Ogunleye talking about lost love | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye talking about lost love

You gotta look at it from Ogun's perspective. Grant Wistrom got a $14mill bonus. Wistrom has 12 sacks in the past 2 years....COMBINED. Ogun has twice as many (24.5 sacks) in that same period.

So I don't blame him for asking for that kinda money. However, I don't think the Fins should give in to his demands. Both sides are playing their cards right so far.
The only thing that bugs me is his threat to sit out, and I hope he doesn't follow through on that threat. I'll be pissed if he does.

Scrap said:
IMO, when you sign a contract for a set amount, you should play out that contract before asking for more cash, reguardless of how well you do. If he sucks, I doubt he will give any of the cash back.

That might be, but NFL contracts are not guaranteed like in other sports. If he sucks, we will cut him. If the contract were guaranteed on both sides, then I would be more rigid in my belief that you play out a contract. However, with the short window that these players have, coupled with the fact that the team doesn't have to honor the full amount of money--just the signing bonus, then I do not begrudge a player like AO or Priest (from a couple of years ago) getting what they can.

PhinPhreak said:
Bottom line is that the Fins have to stop signing players with the initials O.G. if they want to avoid contract problems. :lol:

What the hecks that got to do with Wale?

OGUN reminds me of Dr. Evil! "Mr. Huizenga, I willplay for your Dolphins to the tune of...one hundred billion gazillian dollars"! Man a 6-7 mil signing bonus should enable the dude to friggin eat 5 squares a day for his life, have a mansion, a big friggin boat, cars, house keepers, and more than enough to invest to make a crap load more. He is a very good football player, but he is not elite.

fin13 said:
Taylorj99 you are on the right track, this is a defensive team first, that's how we win.
who is more valuable Ogun or Chambers.
Given the uncertainty at QB with AJ we all know Jay can't get it done we need a top defence, if AJ delivers then things change.

The fins are a defensive team but I disagree with your reasoning, the very FACT that the QB situation is uncetain makes Chambers even MORE valuable than O-gun.
Bowens was pencilled in to start before his "light bulb" accident and although he may not be as good as O-gun now, we can afford to take a hit on defense to strenghten the offense. If the offense improves, stays on the field longer and scores more TDs than FGs that in its self helps the defense. :)

A.O is being a little selfish. Signing a 1.8 million dollar tender isnt so hard to ask, as long as the team says theyll work on a long-term contract. If i work for a radio show and my ratings go way up, im not gonna hold out and say "im not doin ur show anymore untill i get more cash!" You just be mature about it and make sure u tell ur boss tht when ur contract expires. I see where hes comming from, but he obviously doesnt see where the team is comming from. We need to sign him and get him workin quickly tho. If it doesnt work out i believe our LDE rotation will b nopt as good, but still adequete. the comment AO is more valuable then CCC is ridiculous. If we dont have CC then our offence will b just like last year. One WR being double teamed while Ricky gets stacked.

fin13 said:
He is doing the right thing tryng to secure his future, he did play 2 years for peanuts now its time to put the money on the table.
I agree with what he's doing, the FO could have worked this out last year, look at Mccardel in Tampa he makes a good peso he's under contract but he wants more, we would love to see him cut so we could sign him, so which one is it.
Ogun should get paid.

I agree...he can't report for camp now because if he does, he is in effect saying, "Negotiations are substantially over, you have won." Maybe he is holding out like he is now precisely because he was injured a few years ago and knows how tenuous an NFL career is.
What gets me is how everyone is focusing on how greedy Ogun is, why? If he is greedy, it will be made apparent by the market, as the (not quite) free market of the NFL will demonstrate. On the other hand, the Dolphins front office is being greedy by trying to retain a talented player at less than market rates. NFL salary and contract regulations definitely favor the front office, and they are using every trick they can to their advantage.

Rugar said:
Screw that loser, David Bowens is better anyway.Oguns attitude sucks anyway.I just wish we couldve found some sucker to give us 1st rounder.
i agree jason taylor played out his contract played great then he got his big pay day!!!!! :mad:

TRUDOLFAN54 said:
i agree jason taylor played out his contract played great then he got his big pay day!!!!! :mad:

Go back and check out Taylor's stats. If he didn't sign the require tender in 2000 and have a great career year he would have been paid peanuts instead of the biggest contract for a DE to date.

Taylor's 2000 year is practically identical to Ogunleye's 2003 year. The major difference in their careers up to their great break out year is that Taylor had a good rookie year and Ogunleye was hurt. The other difference is Jason got a about a $350k signing bonus his first year and Wale got about a $7.5k signing bonus because he was a hurt undrafted rookie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3968

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=5768

IMO, when you sign a contract for a set amount, you should play out that contract before asking for more cash, reguardless of how well you do. If he sucks, I doubt he will give any of the cash back.

Many continue to think this mistaken assumption. Wale played out his contract and is un-signed. Now is the time to negotiate a new deal because he will be worth much more as a UFA.

If he signs the required tender for exclusive negotiation rights then he is under contract for the minimum again.
Granted it was a much larger minimum but minimum none the less so the team would not lose him in free agency.

As much as some think Rosenhaus and Ogunleye are being hard headed so is the team. Both sides of this contract negotiation like to wait for the last minute when all the pressure is on to hammer out compromises.

Back
Top Bottom