Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About....

Favor him or not, at least try to keep it fact based:

1. It has not been "7 years" .... you're using that for demagoguery effect. He has played 4 and a half seasons.

2. he hasnt had multiple injuries nor is he like an oft injured player striggling w injuries past two years (like Pouncey for example). He's amazingly durable and he incurred an injury by a cheap shot directly to knee of a planted foot.

3. most of us (including mgmt and coaches) are not waiting for Thill to "arrive" or have his "breakout season" - that already happened in 2016 and it was cut off by the injury.

4. by most objective measures, he has improved his play each season, which is remarkable, and he was a pretty decent rookie QB playing behind a godawful line.

5. this is the last and biggest truth, and hardest for some to grasp- a QB in NFL can only do so much. he can make a bad team ok. he can make an ok team pretty good. and he can make a good team great.

Gase is trying to build a good team first.

1. Not worth addressing

2. Correct - very durable quarterback throughout his career, hopefully this knee has no lingering issues but we don't know anything for sure until he's out there.

3. Not worth addressing

4. This is the best part of your post - he has shown noticeable and drastic improvement every single season. He has gotten very good at every aspect except for pocket feel/awareness. Still hoping he gets better there, but he has done everything to improve and has shown determination and MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT every year. This is huge.

5. Nah you're actually wrong here. I'm a Tannehill fan but the QB has the biggest and notable mark on how a team does other than coaching. A great quarterback, or one with intangibles, will help his team pull out games they probably shouldn't. Tannehill hasn't shown this consistently... by most measurements other than pocket awareness, Tannehill is better than Andrew Luck... so why is there a DRASTIC difference of opinion? Because Andrew Luck wins. Because Andrew Luck pulls magic out of his ass. Because Andrew Luck has shown to be a leader... Ryan has shown a lot of intangibles, but he hasn't shown that he has that MAGIC yet... he's done it here and there, but he hasn't shown that he has that consistent and winning moxy of the best.

We can win with Tannehill... here's hoping he gets it all together this season.

He's a maddening player to have on your team. He has all the tools to be a great QB, has had pretty good to good results already and there are good reasons to believe that he will actually improve significantly despite the fact that he's approaching 30. At the same, if you were looking at the same QB on any other team you'd say he's an average NFL QB at best. I go back and forth from saying the Dolphins should just cut him, to giving him one more season to really show us what he's got.

Back up your claims w film from 16 or go away.

1. It has not been "7 years" .... you're using that for demagoguery effect. He has played 4 and a half seasons.

2. he hasnt had multiple injuries nor is he like an oft injured player striggling w injuries past two years (like Pouncey for example). He's amazingly durable and he incurred an injury by a cheap shot directly to knee of a planted foot.

3. most of us (including mgmt and coaches) are not waiting for Thill to "arrive" or have his "breakout season" - that already happened in 2016 and it was cut off by the injury.

4. by most objective measures, he has improved his play each season, which is remarkable, and he was a pretty decent rookie QB playing behind a godawful line.

5. this is the last and biggest truth, and hardest for some to grasp- a QB in NFL can only do so much. he can make a bad team ok. he can make an ok team pretty good. and he can make a good team great.

For context, what is your list of all QBs that have already "arrived?" Dak? Foles? Dalton?

I would take Dak over Tannehill right now. We're closer to Tannehills ceiling than we are to Dak's and if I'm betting, I'm betting on Dak to be overall more successful than Tannehill - if we want to be honest, he has already shown more measurable success than Tannehill has (regardless of all outside factors). Foles won a superbowl and had a magical season just a few prior... he has shown more magic than Tannehill too... honestly, Tannehill at this stage in his career mirrors Andy Dalton very well and that is not a compliment.

Again, I am a supporter of Tannehill but I have no bias toward him. I want him to succeed because I want this team to succeed. I don't need to apologize for him because he's a "good guy" and because our teams have been **** around him - both of which are very true.

Reactions: BSQ
Tannehill will be fine.....kids tough as nails and he was clicking pretty good when he went down....

There are much more pressing issues that will keep us from winning....like our linebacker play and stopping the run.

Reactions: BSQ
I'll be honest- it's incredibly hard to find a franchise quarterback. Tannehill is better than any qb that was drafted. Tannehill's injury is not severe enough for me to give up on him.

My frustration over points one and two cannot be overstated. "IT'S BEEN SIX YEARS! BLEAARGH!" No, it hasn't. "HE'S INJURY PRONE!" Seriously? Shut your ignorant hole.

Kudos to you for starting this. I've been tempted to myself, but I can understand the frustration on both sides.

Tannehill was a project when he was drafted. And I think, considering the BS that he dealt with the first four years of his career, he did remarkably well. However, there's no point in looking back. He has a limited window to succeed now; that window might not be well-defined at the moment, but it's not going to last forever.

As much as the "Tannehill is stealing money" narrative is bull****, the opposite extreme is also true. The Miami Dolphins do not owe Tannehill a damn thing. But here's the only thing that's relevant: Ryan Tannehill is the Miami Dolphins starting QB going into 2018. And I *firmly* believe Adam Gase has set him up to succeed better than anyone ever has. The haters can't do a Goddamn thing about it.

And if he fails? Or he gets hurt again? He's probably done. And I'll be right there for with the Fins the next guy under center.

But I don't think he will. The 2018 Dolphins will go as far as the TEAM executes well enough to take them. And I think they're just fine under center.

Fins up, baby.

I would take Dak over Tannehill right now. We're closer to Tannehills ceiling than we are to Dak's and if I'm betting, I'm betting on Dak to be overall more successful than Tannehill - if we want to be honest, he has already shown more measurable success than Tannehill has (regardless of all outside factors). Foles won a superbowl and had a magical season just a few prior... he has shown more magic than Tannehill too... honestly, Tannehill at this stage in his career mirrors Andy Dalton very well and that is not a compliment.

Again, I am a supporter of Tannehill but I have no bias toward him. I want him to succeed because I want this team to succeed. I don't need to apologize for him because he's a "good guy" and because our teams have been **** around him - both of which are very true.

Do your "outside factors" include having one of the best Offensive Lines in football for Dak's entire career?

I'm still hoping someday, FH just insta-merges Tannehill threads into a Ryan Tannehill super mega thread...

I really dont want to bitch on the OP, but there's nothing new here that couldnt have been brought up in an existing thread already at the top of the page...

I suggested it also, we need one mega pro Ryan thread and one mega against one. Lol

As Danny points out- at this point no matter what someone points out or posts- sides have been decided so..

1. Not worth addressing

New here? It's extremely relevant. I've seen at least a dozen hate posts trying to enforce the narrative that Tannehill has played for six years, while also critiquing him for being out for two years. It's ridiculous.

5. Nah you're actually wrong here. I'm a Tannehill fan but the QB has the biggest and notable mark on how a team does other than coaching. A great quarterback, or one with intangibles, will help his team pull out games they probably shouldn't. Tannehill hasn't shown this consistently... by most measurements other than pocket awareness, Tannehill is better than Andrew Luck... so why is there a DRASTIC difference of opinion? Because Andrew Luck wins. Because Andrew Luck pulls magic out of his ***. Because Andrew Luck has shown to be a leader... Ryan has shown a lot of intangibles, but he hasn't shown that he has that MAGIC yet... he's done it here and there, but he hasn't shown that he has that consistent and winning moxy of the best.

You're right. And here's the thing:

Unless the Colts do a hell of a lot better job surrounding Andrew Luck with a better team, and SOON...you know who his career is going to parallel?

Dan Marino's.

Unless the Colts do a damn sight better by their QB? He's never going to win a ring. To their credit, it LOOKS like they're trying.

Great QBs can absolutely hide flaws on teams...to an extent. It's an absolute shame that Marino didn't come in to the league five years sooner or ten years later. because if he did? He'd have multiple rings. But he had the misfortune of playing QB when Tom Olivadotti was DC for much of his career, and he retired right about the time when it became much harder for DB to defend in the NFL.

The point?

I don't WANT an incomplete team. I don't want the 1992 Dolphins, who Marino dragged as far as he could. That team had no damn business doing as well as it did, and Marino dragged them to an AFC Championship game all by himself, and then lost. I don't WANT a team that has to ONLY RELY on the magic of a QB. Because that doesn't work to win the Lombardi. If anyone proved that, it's Marino himself.

Everytime I hear both views on Tannehill
giphy_DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.gif

I posted a variation of this elsewhere and no doubt will continue to do so to make a point.

But cutting to the chase, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks anymore. By dint of their actions, Gase and the FO have decided to sink or swim with Tannehill. At this point, while it's perfectly valid to continue to discuss, dissect and debate the inadvisability of not drafting at least a developmental QB, there is absolutely no reason other than to continue what amounts to a perennial Tannehill circlejerk. The die is cast; nothing anyone here says or argues changes that!

RT17 a fact of life now that needs to be accepted. Either you root for him and the team to stay healthy and succeed which is a derivative of the word "fan" which comes from "fanatic," or if you don't, or choose to root against his success, it becomes very transparent that you are not a genuine, legitimate fan.

So if you're pro-Tannehill: hope for the best that your confidence is repaid; if you are a Tannehill detractor, it's time to suck it up or reveal yourself as more of a follower than a true fan.

Back
Top Bottom