Offseason MLB rumors | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

RWhitney014 said:
I thought I remembered reading that it was like the NFL supplemental draft. IIRC, you don't know how much the other teams bid, you just offer the amount of money you think it would take.

You're right that's how it works. But I think we'd be naive to think that deals don't get made under the table. I'm sure the highest bid will be leaked out an hour or so before the deadline (Yankees already said they won't make a bid until 10 minutes until the deadline).

This kid's agent is Boras. Nuff said. If another team offers more than the Yanks .........Boras knowing the Yanks have no limit will just make it happen.

He will wind up with the Yanks!

MikeO said:
This kid's agent is Boras. Nuff said. If another team offers more than the Yanks .........Boras knowing the Yanks have no limit will just make it happen.

Hey MikeO...could you shoot me a PM when the Phillies get Soriano or Sheff?
Thanks. :tongue:

Roman529 said:
Hey MikeO...could you shoot me a PM when the Phillies get Soriano or Sheff?
Thanks. :tongue:

Dude I just post rumors that are in the newspaper. I never said either would happen :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Yeah it's a silent auction but if the Yankees really want this kid their going to lay down chips the Mets and Red Sox won't even come close to approaching. If they want this kid bad enough their going to bid 35 million or something ridiculous like that. It's just how the Yankees work, if they want him they'll get him. On top of that once the numbers are in their going to ask him his preference and if his preference is the Yankees (which all indications say it is) then they'll find a way to make it happen. This is why it's a silent auction. If the Red Sox bid 30 million and the Yankees bid 28 and this kid wants to go to the Yankees they'll find a silent way to get 31 million from the Yankees if you know what I mean!

Yes and this gives you no unfair advantage.. if you know what I mean..

MikeO said:

You're not getting this. The only party that knows what each team bid is the league. The individual teams just bid the amount they think is necessary without any knowledge of what the other teams did. Boras has no control over it.

If he did, guys like Johjima and Ichiro and Shinji Mori and on and on and on would have all been in pinstripes.

RWhitney014 said:
You're not getting this. The only party that knows what each team bid is the league. The individual teams just bid the amount they think is necessary without any knowledge of what the other teams did. Boras has no control over it.

If he did, guys like Johjima and Ichiro and Shinji Mori and on and on and on would have all been in pinstripes.

you guys are so naive its funny!!!

Big rumors that Texas will overbid everyone for the rights to the Japanese pitcher floating around.

Gary Sheffield - #11 - Right Field - 6'0" - 215lbs
News: Yankees exercised outfielder Gary Sheffield's $13 million option for 2007.
Impact: The plan is for Sheffield to be fairly soon, but the Yankees are still waiting for the right offer after reportedly turning down Kris Benson from the Orioles. The Astros, Indians, Rangers, Phillies, Padres and Tigers are believed to be interested. (Sun. Nov 5, 2006)

Mike Mussina - #35 - Pitcher - 6'2" - 190lbs

News: Mike Mussina said Saturday that he believes he'll soon have a finalized deal with the Yankees.
Impact: Negotiations are proceeding so well that Mussina hasn't even filed for free agency yet. "Everything's going fine," he said. "We're getting there. I'm confident we'll work something out." Mussina is expected to get at least $20 million for two years. (Sun. Nov 5, 2006)

:)

RWhitney014 said:

The league may be the only party that KNOWS, but Boras has enough connections and enough inside info to have a pretty educated guess as to what teams are planning to bid. In theory, he could tell the Yankees, "hey, word is that the Mets are the high bidder at $25M."

Would he actually do this? I doubt it. Boras has a rep as a hard negotiator and a man who gets every last dime for his clients. But, part of the reason he can do that is because he, to everything I've heard, operates on the up-and-up. If he started feeding confidential info to one team or another, his rep would be shot, and he's got enough enemies that retribution, be it a huge fine, suspension from practice or (long shot) decertification by the MLBPA, would be swift and assured.

If Boras REALLY wanted to steer Matsuzaka to the Yankees, he'd simply say that his client didn't want to play for anyone else. And if something happened where another team won the bidding, Boras would simply tell that team "he's only playing in the Bronx. You're welcome to trade your bidding rights to them." Remember The Fat, ***** Toad...er, Hideki Irabu. (Edit: In this context, ***** is not the slang for a woman's private area, or a reference to a four-legged furry animal, but rather a reference to being full of pus...which is arguably worse. That George Steinbrenner is quite a wordsmith.)

But if Boras did that, he'd be painting himself into a corner. The bid price would be lower, and the Yankees, shrewd negotiators that they are, wouldn't be paying top dollar for Matsuzaka. Boras would get a rep as being beholden to the Yankees, which is the LAST thing he wants.

So, conspiracy theories are well and good, but in reality, the downside to Boras being in cahoots with the Yankees is too great for a smart guy like him to risk. Especially when the Yankees will probably shoot the moon with a bid in the first place, and thus get the desired outcome in a completely legal manner.

Rangers to talk about trading Mark Texeria to Detroit.

Rumor in today's Detriot News

The St. Petersburg Times reported whispers the Mets might be ready to trade pitcher Aaron Heilman mean the Rays, who have coveted Heilman as a starter, could pursue him.

The New York Post reported the Yankees intend to sign Mike Mussina to a two-year contract and trade Gary Sheffield to initiate an offseason plan in which they will emphasize upgrading their rotation, bullpen, catching and, if possible, farm system. The Astros, Padres, Rangers, Indians and Tigers have shown the strongest interest in Sheffield. Among the free agents who could intrigue the Yankees are Detroit pitcher Wil Ledezma, San Diego reliever Scott Linebrink and Texas catcher Gerald Laird.

The New York Post reported Mark Loretta might be one of the Mets' top choices to play second base. They have shown more interest in him than any other club so far, Loretta's agent said

heilman has been linked to the rays forever now, and i can not understand it. im not a fan of his and wouldnt be happy if we gave up anything worth a **** for him.

Back
Top Bottom