Ogun is Eagles top priority | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun is Eagles top priority

kearse has not been same player for 2+ seasons and has injury history. Winstrom is much older. Ogun is only 26 i think

Originally posted by PhinKev

I think you are jumping to unfair conclusions based on what I said. I think we should spend more on offense, but that doesn't mean you dump young talent on defense. If you want to reduce the spending on defense then you dump the older slower guys like maybe a Madison. You certainly don't let a guy like Ogun with years of good play ahead of him go.

I'm feelin' ya. :D

Preach on my brother.....

Originally posted by lauderdale
I know everybody is hyped to get picks for OGUN but… Why would any team waste 2 picks on him if they can sign Wistrom or Kearse and not surrender any picks? Not to down what Wally has done here but is he really that much better than Kearse or Wistrom in the eyes of the rest of the NFL teams?

One word..........

Consistency

Wistrom is only 27 and Kearse is "The Freak" when healthy. It should be noted also that "no restricted free agent has ever signed an offer sheet that required a suitor to surrender first- and third-round draft choices as compensation, which is the tender the Dolphins will place on Ogunleye by Tuesday's NFL deadline".

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...eb29,0,3684241.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

I'm just not convinced that OGUN will command such a high value with 2 other veteran DE's that are UFA. Hopefully I am wrong.

The team is in a win-win situation here. It would be nice to get a 1st and 3rd for Ogunleye. It would also be nice to underpay him 1.9 million dollars (did I just say that) for his services this year. If he's still on the team in 2005 we could possibly do something long term then. If not, so be it.

There is nothing lost here.

I take issue with that article that said no 1st and 3rd has been paid for an RFA. If I'm not mistaken, the Jets signed Curtis Martin to an offer sheet from the Patriots and the compensation was a 1st and 3rd. The Pats used the picks to select RB Robert Edwards (Round 1 pick #18 overall), and RB Chris Floyd (Round 3 pick #81 overall).

I think it was a major gaffe on the part of that particular paper, the Sun Sentinel...unless somehow Curtis Martin was a franchise player and back then the compensation was a 1st and 3rd instead of two firsts...but I'm 99% certain Martin was an RFA and the Jets just paid a 1st and 3rd with a poison pill contract to get him.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I take issue with that article that said no 1st and 3rd has been paid for an RFA. If I'm not mistaken, the Jets signed Curtis Martin to an offer sheet from the Patriots and the compensation was a 1st and 3rd. The Pats used the picks to select RB Robert Edwards (Round 1 pick #18 overall), and RB Chris Floyd (Round 3 pick #81 overall).

I think it was a major gaffe on the part of that particular paper, the Sun Sentinel...unless somehow Curtis Martin was a franchise player and back then the compensation was a 1st and 3rd instead of two firsts...but I'm 99% certain Martin was an RFA and the Jets just paid a 1st and 3rd with a poison pill contract to get him.

I haven't reread it, but if I recall the article said no undrafted FA has ever been traded for a 1st an a 3rd.

Originally posted by Lukin
I don't think philly will bite on Ogun. It just seems to me that they need WR more than DE and they can fix that w/ their 1st round pick.

That's my hope also. While they do need DE, wR and OT are more pressing for them from what I can tell. They hace the cap to go after someone like Keasre or winstrom also.

Originally posted by spike owen
People keep saying they wouldn't make this move (for the 28th pick). It's not a choice. Ogun is a restricted free agent. If he signs an offer sheet with a team, we can either match it or take their 1st and 3rd round picks. We can't block the deal. If Philly wants him, they get him (or we match).

I think folx are speaking of their "druthers" if they had a choice. Either case, it's a good situation to be in cuz the team has a say in any deal he get's. They can say yes we still want him and match or we'll take the picks. IMO, it all boils down to how much the offer is that he gets. If it's too cheap, we match it. If it's SD, it don't matter. Take the frikkin' picks !!! ;) :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by rafael

I haven't reread it, but if I recall the article said no undrafted FA has ever been traded for a 1st an a 3rd.

The article was wrong. Curtis Martin WAS a RFA in 98 when the jets signed him and did give up a 1st and a 3rd. Guess the paper just didn't look hard enough. But if THEY said it, it must be gospel !! :lol: :lol:

http://www.iis-sports.com/draft/1998/notes.html

Just a note. The Eagles are also reportedly willing to trade OT Tra Thomas. He could conceivably be involved if a trade was worked out for Ogunleye.

Ogun Must Stay

Ogun must stay, if he doesnt then they will b double teaming j-tay and BOOM no more dolphin pass rush

Back
Top Bottom