Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About....

LoneStarPhin

Active Roster
Reaction score
Favor him or not, at least try to keep it fact based:

1. It has not been "7 years" .... you're using that for demagoguery effect. He has played 4 and a half seasons.

2. he hasnt had multiple injuries nor is he like an oft injured player striggling w injuries past two years (like Pouncey for example). He's amazingly durable and he incurred an injury by a cheap shot directly to knee of a planted foot.

3. most of us (including mgmt and coaches) are not waiting for Thill to "arrive" or have his "breakout season" - that already happened in 2016 and it was cut off by the injury.

4. by most objective measures, he has improved his play each season, which is remarkable, and he was a pretty decent rookie QB playing behind a godawful line.

5. this is the last and biggest truth, and hardest for some to grasp- a QB in NFL can only do so much. he can make a bad team ok. he can make an ok team pretty good. and he can make a good team great.

Gase is trying to build a good team first.

He's a maddening player to have on your team. He has all the tools to be a great QB, has had pretty good to good results already and there are good reasons to believe that he will actually improve significantly despite the fact that he's approaching 30. At the same, if you were looking at the same QB on any other team you'd say he's an average NFL QB at best. I go back and forth from saying the Dolphins should just cut him, to giving him one more season to really show us what he's got.

With a cuttable contract after the year, 2018 will be Tannehills make or break year

Everything will be proven one way or the other in 2018
We’ve been saying this for four years and not much has changed since. The OL was still historically bad in 2017, the defense couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down, stupid penalties and mental errors all over the place. If all this continues in 2018 we will still debate Ryan Tannehill this time next year.

I'm still hoping someday, FH just insta-merges Tannehill threads into a Ryan Tannehill super mega thread...

I really dont want to bitch on the OP, but there's nothing new here that couldnt have been brought up in an existing thread already at the top of the page...

Favor him or not, at least try to keep it fact based:

1. It has not been "7 years" .... you're using that for demagoguery effect. He has played 4 and a half seasons.
what you are not saying is that he has been injured for a season and almost a half. Missing the last 20 games is a huge negative.

2. he hasnt had multiple injuries nor is he like an oft injured player striggling w injuries past two years (like Pouncey for example). He's amazingly durable and he incurred an injury by a cheap shot directly to knee of a planted foot.
he has had a single injury that is taking way longer than a normal injury that's for sure.

3. most of us (including mgmt and coaches) are not waiting for Thill to "arrive" or have his "breakout season" - that already happened in 2016 and it was cut off by the injury.
that is a pretty low bar. even during his winning stretch he was helped by some historical performances by ajayi and some clutch defense and special teams.

4. by most objective measures, he has improved his play each season, which is remarkable, and he was a pretty decent rookie QB playing behind a godawful line.
agreed.

5. this is the last and biggest truth, and hardest for some to grasp- a QB in NFL can only do so much. he can make a bad team ok. he can make an ok team pretty good. and he can make a good team great.
some QBs can do more than others and I am not satisfied as a competitor with that rationalization.

Gase is trying to build a good team first.

I also wish people would stop using win/losses as a standard, but then discredit the QB for a win bc the other pieces of the team finally stepped up.

So basically if the QB didn't win it alone, then he's useless.

Hate to be a nitpicker, but your point 5 isn't a FACT but rather an OPINION. I happen to agree with the opinion, but it is just that.

I point it out because convoluting facts with even just one opinion will invalidate the entire list and provides an open rebuttal to your premise. If your goal was to establish fundamental facts that everyone can agree on, and to form discussion from there, then the addition of just one opinion may negate the acceptance of any other facts presented.

Back
Top Bottom