ogun coming off back burner?! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ogun coming off back burner?!

Originally posted by LIQUID24
Excuse me, but you popped off at somebody on this thread for saying we're not going to take Rivers.
I have nothing against you or Rivers. I just don't think we are going to or should take him.
I have no problem with people dissagreeing with me, I'm a big boy, I can take it.
However if I disagree with someone, why shouldn't I speak up? I thought that was the whole point of a message board. I'm sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intent. I just happen to disagree with you, and I'm letting you know, that's all.
It's called being a Hypocrite.

Originally posted by Dphins4me
It's called being a Hypocrite.

Seriously, if you think I was being hypocritical, I apologize.

However, here was my original post -
Quote:
Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
I want that Bears pick at 14 overall.

We'd have a chance at
getting QB Rivers, OL Andrews, and WR Woods

We could even trade back at 14 or 20 overall and get one of these guys with the other pick.

And here was your original response to my post.

"I will be sooooo glad when the draft is over and I do not have to read about Rivers and Miami taking him. They just spent a No. 2 on Feeley. They are not about to take another QB with a high pick. "

Fortunately the Draft is only a few weeks away......Hopfully we'll do a great job draft day....I think there will be some great opportunities for us at 20 overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

I wondered for awhile why it is that you and a few others seem to be so rude when anyone posts that they think Rivers is a good choice. Then I looked up your profile and saw your a few years out of high school. Now I don't wonder why.

You've popped off to just about every Pro Rivers post that has come on this board. I could care less who the Dolphins draft. I want them to draft the best player.

I like Rivers a lot. I would love to see him in a Miami Dolphins uniform. However, the truth is that it is high unlikely that he will be a Dolphin in 2004. We just traded a 2nd rounder for Feeley, so I highly doubt that we will spend a first rounder on Rivers.

Also, why does it matter what liquid's age is? Age has nothing to do with how much someone knows about football.

I still see this as a value issue: if we can't get a 1 and a 3, then I'm not sure it's worth it.

If we do get a 1, (say 14 for example) than we gain flexibility in the draft, which is nice. Personally, I think we go O-Line (Andrews?) and DT - a two gap run stuffer, or LB - Vilma.

I don't think it will be Rivers, but you never know.

If we don't get a 1 and a three, I think I'd like to try to resign him. But I'm not conviced that he's going to be 'reasonable' with his deal - the early warning signs of not signing the tender, and threat of sitting out all but 6 games makes me want to pass him off to someone else and get the picks now.

If he's willing to take a 'reasonable' offer and still play hard, he'll be a nice player for years to come.

Again with the trade Ogun talk. Can't people here see that we have a great player here and they want to trade him for a damn pick?I know the old"we don't wanna lose him for nothing"story. Do you guys think that Rick's an idiot and is gonna let him go for nothing?I trust Rick in everything he's doing and I think he'll make the right call with Ogun too.Lets keep Ogun and Pat and Sam will be very happy.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by dodge
with restricted free agency coming to a close, i figure either a team is going to suddenly get very motivated to sign or work out trade compensation with the fins or no team makes any offers and then the ball is back in rick's court. rick has had imo a really good offseason so for and i would hate to see it get mired up by an ugly negotiating fiasco with ogun and have bad blood and hold outs and such. for this reason i really hope right after the draft, if ogun is still ours, that rick gets this contract worked out.

Whch is exactly why at the FIRST sign of things getting ugly they should STOP negotiating. Say, "FORGET IT, you can play for the tender or watch from home." You might say that would piss Ogun off and would make things even worse, but you have to understand that ANY spouting off or acting like an *** only hurts HIM and his price next year. Rosenhaus understands that... and he doesn't want to lose out on any money, so I think he will straighten him out if it comes to that.

I'd like to trade O-gun for the picks instead of keeping him, cuz i get this bad feelin he's gonna ask for huge, JT-like money that we cant afford to give him (especially with the junk Rosenhaus has been spoutin off lately). I'd rather get picks now than lose him for nothing after next season, personally.

Ogun has been setting up this negotiation for years with quotes in the press, he was/is underpaid now and does deserve a better package...I hope he accepts something 'reasonable' and we are able to rework others contracts to fit him in. I think he really is looking to get paid large, though, to make up for lost years

The funny thing about the Ogun situation is that the question is only a matter of WHEN he gets his money....It'll either be with us if we can work out a deal with him this year or with us later in the year, after he has signed the tender offer or after next season with some other team or before the draft with some other team and we get something in return via draft picks.....one way or the other, he'll get his money. If someone offers him the tender, we will at least get the picks for him...if they don't we will still get next years' play from him (I doubt he will hold out), but nothing after that....unless we can work out a deal after the season starts, but that is not the Fins way of negotiating....

Originally posted by LarryFinFan
The funny thing about the Ogun situation is that the question is only a matter of WHEN he gets his money....It'll either be with us if we can work out a deal with him this year or with us later in the year, after he has signed the tender offer or after next season with some other team or before the draft with some other team and we get something in return via draft picks.....one way or the other, he'll get his money. If someone offers him the tender, we will at least get the picks for him...if they don't we will still get next years' play from him (I doubt he will hold out), but nothing after that....unless we can work out a deal after the season starts, but that is not the Fins way of negotiating....

Unless he needs to change a light bulb.

Sign Ogun and give him the money he deserves.It would be stupid to trade Ogun for draft picks.Whos going to replace Ogun if he is traded?Ogun is a proven Blue Chip LDE and it would not be wise trying to draft a LDE that is unproven to take his spot.
Ogun out played Taylor last year despite people saying Taylor was double teamed.It is alot harder to find a stud LDE then it is a RDE.

Originally posted by 4THand10
Sign Ogun and give him the money he deserves.It would be stupid to trade Ogun for draft picks.Whos going to replace Ogun if he is traded?Ogun is a proven Blue Chip LDE and it would not be wise trying to draft a LDE that is unproven to take his spot.
Ogun out played Taylor last year despite people saying Taylor was double teamed.It is alot harder to find a stud LDE then it is a RDE.

Yeah, just resign him. Easy to say, right? So, if he has outplayed JT, then he needs to get paid like JT, right?

Uh, where is that money going to come from? Oh, I know, we can let Chambers go next year! Yeah. :down:

Seriously, we have not made the playoffs for TWO years, because the offense is weak. Having O-gun here has NOT made the difference in getting to the postseason has it? No, it hasn't.

O-gun is a young, talented guy. It would be great to keep him. There is no way to do that without letting some other part of the team take the hit, like losing Chambers for example.

If we are given a good offer for him, we need to let him go. Otherwise we keep him for this season, then he goes away and we have NOTHING to show for it. There is no way we can put a franchise tag on him next year, it would cost what? Six or seven million to do so?

We will just have to hope that Bowens or another guy can step up and play solid. Such is life in a salary cap NFL...

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

Yeah, just resign him. Easy to say, right? So, if he has outplayed JT, then he needs to get paid like JT, right?

Uh, where is that money going to come from? Oh, I know, we can let Chambers go next year! Yeah. :down:

Seriously, we have not made the playoffs for TWO years, because the offense is weak. Having O-gun here has NOT made the difference in getting to the postseason has it? No, it hasn't.

O-gun is a young, talented guy. It would be great to keep him. There is no way to do that without letting some other part of the team take the hit, like losing Chambers for example.

If we are given a good offer for him, we need to let him go. Otherwise we keep him for this season, then he goes away and we have NOTHING to show for it. There is no way we can put a franchise tag on him next year, it would cost what? Six or seven million to do so?

We will just have to hope that Bowens or another guy can step up and play solid. Such is life in a salary cap NFL...

The Dolphins are around 5million under the cap and then you Have Oguns tender of around 1.8million.So the Dolphins have around 6.8 million to work with to resign Ogun. And you can bet if he signs a long term deal the 1st couple of years will have a low salary agaisnt the cap.The contract would most likely be heavily back loaded.
And as far Chambers the Dolphins have said they are planning to give him an extension.And the Dolphins are planning on giving Surtain an extension also so they can free up more money.

Spend now, pay later? It can be done if you want it badly enough. You WILL pay for it later though. The Salary cap hit is put off for a year or two, then hits hard. Ask teams like the Niners or Jags how much fun it was to hit the salary cap wall, have to cut good players and rebuild.

We should have signed Woody and Tait then, despite the record contracts they got. We could have arranged some contracts to make it work... for awhile.

It is harder at times to make the tough choices about how to spend, rather than just "going for it" and hoping it pays off in a championship. IF I knew that keeping O-gun would result in a Super Bowl win, then I'd be willing to cheat the cap for now, and deal with the hit when it came. It would be worth a bad year just to hit that high point. Overspending is no guarantee though of winning, and you pay either way.

I'd also point out that we need to sign the rookies this year, and leave a bit for other FA players who might get cut after June 1st.

We could gamble that Feeley is the real deal, cut Jay to save his money, and resign O-gun with that money after June 1st. :evil: Risky, but I could be talked into that if Feeley looked good and we drafted a QB too. Remember, we have to give up somebody to keep O-gun. That is how it goes.

"We could gamble that Feeley is the real deal, cut Jay to save his money, and resign O-gun"

There is no way we can cut Fiedler this offseason, if Feeley can't pickup the system quickly we would be screwed, Fiedler had to stay as an insurance policy, we know we can win football games with Fiedler, we don't know if we can with Feeley. Hopefully Feeley turns out to be a guy who can win football games for us. Notice the difference, Fiedler doesn't win football games for us, but we can win with him. We don't know if we can win with Feeley yet.

Back
Top Bottom