's got an idea about how his shoulder is. And even then, I personally think he'd wait until NEXT offseason to retire.

If Pedro retired right now, that honestly wouldn't be a terrible thing, as much as I hate to say it. There's no way on God's green earth he's going to be worth the $28 million that he's due in 2007 and 2008. I'd be just as happy to see that money freed up and see the team offer Zito the 5 years and $75 million Boras is demanding. He couldn't be a worse long-term investment than Martinez was. (I believe the Mets figured they'd get two great years, one decent one and one write-off in a four year deal for Pedro. Instead, they've gotten 1 1/4 great ones, 1/4 crummy one and one write-off so far.)

MikeO said:

I don't believe Pedro will retire for a second. There's just too much money on the table for him to walk away. Pedro is one of the smartest guys in baseball, he won't do it.

My take on the situation is this: Liriano's name has been all over the news about being out for the 2007, so Pedro, being the diva that he is, is mad his name isn't in the news like in has in the past few days comes out with this story. It's just Pedro trying to get back into the headlines. I wouldn't read into it at all.

FiN.in.RI said:
But Jeter wasn't better defensively than Gonzalez this season.
seabass has been robbed the last 3 years too i thought for sure he would get it this year being on boston

Mets are very interested and are expected to sign Mark Mulder according to reports

The Yanks will sign Mussina to a 2 year deal and keep him around

MikeO said:
Mets are very interested and are expected to sign Mark Mulder according to reports

The Yanks will sign Mussina to a 2 year deal and keep him around

Good. Mulder and Pedro can swap rotator cuff rehab tips.

FiN.in.RI said:
Mets, yanks and sox for Matsuzaka... Did you know he has a pitch that breaks to the left??

I wonder who wins the bidding. :rolleyes:

If the Yankees are truly in it, their going to win, plain and simple!

FiN.in.RI said:
Are the bids open to the public? I mean, if NYY bids and the Mets or Sox bid higher, how will the NYY know?

Yeah it's a silent auction but if the Yankees really want this kid their going to lay down chips the Mets and Red Sox won't even come close to approaching. If they want this kid bad enough their going to bid 35 million or something ridiculous like that. It's just how the Yankees work, if they want him they'll get him. On top of that once the numbers are in their going to ask him his preference and if his preference is the Yankees (which all indications say it is) then they'll find a way to make it happen. This is why it's a silent auction. If the Red Sox bid 30 million and the Yankees bid 28 and this kid wants to go to the Yankees they'll find a silent way to get 31 million from the Yankees if you know what I mean!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Yeah it's a silent auction but if the Yankees really want this kid their going to lay down chips the Mets and Red Sox won't even come close to approaching. If they want this kid bad enough their going to bid 35 million or something ridiculous like that. It's just how the Yankees work, if they want him they'll get him. On top of that once the numbers are in their going to ask him his preference and if his preference is the Yankees (which all indications say it is) then they'll find a way to make it happen. This is why it's a silent auction. If the Red Sox bid 30 million and the Yankees bid 28 and this kid wants to go to the Yankees they'll find a silent way to get 31 million from the Yankees if you know what I mean!

I thought I remembered reading that it was like the NFL supplemental draft. IIRC, you don't know how much the other teams bid, you just offer the amount of money you think it would take.

Back
Top Bottom